The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Coschi

Help! Sally D not doing too well!

Hi All

Swim recently acquired this Salvia Divinorum (a week ago) and it came in a pretty unhealthy looking state. Leaves more yellow than green, curling, lots of holes, and many with crusty brown edges. The stem looks quite alright no abnormalities that he can see.

Swim knows nothing about looking after plants, but would really like to keep this one going and bring it back to a healthy stage, so he's after your advice! Fertilizers, potting mix etc.. etc..

Basically now its sitting in a shaded area in a pot with good looking soil and the pot has holes at the bottom. He's heard Sally D should be kept in a 50% shaded area with no more than 4 hours of direct sunlight a day.

Swim's worried because he noticed yesterday that there's a few leaves falling off (3 or 4) and he really doesn't know if this plant will make it. He waters it ~500 mLs every morning

Here's the pics, sorry for the blurriness they were taken with a phone, if necessary better photos can be taken no problem.

post-1530-1155703288_thumb.jpg post-1530-1155703307_thumb.jpg post-1530-1155703321_thumb.jpg

Please Please Please help this little battler survive!!

post-1530-1155703288_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1155703307_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1155703321_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1155703288_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1155703307_thumb.jpg

post-1530-1155703321_thumb.jpg

If Swims plant is outside and in a climate similar to Melbourne I would certainly tell him to bring the plant inside in a well lit kitchen/rathroom or simlar and away from winter draughts and cold radiating walls. Perhaps even trim back some of those aging leaves and it will reshoot from the base. Gently breaking up the soil around the base of Swims plant would help this process and allow air circualtion around the dormant root mass together with placing the plant on a plastic saucer withh pebbles sitting in the rim.

Remember Rev's tips about Grandmothers Begonia's and Impatiens in the fern house! :wink:

Edited by Tripitaka

post-1530-1155703288_thumb.jpg post-1530-1155703307_thumb.jpg post-1530-1155703321_thumb.jpg

Please Please Please help this little battler survive!!

I'm not experienced at all with this plant but here's some general tips apart from the good advice already above.

I wouldn't be watering this everyday. I'd stop watering it and let the top of the soil dry out to about 3cm deep before gently watering again. It looks like it might have root rot.

No fertilisers at the moment either.

About the only thing I'd suggest is a small dose of iron sulphate, about 5g mixed per 10 L and sprayed on the leaves with a mister once.

You can mist the leaves daily in the warmer part of the day when it's out of direct sunlight.

Otherwise stop watering it. It sounds to me like it's been overwatered. You'll know when it needs water when its leaves wilt.

Take care and I hope it helps.

I dont think its a root rot, but a winter dose of mancozeb never goes astray.

Maybe make a couple of cuttings just to be sure you won't have to get a new one.

Edited by N1no

As a matter of fact yes the climate is very similar / exactly that of Melbourne!

Ok perhaps a better place could be found for the plant, i don't think it'll be liking those cold walls, especially overnight..

Is watering everyday too much? I heard to keep the soil quite moist, the plant is prone to root rot but they suggest a well drained pot should be enough to avoid it.. what do you think?

I like the suggestion of removing aged leaves would that be encouraging new growth? Any other suggestions like this to get the plant healthier or is it simply a matter of giving it the right conditions then waiting and hoping all goes well?

Thanks very much people

Is watering everyday too much? I heard to keep the soil quite moist, the plant is prone to root rot but they suggest a well drained pot should be enough to avoid it.. what do you think?

Don't water it every day! Only once a weak or so. My plants like that... I got about 100 plants after only 8 months (started with 2 small plants form azarius). Small plants but ok...

To water the plant just place the pot in a bucket with water for an hour, do this once a week.

This is the way to succes (I guess).

Edited by N1no

Do you mean submerge the whole pot, so the top soil is covered also, in water? Wouldn't that absolutely soak all the soil is that too much?

Nah, if the water reaches halfway the pot that is good enough but the effect will be the same. :)

I'm telling you this works fine with my plants. Don't know how it will work on yours.

Hi All

Swim recently acquired this Salvia Divinorum (a week ago) and it came in a pretty unhealthy looking state. Leaves more yellow than green, curling, lots of holes, and many with crusty brown edges. The stem looks quite alright no abnormalities that he can see.

Swim knows nothing about looking after plants, but would really like to keep this one going and bring it back to a healthy stage, so he's after your advice! Fertilizers, potting mix etc.. etc..

Has this plant survived and what did swiy do to save it?

Just wondering so that we can know how it all went.

A FOAF just got one of these in fairly ordinary condition also and she's promised to send me photos of it soon. She's hoping it will pick up with some love and care.

But please let us know how that one went if you find out from your friend.

try some half strength 'miracle grow' in a spray bottle. mist the leaves every 3 or so days.

At fortnightly intervals give the pot a saturation with the solution. My plants used to respond well to that application.

FOAF gaveup trying to grow Sally. Not only does she attract nearly every bug in the state which devours her leaves, but there's always some problem with saggy leaves. Underwatering, overwatering, over fertilized, underfertilized, too cold, too hot, not humid enough, too humid, too much wind!!! FOAF says it's the one plant he's leaving to the experts to grow now (along with Kava [shitty weather to grow it here]) lol.