The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Pans in broome?

I don't know if I'm reading this right, but it looks like it says u get Panaeolus subbalteatus in Broome. The page is still under construction, so i dunno, just thought it may interest sum.

:ph34r:

http://www.entheology.org/edoto/anmviewer.asp?a=69&z=5

Edited by naja naja

69-panaeolus_subbalteatus.jpg

^cool photo

I wouldnt be surprised if there are subbalts in WA, another site reported fimicola which is a very similair mushroom in appeareance to subbalts, but I think they are lower in potency.

id almost think you get other species of pans up there as well. Pan Subb. has a large history in european pagan rites

id almost think you get other species of pans up there as well. Pan Subb. has a large history in european pagan rites

I am in Broome currently, and have heard a whisper or two about picking mushies (cubs or pans?) since the rain has

come in. I was at a croc park the other day and there was 6 or 7 different species of fungi all over the place, but

nothing active that I could spot.

Can anyone give me any more solid info on whether this is true/likely?

I also was told this ages ago by a workmate in his 40s who used to work here in the 80s, he said

there were some fields that were covered in cubensis... I never really took him that

seriously...

Would Thai and other south east-asian species do well here during the wet season also?

Edited by focus

I am in Broome currently, and have heard a whisper or two about picking mushies (cubs or pans?) since the rain has

come in.

I have heard rumours about shrooms in Broome from several people, but nothing confirmed.

It would be great if you could have a hunt and report back to us with your findings - it would not be surprising to find cubes or pan cyans there.

Cow poo, willies creek. 14km's out of town. Thats where I'd be looking. Beware of crocs

Cow poo, willies creek. 14km's out of town. Thats where I'd be looking. Beware of crocs

I will check it out, haven't been to Willie Creek yet so it's a good idea all round...

Have found a friend who knows someone who went out last weekend after some big rains

so I'll see if he had any luck too.

I'll keep you posted... Would love to find something other than subs for a change....

I'm almost 100% certain I found Pan subbs in the Southwest of WA, in a vege garden.

I reckon there's a bloody good chance of finding actives in Broome also, would be awesome to get some prints and pics if you do have any luck. :)

Not sure if I'm prepared to wrestle any crocs for some, but I will be sure to let you know how I get on....

While Pan subbalteatus with its cosmopolitan distribution may occur in most if not all Australian states, the reference to Broome likely refers to the authors in the naming of the species.

Thanks for that Naja.

I went for a drive to Willie Creek, which is 35km from Broome, but due to heavy rains the tracks that start a couple of kms back from WC were closed.

About halfway to Willie Creek (closer to 14km) there was some farmland of sorts with no current stock, in fact the stock gates thingy was under water..

Anyway, we drove in and followed some tracks for a while and found a few piles of poo, I think more likely to be horse poo than cow. There was fungi

growing out of both piles, but not active. I can't remeber the name but have seen it many times in the flesh and in books/internet.

The fungi had thin long white stems much like the goods, dark brown gills the same as edible mushrooms, but a more conical head shape. They were all

white.

Looks promising, but maybe a bit of a needle in a haystack situation unless I get some more targeted local info...

Poo is'nt the only place u should be looking, I've found a few subs this year & only one has been found on shit, lawns have been the real hotspot for me.

Longer lawns (u aint gonna find nothing if they just mowed), healthy looking lawns (fertilized), under trees & shady spots, close to creeks have been the best spots.

Good luck

Poo is'nt the only place u should be looking, I've found a few subs this year & only one has been found on shit, lawns have been the real hotspot for me.

Longer lawns (u aint gonna find nothing if they just mowed), healthy looking lawns (fertilized), under trees & shady spots, close to creeks have been the best spots.

Good luck

Cheers. I am looking for P. Cubensis or maybe some other sub-troipical strain, rather than subs. I have seen them on golf courses and some types of grass

before, but as far as I know poo is the most likely source.

I think the monsoonal rain would soak the ground so much that they would go rotten pretty quickly if not in poo, but I would be interested in different opinions.

Edited by focus

"Cheers. I am looking for P. Cubensis or maybe some other sub-troipical strain, rather than subs. I have seen them on golf courses and some types of grass

before, but as far as I know poo is the most likely source.

I think the monsoonal rain would soak the ground so much that they would go rotten pretty quickly if not in poo, but I would be interested in different opinions."

Yeah mate i was talking bout Pan subbs specificaly, for cubes u def want cow paddocks & piles of shit are the best but well manured pasture will also bear fruit IME especialy after heavy rain.

I'd assume (and thats just an assumption) that the right combination of buffalo shit and monsoonal action would yield a decent collection of whatever is found is south east asia in similar conditions... remember we have asian buffalo not european bison, imported directly from cambodia i believe, originally, and in terms of proximity to "native" habitat, broome is about as close as you can get to se asia without getting wet feet right? I'd be on the lookout (when muggy enough) for Copes and the like, in addition to the subs.

Subs do like some horsepaddocks, but as shru mentioned somewhere its not so much the shit... i think it has more to do with many ppl keeping horses in low, swampier ground with decent grass length and tenderness, prone to the odd flood full of rich silt and moisture... the horses seem to move em around but don't seem entirely critical to the fruiting.. I've found many subs in lawn situations (especially due-for-a-mow buffalo and other broad grasses), popping up around guinea pig shit, growing straight out of lucerne thats been rained on a bit.. it seems they just like a decent source of fertility and reliable humidity.

Those mushies u describe sound like panaolus ovata or semiglobata... not a bad indicator of things to come sometimes, and i think they get the odd positive for trypto etc but they dont seem too useful overall. Pretty though.

VM

(Sorry Shruman, I thought you were referring to copper tops :) )

I still think Cubensis is the most likely active for me to find. I have found many references to Pan Subs attributed to "Berkely & Broome", and I think this has confused people as they are both names and places. Also, the whispers I have heard about mushies in Broome have always been from people who know very little about mushrooms, so I'm not sure they would have been able to ID anything easier than a Cub. This is pure conjecture mind you.

The "soil" up here is red mud, and lately it has been up to two inches underwater for up top 12 hours at a time, so I'm not sure if that is going to help Pan Subs or not?

The hardest thing so far is finding paddocks of any nature that are accessible, I will keep going and let you know how I go.

i ben searching then net to find an old image i saw of cyans thick blankets of them in kimberly region on cow dung ill keep searching!

i ben searching then net to find an old image i saw of cyans thick blankets of them in kimberly region on cow dung ill keep searching!

Right you are... I finally met a guy here who researched and spent 6 wet seasons fiding Copelandia Cyanescens. I have seen photos that he has taken ,

and he has told me exactly where to find them. It is on private property and apparently it is still a mission to find them, although he has found 100+ at

a time.

I have seen some preserved in honey, but am wanting to be very sure to id for scientific purposes. B) I will post some photos he took as he picked them,

he is 100% sure they stain blue.

What are the relevant poisonous lookalikes of C. Cyanescens if any?

If this is true I will be very impressed, I have looked for years for concrete evidence of actives in the North West. Kununurra is the only other place I have heard

of easily accesible actives.

This is awesome news! Take a print of anything you find up there! Coming to the end of the wet now though isn't it? Hopefully you may still have some luck.

This is awesome news! Take a print of anything you find up there! Coming to the end of the wet now though isn't it? Hopefully you may still have some luck.

It just rained last night and for the whole first half of tday so I will try and get him to take me out there. He isn't one for answering hisd phone all that much.

I'm sure plenty reading this are the same....

I will try and produce as much evidence as possible and share it here.

I have seen the preserved in honey, but I am not experienced with cyans, only subs and cubes. I am still keen for info about lookalikes for these, especially

posionous ones!

As long as it is growing from dung, and the spore print is purple or black, there's very little chance of you getting sick. But, before you eat them, make sure you post a pic and full description to be sure.

Too bad some better photos weren't taken, but the find has been consumed, so unless people are experiencing some

massive placebo effect, I think all is good.

Spore prints were black, but have gone missing. The habitat is monsoonal wetlands with Melaleuca trees, and cow shit.

Apparently significant rain is required for fruiting, i.e hours/days of solid rain.

I have only seen these personally, in honey. There is no blue juice in the honey, just lots of black and whitey/mild yellow coloured flesh.

They don't glisten/sparkle or go greeny/blue like Subs can in honey either...

The mushies in these pics were not picked funnily enough. He came back a day or two later and found approx 700.

post-481-1205931450_thumb.jpg

post-481-1205931474_thumb.jpg

post-481-1205931525_thumb.jpg

Edited by focus

Photos aren't great, but they look like Pans. Nice work - this may be the first confirmed sighting in WA of this species.

All credit goes to a local here, B.B.

He did lots of work to track them down, and despite the differences in type of mushroom and climate, he applied similar

criteria to picking subs in Balingup to finding cop/pan cyans up here.

I don't think there will be any more fruiting up here this year, so I will have to eat some honey, and be happy that at least now I know for sure there are some actives in Broome!

Hopefully the spores will spread around, and well monitored private property will not be the only place to find them.

Although the main aim is to prevent another Balingup type situation from occuring here, as WA is a quasi- police- state.