The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
occidentalis

Caffeine use

Caffeine use  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've tried to make this as clear as possible, but there is some subjectivity in some of the questions.

I'll leave it up to you to decide what's a 'significant dose' - I would say a cup of coffee or strong tea or equivalent.

Interested to know what people's 'others' are in the first question.

Coke, Pepsi, Red Bull, Nodoze

Interested to know what people's 'others' are in the first question.

Have noticed caffeine being used in skin moisturising products. :)

My "other" is obscene amounts of Coke

I own a soda stream machine, my other is the soda strean flavour X-stream, on par with red bull and such, I'd go a couple of litres a day sometimes plus a coffee or tea for breakfast

...on par with red bull... I'd go a couple of litres a day sometimes plus a coffee or tea for breakfast

far out! ur one of th most laid bac cool cats ive met. how laid bac would u be without caffeine???

:P

Edited by Bacchant

I'd go a couple of litres a day sometimes plus a coffee or tea for breakfast

Lol, now we now your dirty little habit! :bootyshake:

One of the biggest drawbacks for me is that if I don't have caffeine by lunchtime then I will start getting a headache.

Flavour is important for me. I used to drink tea black with no sugar, but nowadays have it with just milk and again no sugar. Milk binds the tannins and makes it stain teeth less.

I haven't been a big coffee drinker but only lately have I gotten into some of the newer products. I like the French made "Noir" and "Cap Columbie" flavours made by Nestle for what its worth.

Used to have a tea or two every day, and strong lattes on the weekends and one on Thursday afternoons.

Gave up at the start of the year, though. The withdrawel was too much, no caffiene for a day and I'd get lethargic, depressed, no motivation.

Much preferring life without it now.

I voted 'other', as I'll consume 3-400mg of caffiene (NoDoz) at a time when doofing rather than amphetamines. I only make it to a doof probably once every two months now, so the caffiene is not an issue.

I was of the understanding that the level of caffeine in coke was quite low and most of the effect gained is the 10% ish of sugar that you consume. Can anyone verify this?

Also i have been paying attention to the different levels of caffeine in red bull V etc. and noticed that they offset the amount of caffeine with taurine. MM taurine interesting little chemical, does anyone know if they use the natural form or wether they syntesize it. It just doesnt seem that tempting to consume ox bile.

All that aside nothing beats a nice coffe (usually with some nicotine) to stimulate my brain early in the day however i need to have periods of abstinence as often i forget about the withdrawl effects (headaches etc).

I've tried to make this as clear as possible, but there is some subjectivity in some of the questions.

Would have liked to see a question asking about frequency of experiencing negative side effects, but I think that's just a personal issue :blink:

Personally caffeine used not to be a big deal for me, I could drink 8+ cups a day and still sleep an hour or two later. Not sure if I got healthier, or there was some other cause- these days I'm a flower. Two cups a day is a strict limit and both before lunch or sleep completely evades me. And negative side effects- probably adrenal related- are common enough for me to see a clear cause, but unpredictable as to their arrival.

Still, it won't make me give up- when it works, which it usually does- it gets me through my day smarter and more focussed and I get more done. The wonder drug of the 20th century, its democratisation has made addicts out of a sizeable proportion of the population. Can you imagine what would happen to the world financial markets if it became illegal?

I was of the understanding that the level of caffeine in coke was quite low and most of the effect gained is the 10% ish of sugar that you consume. Can anyone verify this?

Also i have been paying attention to the different levels of caffeine in red bull V etc. and noticed that they offset the amount of caffeine with taurine. MM taurine interesting little chemical, does anyone know if they use the natural form or wether they syntesize it. It just doesnt seem that tempting to consume ox bile.

All that aside nothing beats a nice coffe (usually with some nicotine) to stimulate my brain early in the day however i need to have periods of abstinence as often i forget about the withdrawl effects (headaches etc).

Hi elzar. Several things about 'Coke' that give it stimulating properties apart from the caffeine.

1. Like you say the sugar can give a short term quick burst of energy.

2. The 'flavour' ingredients of 'Coke' come from decocainised leaves of coca and other tropanols as well as ecgonine which is mildly stimulating are part of the drink.

3. In 'diet' versions there is phenylalanine from the aspartame. The phenylalanine is a potential precursor to other endogenous phenylethylamines which are stimulating, as well as having a stimulating effect of its own I believe.

Personally I find the 'diet' versions to give me severe headspins and unusual disorienting feelings if I have them on an empty stomach. I avoid them nowadays together with most other soft drinks.

Cheers.

Edited by eNo

2. The 'flavour' ingredients of 'Coke' come from decocainised leaves of coca and other tropanols as well as ecgonine which is mildly stimulating are part of the drink.

Coca cola is still disputing that is uses any coca produc at all. However, that denial is weak because it actually payd for coca cultivation and why would it do that if it didn't need coca leaf?!?

So yeah, let's assume there is coca in coca cola.

The flavour comes from many sources. Most of it is caramel. There is also a bit of myristicin (nutmeg) in there. As for the rest I have no idea, but I am pretty sure egconine isn't one of them as that is a controlled precursor substance in many countries (in australia).

Coca cola is still disputing that is uses any coca produc at all. However, that denial is weak because it actually payd for coca cultivation and why would it do that if it didn't need coca leaf?!?

The flavour comes from many sources. Most of it is caramel. There is also a bit of myristicin (nutmeg) in there. As for the rest I have no idea, but I am pretty sure egconine isn't one of them as that is a controlled precursor substance in many countries (in australia).

I have to agree that it's all a little in the realm of urban legends/myths and there's alot of misinformation out there. I just remembered that information from a university class many years ago.

Interesting about the addition of nutmeg though.

Nice info on wikipedia and here: http://www.digitaldeliftp.com/LookAround/a...t_cocacola2.htm

I'm personally constantly amused by spin-off products made by competitors. The most bizarre has to be:

MeccaColaLogo.jpg

:huh:

Are you talking about modern coca cola?

I wasn't aware they still used any coca products.

Wouldn't this be encouraging coca markets and therefore strongly conflicting with US govt policy?

I own a soda stream machine,

ive wondered since late primary school when i learnt its teh bubbles in champagne that give it its kick

can hard spirits be soda streamed?

experimnets with tequila rapido says the effects could be profound, but even that is dilute .

unfortunatelu ive never been in a locked padded room with both in unison to test this

Nice thought there Rev. I recall hearing of how carbonated alcoholic beverages have more kick so to speak. This also applies to UDL's and the other popular drinks. if i ever come across a soda stream i think it would be worth a try with a stronger drink.

Also the composition of Coca Cola changes from country to country from what i have been led to believe.

A lot of those energy drinks have another interesting ingredient, Inositol...

A paper claimed that it has been noted to be just as effective as SSRIs treating depression...

Daily dosing on red bull, creates a dopamine reward from the stimulation of the caffeine + the effects of an antidepressant like B vitamin...maybe? lol.

I would have to agree with that, The effect from the x stream is much less jittery than that of an espresso coffee, and more euphoric and I feel wonderful!, non after say 2 in the afternoon otherwise sleeping is tough! :)

can hard spirits be soda streamed?

hmm, interesting question.

CO2 is definately soluble in ethanol, but exactly how soluble - not sure.

my guess would be that a greater alcohol content would allow more carbonation, since CO2 is non-polar and should in theory have greater solubility in ethanol than water, coz ethanol is less polar than water. like dissolves like etc.

so yeah, i reckon you could charge spirits.

I drink my green tea almost every morning after brekky, no sugar, no milk and sometimes before a workout at the gym or touch footy. I will maybe once or twice a week have a turkish coffee, which let me tell you is F&@KING strong when made right but its something traditional from where I'm from, as a tool of communication when visitors come over, helps with talking, I suspect almost everybody does this for the same reason. As far as missing my dose goes I can honestly say I've never suffered from headaches or bad moods, seems I just don't jones for the stuff, go figure?

I've also read on many occasions that when drugs are consumed with or as carbonated drinks they are absorbed more effectively and quickly. I'd be lying if I said I remember where I read this but there it is anyway.

Honestly 200mg of caffeine does next to jack shit for me. I HAVE used it a couple times in the 500-600mg range to accomplish work but I think it's a dirty stimulant.

I used to drink a lot of coffee. I have quit and gone through withdrawals a few times and now I get headaches from even low doses of caffeine. Physical addiction is one of the reasons caffeine is a crappy drug.