The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
foolsbreath

Mycleium or mould

Tell me, when growing mycelium on a plate, what should it look like? I plated some spores and the resulting growth is numerous colonies white but not fluffy or matted like normal mycelium, more globular and smooth.. I believe my asceptic techniques are pretty good, but my spore syringe may have been contaminated (made by me aswell)

The white smooth colonies are the only growths present.

I used a agar designed for wild yeasts with no antibiotics present, so bacterial growth could be possible

I plan to treat with some H202 and use to innoculate a small amount of broth, which will also be treated with H202. if it is bacterial the H202 will kill it and there will be no growth. If it is fungi it will continue to live.

What do others think?

sounds to me like bacteria I'm afraid... good luck with the clean up :)

if there is some mycelium on your plate with bacteria you could re-isolate the mycelium using a loop on a fresh peroxide plate. I use potatoe dextrose agar and it works well and doesn't get contams (at least for me)

No, nothing that looks like mycelium at all only the white globular stuff strange, I wonder if it has something to do with the WLN agar I used, maybe fungi don't like it, i know it what grow S. cerevisiae, but allows stuff like brettanomyces, picia and others to grow, so maybe it is selective to the nastiesand increases their growth potential.

I'll change agar

mycelium generally looks like a white fluffy ball that sends out healthy looking rhizos - if its a quick growth or looks differnent to pictures off the internet then chances are its a contam

is it a cubie?