The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
reshroomED

Lactarius deliciosus

Anyone in Western Vic might find the Otways worth a drive at the moment.

Went out for a drive and found literally hundreds of milk-caps just looking out the window. Stopped and grabbed a few coles-bags full, and just kept seeing more and more as I drove along.

Anywhere in the pines should see you right, but feel free to pm me for more specific directions if you're planning a trip. Easy 2wd tracks.

Tons of amanitas too, but didn't see a sub (the trip was aimed at getting some amanita prints, so wasn't really looking for subs). And the subs usually start after the milk-caps anyway.

Ed

interesting - sounds tasty. Ive never eatne them but they do look tasty to me.

Anyway - do you think you can have a look around the beech forest area and see if you can find anyt interesting Psilocybes growing on that wood?

if you lived closer id recommend you pick with a careful eye and sell to restaurants or the markets

Natures greatest bounty is reserved for those who know her - and all that

if you lived closer id recommend you pick with a careful eye and sell to restaurants or the markets

Natures greatest bounty is reserved for those who know her - and all that

Closer to ???

The thought did cross my mind.

Don't know how well these would sell though. Been wet here lately, so cutting/packing/transport without bruising would be hard.

They're not that rare here but I've never seen anywhere near so many. Drove through/past over a dozen pine plantations, and they were everywhere. Could easily have filled a 6' x 4' trailer in a couple of hours.

ps - haven't forgotten about those seeds, just been side-tracked.

bm - 2b and I found several last year growing directly off fallen myrtle beech branches. Never really taken much notice what specific debri they grew on until you expressed interest in psilocybes on beech. Just a matter of hunting where beech are predominant I'd say. From memory a few of the tourist spots even fall into this category. The trees are easy enough to identify and not hard to find if you drive through the forests Sth to SthWest of Beech Forrest.

I'll be heading out for a look at least weekly from now on, so I'll take a camera and try to get some pics.

You gonna pull your finger out this year and come down for a look?

ed

Yeah i do plan on doing that. Im going upinto the mountains in a week or so to have a sniff around there before the snow arrives, but Im keen to have a look around your neck of the woods as well. ust wish I had less work and more time! ;)

have you got any photos? When it comes to edibles other than your super market varietys I have no idea, so I'd love to see some photos of edibles to look out for.

Here ya go Prier.

Lactarius Deliciosus.

post-1464-1147742065_thumb.jpg

Look for the green staining, hollow stem and the orange "blood" when you cut them.

Lactarius_deliciosusGR.jpg

Lactarius_deliciosusGR.jpg

I've seen those around a bit, is there any trick to IDing them?

Only the things i mentioned in my post above.

When i first started to go out looking for mushies i thought that these were poisonous. That was until i decided to find out what they were. Now they would have to be my favorite edible.

Good for breakfast lunch and dinner, they can be cooked almost any way you desire although i prefer them in pasta or noodle dishes.

Found a few just emerging today, so if you're in the area and like milk-caps I'd recommend hitting the pines in the next week or so.

ed

there is other milk caps, that are not edible... not sure if they grow in aus.. but I think i once saw one... I dont mind these mushies... but I have never seen them growing in southern tas.. anyone know if they do? In regards to selling, I remember reading in the newspaper that they fetched up to $5 a cap at markets in melbourne... may be worth selling there. although $5 a cap seems a bit much... just a hint for those collecting... small caps are much better than large, in regards to flavour.

I've seen them at Paddy's markets in Sydney for $7-8/kg, but it's rare. How well do they keep?

"How well do they keep?"

Really well, they're a solid mushroom and tasty too.

hey, I should point out for those not familiar with this mushie, that they bruise green... just thought it may be of some interest, as another much love relative bruises blue.