The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Micromegas

Greetings, any advice?

Hey, this is my first post here...so, first of all, great forum... I've been lurking for a while, thinking how awesome it is to see so many people enthusiastic about plants! It also made me very aware of my lack of knowledge about all things that grow :huh:

This would not be a huge problem, had I not just begun a mammoth gardening project (140 square metres) on the farm where I live thinking I'll learn as I go... and I probably will... but right now there are a few plants I'm having some trouble with that need some immediate attention.

About three weeks ago I purchased some lophs from Herbalistics. They arrived healthly and happy and I potted them in cactus potting soil mixed with 25% sterilised fine sand. They have had some water and moderate sun but in the last week, instead of being pert to the touch, they appear slightly flaccid... spongy, I guess you might say, with slight wrinkles in the skin. It has been slightly cool, but there is rarely any frost where I live. Is this a normal process (sponginess), or should the lophs always be pert? Any advice on what to do?

Thanks in advance...

Dont overwater lophs! Did you water her in when you repotted? If so you should wait atleast a week after repotting to water. Dont take the wrinkles as "Im thirsty" if you just waterd then thats not the problem.

How much sunlight does it recieve? Lophs dont need much sun or water..

It should be firm to touch but i have a couple that are a little wrinkely and soft..i water around every 2 weeks, but this is becomming less frequent as we're heading towards cooler weather..

if they're in the cold they need little to no water at all in winter. Also, if it's winter and its a sunny day they may need a shadecloth (filtered light) rather than direct as this can make them wrinkly aswell I believe. Also, did u say u only have 25% sand? That's kinda bad if ur watering them! The combination of poor drainage, and watering may cause cold or freezing breezes and blow the moisture through the soil into it's long tap roots and hurt the loph. Personally, I've got my lophs inside on a windowsill because under a plastic shopping bag (filtered light) in case of extra sunny days, and have a heatmat underneath just for personal reassurance cause I don't entirely trust sometimes cold windowsills.

I also have a loph that is not too happy. :huh: I hope it will feel better soon, with spring comming up.

post-1495-1145467166_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sebas

You said you used fine sand..I don't believe that's a good thing for drainage. What you want is coarse sand. Also, most store bought cacti soils are garbage in my opinion, although I believe there are some specialty places that make their own mix for sale. I'd recommend mixing your own soil and probably repotting.

Edited by Salvi

there are two reasons for a soft loph, either thiersty or root rot.

often novices (naturaly i did the same mistake when i started) water root rot suffering lophs and this will make it worse and will kill them.

i would take the loph out of the pot and carefully take the soil off, and than place the loph somewher save, airy and bright (but only little direct, morning sunlight). this will rapidly dry up the loph plus roots and as such the rooting will stopp. after a week or 10 days you repot into a small pot, and don't water for another week or so. after that just water slightly. if your place gets cold allready than maybe don't water at all, you might just mist a few times over the winter....

what could have happend is that the roots got slightly brused and damaged on transport and whilst re potting, successive watering than cause some rot because the roots wher injured.

in short keep them dry!!

Thanks everyone... I think I know what the problem is: wrong soil, wrong pots, wrong watering, wrong everything! I'll do as you suggest planthelper and take them out and dry them, then repot in smaller pots in better soil. Fortunately, they are still looking fairly good... any advice on soil?

Thanks again...

i use 1/2 quality potting mix, half coarse sharp sand, little diatomaceous earth to keep the mealy bugs at bay,

plus a little blood and bone and a little gypsum to provide nutrients. my lophs seem quite happy in that mix.

although there are lots of other mixes as good and prolly lots better, ill be stickin with this one coz it works for me!!

btw welcome to the forum micromegas!!

Edited by jono