The Corroboree

That post about TBM's has raised a question, all TBM's i have here have enlarged bases on their spines like my kk242/cuscoensis. I dont have and normal bridgesii on me so i cant look at them. Is it possible that it is in fact a peruvianoid monstrose? it has spikes like that. How can one be sure without it reverting back to its original condition?

I have never been sure TMB clone B, the clumper, is a bridgesii. It has a lot in common with bridgesii, but the spines remind me of peruvianoids.

Yeah i completely agree, ive never questioned it but not i am.

The spined clumping form is considered a bridgesii in Bolivia and is used by Shaman there. It is also VERY strong. 1 large tblspn of powdered inner flesh is a strong dose :o

WR

Foaf gave a friend a 160g pup fresh but no effects were noted, none at all. That equates to a 16g dried dose.

Foaf gave a friend a 160g pup fresh but no effects were noted, none at all. That equates to a 16g dried dose.

I never would have thought there would be such variation. :o Arnt all those short clumping TBMs clones of the one plant?

supposedly clones of one plant, could jsut be climatic variation. The plants were bitter and somuch so that the mouth was left numb, could taste mescaline also but the amount must have been low. Foaf has a pile to test asap.

The spined clumping form is considered a bridgesii in Bolivia and is used by Shaman there. It is also VERY strong. 1 large tblspn of powdered inner flesh is a strong dose :o

WR

Just a sec. Isn't the inner flesh less active than the green flesh closer to the skin?

Just a sec. Isn't the inner flesh less active than the green flesh closer to the skin?

Who knows with mostrose variations. Inner flesh is reported to be effective in many cacti. Variation seems to be the name of the game.

Shamans are known to use plants that aren't very potent too, they just use more of them.

The thing that sets the TBM apart from peruv/cuzcoensis that I've seen is the presence of those little "pre-leaf" thingies below the aereole. I've never seen them on the cuzcoensis looking plants, but then again I've not seen a ton of the cuzcoensis plants. I was fortunate enough to get into growing these cacti after reading cautionary tales about Knize. B)

That said, I wonder which TBM Whiterasta is talking about? I have an Australian TBM short form from SAB that does not show those pre-leaf thingies, and a Sacred Succulents TBM short form that does have them. I really don't think they are the same clone, maybe I'm wrong...

I have lots of Bridgesii growing from seed right now. Some have humps at the aereoles, some are less pronounced. Some have horn-like central spines, some do not. There is so much variation among bridgesii seedlings that it is not preposterous to think there are multiple TBM forms with traits that could be mistaken for cuzcoensis morphologies. Am I wrong?

:scratchhead:

I dunno, I reckon its bridgesii...

My "Super Bridgesii" clone has very red spines right now, and those little pre leaflet thingies (I thought they were rootlets?) at the base of areoles where the tip recently went "monstrosey"...looks pretty much exactly like a young monstrose tip with only four ribs...

I recall Keeper saying they were leaves back when he was posting.

You're probably right Archaea, what I think often isn't correct :P

Who is Keeper? Forgive my ignorance :)

The K in K Trout stands for Keeper. He goes by the pen name of the Keeper of the Trout or Keeper Trout.

For illustration, shot two close-ups of the 'pre leaflet thingies' on my TBM.

But not every aerole is showing them.

post-1495-1156360630_thumb.jpgpost-1495-1156360649_thumb.jpg

post-1495-1156360630_thumb.jpg

post-1495-1156360649_thumb.jpg

post-1495-1156360630_thumb.jpg

post-1495-1156360649_thumb.jpg

Check this, I think one of my tbms is reverting, usually they only put out two 'sets' of the skinny spines but this pup has already put out four and they are noticably thicker with more colour.

post-930-1156430822_thumb.jpg

see i reckon that looks peruvaniod, though it does look a little bridgesiod alsp

i reck shes true blue bridgesii

skin texture, spines, bloom, susceptibility to rot !

i havent seen anything that would make me question the origin i heard of which is that it came from a very large batch of seedlings a long time ago

its true the spine #'s are varable but in my bridge seedling batches there is a larg amount of spine variation , and morphing too, showing how subtle the gene regulation must be and variable at diff stages of growth

as a clonally mass propagated plant its bound to mutate as well - bud sports n all that

Edited by Rev

My TBM's are putting out the same pups with heaps of spines and really fat and healthy....heaps of spines (and long) per ariole. Did the same thing last winter too! Many smaller pups in the growth period and one beauty in the colder months.

susceptibility to rot !

i havent seen anything that would make me question the origin i heard of which is that it came from a very large batch of seedlings a long time ago

No doubt. The one I have from Australia is quite prone to rot.

post-873-1156651435_thumb.jpg

While the one from SS is less prone.

I have two specimens, side by side in identical conditions, bought at the same time/place and roughly same size...

One is much more susceptible to prone than the other.

Hehe just to give some preliminary alkaloid results of TBM a friend tells me its approaching 1%. He said his first observation of there not being much was wrong as it was very fine particles.