The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alice

Guarana powder

how do you consume guarana powder?

got some recently and not too sure how to use it...

could always cap it i spose, but that takes away from the natural beverage idea and turns it more into a medical procedure to administer caffeine... not really what im after.

anyone got a guarana drink recipe they'd like to share? maybe some other herbs that mix well as a tea?

how was it traditionally used?

not too sure on the traditional method but guessing from the taste of it :puke: I would suggest that it would be good to use it the same way u would nutmeg in a milk drink. I normally cap it :wink:

lol yeah I aint found a way to make it taste ok, but if u want a rush without needing decent taste mixing it in hot water is ok. Having it with some Kola Nut feels like a good combo to me.

yeah, its not a particularly nice tasting tea....

might try blending it with some cocoa powder and milk with a little sugar. brb.

1 teaspoon guarana powder, 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, 1.5 teaspoons sugar, hotwater and milk.

hmm, the beverage doesn't taste too bad, the sugar and chocolate mask the taste well.

but the aftertaste is still :puke:

how does g powder compare with say instant coffee (in terms of caffeine)?

1 teaspoon coffee = ? teaspoon g powder?

Just got some Guarana powder and am wondering what dosage is as per the last dose? Is it similar to 1 teaspoon guarana = 1 cup of coffee?

I enjoy Gaurana powder far more than coffee because its slower release, but due to the extra caffiene it seems to act as a coffee that last a good 6 hours.

Hmm, I tried this recently (one level teaspoon in a cup of milo - excellent at disguising the taste) and found it very 'rushy'. It seemed to kick in fast and gave me waves of buzzy feelings which were not entirely pleasant. I actually felt faint (hypotensive) and had to sit down for a few minutes after the first wave. Even though I did feel alert, I did not feel 'clear' as my thoughts were very speedy and disorganised. Furthermore, it seemed to only last for about 1-2hrs max - Thank god!

Admittedly it was not as 'agitating' as caffiene though the 'dizzy' waves were a bit disconcerting.

This is my experience and I'm sure there are many variables to consider.

My favorite stimulate,

Longer lasting effect than coffee and has the tea type [theophlline]way of no side effects.

We used to have it with coffee also, an equal sized spoonful to the coffee and a bit more sugar for taste.

Then again we also had access to pure Theophilline, Theobromine and Caffeine as well...our a.m. heart-starter

My daughter's father sent her a series of Brasilian folk tales, including one about the origin of Guarana. Here it is :)

The legend of Guarana.

An indian couple, belonging to the Maués tribe, lived together for many years, always wishing that they could have a child. One day they asked the god Tupã to give them a child as a present to complete their happiness. Tupã, the king of the gods, knowing that the couple had good hearts, fulfilled their wish, bringing to them a beautiful boy.

Time passed by quickly and the boy grew up handsome, generous and kind. However, Juruparí, the god of the darkness, felt an extreme envy for the boy and the peace and happiness that he transmitted, and decided to end that blooming life.

One day the boy went to gather fruits in the forest and Juruparí decided that his vengeance time had arrived. He transformed himself into a serpent and bit the boy, killing him instantly.

The sad news spread quickly. At this moment, thunder echoed and a lightening bolt fell near the indian longhouse. The mother, who was crying in despair, understood that the thunder was a message from Tupã, explaining that she should plant the child's eyes and that from them a new plant would grow, yielding tasty fruits.

The indians obeyed the mother's voice and planted the boy's eyes. There grew the guaraná, whose seeds are black, each with a white aril around it, that reminds one of a human eye.

Guara = human being na = similar, alike

Edited by wandjina

cool story!

Guara = human being na = similar, alike

so, guarana = humanoid :lol:

The pronunciation is also interesting. Most folks call it guarana, but Ott pronounces it gurana and I presume he is right.