• Interests:Cactus!
    Grafting
    Hunting Mushrooms
    Brugmansia
    Plants in general
  • Climate or location:SA

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:40 PM

Hello,

I've had this growing in my garden since I bought the house. It's extremely vigorous and is overgrowing a number of things including one of my veggie beds. I have though a lot about ripping it all out but thought I should get an ID first and make sure I want it all gone.

I have googled a few things and think it may be passiflora caerulea, (but am absolutely unfamiliar with these plants except for eating the odd passion-fruit bought from the shops). I have only seen a small orange fruit on this plant once, last year. Lots of flowers, bugger all fruit on this plant for me.

And if it is passiflora caerulea, can anyone suggest any possible things people use this plant for other than aesthetic appeal?

Thanks!

Attached File  20141111_185001.jpg   271.58KB   2 downloads     Attached File  20141111_185011.jpg   163.02KB   1 downloads

#2 Matt1208

Matt1208

Psychonaut

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Climate or location:NSW

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

You might get more fruit if you pollinate each flower yourself, no idea on an ID though

#3 Nailthesnail

Nailthesnail

Soul Searchin

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Veganism,Mountain Biking,snowboarding,art,music(mostly hiphop but I am open minded.)The love of my life and a bunch of other things.
  • Climate or location:Oceanic Climate NZ

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:34 PM

looks like incarnarta to me?

But some of you won't survive the changes the earth makes, Swallowed by tsunamis, hurricanes and earthquakes. And that's just the first stage if you cannot reverse ways and realize that we are one regardless of our birthplace.

#4 zed240

zed240

King Bolete

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
    Grafting
    Hunting Mushrooms
    Brugmansia
    Plants in general

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:13 PM

Looks quite different to incarnata to me from pics I can see....

No other thoughts from people?

#5 Cubism

Cubism

Psychonaut

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Climate or location:USDA Zone 10

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

I'm no expert but looks like and sounds like from the orange fruit to be caerulea like you suggested zed.

Read somewhere a tea made from the flowers is good for stress/anxiety relief but not sure where I read it or the accuracy of that info so dont take my word for it :)

#6 doxneed2c-me

doxneed2c-me

Senior Psychonaut

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Climate or location:Hardiness Zone 5a

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:06 PM

Looks a lot like Passiflora caerula and yes it, like many other Passiflora, does make a sedating tea. One can however use the entire plant to make tea but the flowers are tastier and even eating 3 of them might result in something. The rinds of the fruit can also be used so no need to kill a perfectly good flower. It even adds more color to ayahuasca. I am not sure if I am permitted to explain the alkaloid content.

☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ showed me a picture so that is how I knew.

Edited by doxneed2c-me, 20 November 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#7 zed240

zed240

King Bolete

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
    Grafting
    Hunting Mushrooms
    Brugmansia
    Plants in general

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

Looks a lot like Passiflora caerula and yes it, like many other Passiflora, does make a sedating tea. One can however use the entire plant to make tea but the flowers are tastier and even eating 3 of them might result in something. The rinds of the fruit can also be used so no need to kill a perfectly good flower. It even adds more color to ayahuasca. I am not sure if I am permitted to explain the alkaloid content.

Thanks Dox, interesting stuff. I'm certainly not left wanting for flowers, this plant is pretty huge so there are plenty of flowers to chose from. I think I should try and do more research then. I may end up trying to make a tea at some stage.

#8 ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

⚕ Thunder Horse ⍾ Ninja ✰

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Location:Plankton 963125, Krill 8b92k753, Viltheed, Outer Shpongolia, Valle Pharquois Scopulicious, Werdermannianna, Taquimbo, Validacea
  • Interests:Magick💫 plants🌵 Mycology🍄 Nature🐱 Virtue🌏 Aquaria🐟 sustainable living🐸 family values💖 Quality of life🙆 Healing🎃
    Anthropology😸
  • Climate or location:zone 8 & 12+

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

its a nice smoke too ,the sort that you only really need one of... and its enough

just allow it to dry fully - aired off , - cyanogenic glycosides

its also harder than a coffin nail as far as cold is concerned

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ, 20 November 2014 - 04:30 PM.

Bliss wishes and happy growing! :wink:

Deseos bien aventurados y bendiciones las mas luminosas