The Corroboree
sunny

Fungimentary: The Magic Mushrooms of Balingup

Has anyone got a copy of this docco that they wanna copy for me??? Or know of where they sell it in WA?

Edited by sunny

Has anyone got a copy of this docco that they wanna copy for me??? Or know of where they sell it in WA?

I have a copy in my hot little hands right now.

You can rent it from Mt Lawley Planet Video for $4 a week.

PLANET VIDEO

646 BEAUFORT STREET

W.A., 6050

(08) 9328-7464

I just realised that you will have to wait until tomorrow, as I need to return it tonight - If I remember. I think they have two copies in store anyway, so call them to check.

man this doco was what got me into mushrooms i love it , i have a connection with this even though i have never been to western australia, i think we need a knew doco that can update the issues we face today with the awareness that many people now have

i think we need a knew doco that can update the issues we face today with the awareness that many people now have

bury my head and run for the hills :BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2:

Edited by RonnySimulacrum

berry my head and run for the hills :BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2:

:wacko:

Not sure I understand that...?

Ronny has been promising us such a doco for quite a while now and we have been growing increasingly impatient :P

Well the project (forbidden Fruit) has been on hold for over a year now, and unfortunately, I can’t see it coming to the light of day any time soon. CS has some interest in helping me, which is great, as he is a master of film, though like all masters’ he is a busy man. The main problem is editing, I’m shit at it,

Nothing ever works out right. So much so, that I was happy EGA didn’t burn at the stake when I touched it.

As far as the mushroom doco goes, I would still love to get it done, but life has this habit of catching up with you, and sometimes you just have to let things go and hope to come back for them when you can.

I feel very bad about the hole thing, so much so I kind of feel like a big failure when I think of the project. Not only for me but for all the people that dedicated there time to help when I was often ignorant or still researching, and also how people were hoping something good would come out of it. As I am sure most of you are aware, designing a drug documentary to enlighten the mainstream is a lot of work, if it is even possible when it is left to one person to try finish.

The up shot of the whole project was that I had the opportunity to meet and talk with so many good people all over oz. The Plant scene is full of the nicest freaks the world has to offer, and as a result, I have made many lasting friendships and been taught so much by my pears and the plants. The Energy expended on the project eventually blossomed in Triptamind and EGA www.entheo.net , so all was not lost.

:)

Edited by RonnySimulacrum

Well the project (forbidden Fruit) has been on hold for over a year now, and unfortunately, I can’t see it coming to the light of day any time soon. CS has some interest in helping me, which is great, as he is a master of film, though like all masters’ he is a busy man. The main problem is editing. I’m shit at it. Nothing ever works. So much so, that I was happy EGA didn’t burn at the stake when I touched it.

As far as the mushroom doco goes, I would still love to get it done, but life has this habit of catching up with you, and sometimes you just have to let things go and hope to come back for them when you can.

I feel very bad about it, so I kind of feel like a failure when I think of the project. Not only for me but for all the people that dedicated there time to help when I was often ignorant or still researching, and how people were hoping something good would come out of it.

As I am sure most of you are aware, designing a drug documentary to enlighten the mainstream is a lot of work, if it is even possible when it is left to one person to try and do.

The up shot of the whole project was that I had the opportunity to meet and talk with so many good people. The Plant scene is full of the nicest freaks the world has to offer, and as a result, I have made many lasting friendships and been taught so much by my pears and the plants. The Energy expended on the project eventually blossomed in Triptamind and EGA www.entheo.net , so all was not lost.

:)

So are you the director of the original doco then Ronny?

not of the Fungimentary no, i was working on a Melbourne film :(

So are you the director of the original doco then Ronny?

The Fungimentary doco didn't really have a director - it was made by a couple of shroomers who didn't really know what they were doing. They took it to a producer who cleaned it up and put it together for them. I know this because I am friends with the producer's daughter.

The Fungimentary doco didn't really have a director - it was made by a couple of shroomers who didn't really know what they were doing. They took it to a producer who cleaned it up and put it together for them. I know this because I am friends with the producer's daughter.

Years and years back, I was interested in this doco and wanted to get hold of a copy of it - this was probably back around '99, I called SBS and asked them the best way to get hold of a copy. They gave me the direcors/producers (or whatever you want to call him) number and I managed to contact him direct and have a long chat to him about the film. He said it was a miracle that I got hold of him, as the number I rang was actually his mum's and he was only making a fleeting visit for an hour, and it was a miracle I got hold of him.

Can't remember his name now though...

Anyway, he said I could purchase a copy driectly from him or rent the movie from Planet Video.

Not sure what my point is, just thought it was cool to get in contact and probably fate that I caught him there at the time, and they way SBS was actually able to even pass on his details in the first place.

Has he made any other docos that are not necessarily fungal related that could be of interest?

I love "Cane Toads: An Unnatural History" (1999)

that doco is gold :)

They gave me the direcors/producers (or whatever you want to call him) number and I managed to contact him direct and have a long chat to him about the film. He said it was a miracle that I got hold of him, as the number I rang was actually his mum's and he was only making a fleeting visit for an hour, and it was a miracle I got hold of him.

Can't remember his name now though...

Hmm, the producer I am talking about is my friends mum, obviously there is more than one producer ;).

I love "Cane Toads: An Unnatural History" (1999)

that doco is gold :)

Im not sure if thats the one but in high school they showed us a doco of that nature. It had a very colourful character talking about how he eats toads for their psychoactive effects. Of course the moral of the story was that we should not actually do it but that very weekend we were doing it :wacko:

Good thing we didnt get very sick! :blush:

yeah the cane toad doco is great stuff

has my mate flats in it on the esplanade in cairns

they were a notorious block of flats with lots of decadence and drug abuse LOL

however they are long gone now, victims of the bulldozer, jsut like the cane toads who become victim to the combi in the doco :)

yep that is the same Doco Alice Dee :)

fucking pisser that one, the same guy also made one about chicken in the US

So my memory was right then... it has been uploaded to YouTube. Sweet. Now I can finally watch it.

Here's the other one (which I'm gonna have to watch soon as well):

Edited by synchromesh

hahaha awesome awesome doco... pity about the subtitles that got in the way a fair bit of the time but still an awesome watch... very accurate info too the only thing that jumped out at me was when Mr Roger Norman Hilton - the mycologist [who reminds me of David Attenborough] was discussing how they were beleived to have started growing in balingup and then referred to a mushroom growing under cow dung [cubensis???] when infact subaeringinosa are a wood/grass loving species but it was great to hear the way he pronounced subaeringinosa... it's how i've always said it so makes me feel better that I got it right!

but once again; there is always a confusion of gold tops and blue meanies? personally... gold tops to me have always been subs and blue meanies cubes but im sure other people will dispute this...

it'd be interesting to hear people's thoughts!

anyone who has not seen this doco before though!!! WATCH IT!

Brilliant... made back in 1995

I was a bit disappointed that upload didn't include the theme song though as I was just speaking to a mate who use to play in the band who did it... ' the freedom police '

I'm gonna get a copy of it soon I hope when I get a chance to go visit him but until then has anyone else heard this track and do you have a copy ?

and i've also got that cane toad doco... I laughed my arse off through most of it... great doco for sure! some of those people sure love their cane toads!

Edited by herbal_hindsight

Original post moved to:

Magic Mushroom Strains and Species - Youtube Video

Edited by herbal_hindsight

Awesome seeing that film again, the fungimentary, that is.

the cane toads one is great too. love the combi swerving down the higway running them over. lol

but the fungimentary one is great. strange though i dont remember balingup being in WA. I remembered it being in Vic or NSW for some reason.

so thanks for bumping this thread. Pity the other documentary never saw the light of day.

but once again; there is always a confusion of gold tops and blue meanies? personally... gold tops to me have always been subs and blue meanies cubes but im sure other people will dispute this...

it'd be interesting to hear people's thoughts!

I've always taken both of terms to mean Psilocybe mushrooms. be it Subs or Cubensis. but here in Tas we only have the one common type so people always know what is being talked about regardless. gold tops because of that golden gleam they have when their fresh, and blue meanies, because they stain that georgeous dark blue. I find it more interesting that there is a differentiation.

Cheers, Obtuse.

The funny thing is, everyone calls their local Psilocybes, whether subs or cubes, gold tops. Considering there are more people in the world with cubes as their local species, and they definitely have a more golden top, I think that they should really get precedence for that name. Copper tops - or just subs - are much better names for subs.

As for blue meanies, there is really no argument. That name should always refer to Panaeolus cyanescens - they are much bluer, and much meaner than either subs or cubes :).