The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kadakuda

Is it Anadenanthera peregrina if it's from...

Orinoco basin in Colombia?

just got some seeds from the area that are sprouting for him and seem fresh. I cant see any referrences to A. colubrina from there, is it?

don't know. have you got a pic of the seed?

ya, i am not finding any sources of colubrina in the area either. seem sonly Anadenanthera peregrina var. peregrina is in Colombia (?)

http://www.tropicos.org/Reference/267?tab=distribution

colubrina

http://www.tropicos.org/Name/13015659?tab=distribution

peregrina

http://www.tropicos.org/Name/13015662?tab=distribution

Anadenanthera3_zps19c50326.jpg

Anadenanthera2_zps9acc9928.jpg

Anadenanthera4_zpsd1735ab3.jpg

Anadenanthera3_zps19c50326.jpg

• Like 1

they definately don't look like colubrina seeds to me. i never have observed this "ring" on the circumfrence of colubrina seeds.

most yopo seed websearches picture your type of seed, with the bicycle tyre appereance!!

looking good, me thinks.

• Like 1

I went through all of the older ethnobotany texts I could find on yopo, vilca, etc. and it appears you are correct in your assumption about Anadenathera peregrina being the sole endemic species to Colombia/that part of Colombia, but with these older texts you might want to take things with a grain of salt due to identification issues.

Your photos show seeds that don't look like any of the colubrina I've seen and they do look like the few authentic examples of peregrina I could find.

great thanks for looking. they look different in that way from teh ones i had gotten previously as well, but i cant be sure fo teh ID on the ones i got before either. the ones before were "active", these ones are yet untested but traded by peopel who use them for this purpose there so should be good.

some herbarium shots if anyone else is into it.

http://fm1.fieldmuse...ge=25&x=76&y=10

if anyone has access, can enarge teh photos.

http://plants.jstor....imen/k000504690

ana_zpsbb00014f.jpg

these are my old seeds which came from some north american reseller which i now forget, about 5-6 years ago. my platns now are from thses seeds, but thought i would put up teh seeds pic in case its useful. htey all had the ridge adn center indents, but no where near as pronounced. i have agood number of seed an dit seem pretty consistant in the new oens to all look like above photos. also these ones from Colombia are smaller than what i rememebr previous ones from the states adn brazil being. will have more pics as they grow.

Edited by kadakuda

The ring on the circumference is normal for colubrina and peregrina. Size can vary greatly for either species and so can shape, colour and markings. Botanists widely agree that you can't differentiate these two species by seed morphology. The only reason I asked for a seed pic is to exclude the many other seeds that are being sold as peregrina which range from Leucaena to unidentified large annuals vine seeds.

I guess now the best thing is to wait for flowers. There is a thread on these forums that outlines how to ID peregrina from the newly opened flowers.

• Like 1

Doesn't kada get cold enough that he will have the same sort of self-sorting issue you and PH had with peregrina/colubrina probably before he gets flowers?

Doesn't kada get cold enough that he will have the same sort of self-sorting issue you and PH had with peregrina/colubrina probably before he gets flowers?

very important! watch out for this, because by the time you confirm it it will be too late.

good to know, cheers. We are in the middle of buying new land further south and from what we have seen it stays a few degrees warmer than our current spot.

Iboga and Durian both grow here through winter outside, is A. peregrina more cold sensitive than them? i was reading some old posts here about the cold. do you guys have any growing now that have withstood outside temps in the cooler times?

Will be keeping a few, should i be so lucky as to get lots of sprouts, in the greenhouse where 20 is about the coldest temp possible anytime. Will they be able to withstand temps up to 55C? i have had a number of leafy plants growing in there up to 60 without much trouble surprisingly. the sides are screen and half-3/4 open all the time so good air flow.

I reckon the minimums would reflect iboga pretty closely. ie a one year old plant survived about as good as the iboga plants near it, with about the same amount of dieback. However, in our climate iboga doesn't survive every winter!!

I don't think summer temps will be an issue as it will simply drop its leaves when too hot or dry.

to my experience the humidity is most important for iboga, and the temperature should never drop under 20°C.

It was a long way to find the right climate conditions for it to grow it in the cold Austrian winter. Now it grows well in a small greenhouse at 80-90% humidity and 26-27°C.

I also think they are A. peregrina var. peregrina- seeds, the ring which Torsten mentioned can also be seen, the flower will show ;-)

Colombia is my next travel destination of next year!

In Colombia there are many psychoactive organisms, it has the second place in biodiversity, and there are many climates (Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, the highest coastal mountains are near your area, home of the Kogi and the three most famous euphoric plant-species of the world are cultivated in the mountains... I only say colombia gold), as you sure know already...

Did you search for Metteniusa edulis? It has ritual significance for the Kogi (hallucinogenic?) http://psychotropia.co/?p=1679

Salvia venulosa is the closest relative to Salvia divinorum and also occurs in Colombia

I also give credit to the finding of Chr. Rätsch who saw the fly agaric in the Colombian andes, possibly brought there by pine plantings

Banisteriopsis muricata does also occur in Colombia.

Edited by mindperformer

cheers thanks Torsten. i think if its like iboga i should be fine. we are right in the middle of our annual cold snap and its about 14C right now (3am). the iboga are not dieing, but certainly are not the happiest plants in teh garden. i have seedlings from SAB fruit growing now as well, which are growing inside unheated very well.

Mindperformer, not sure if you were thinking of me or not, but i didnt go there, i traded with someone who lives there. I have never been to that continent (yet). when you go, can we expect some seed collections and photos while there?

Update on the seeds. they are germinating within 24 hours, all are outside right now in the cool winter weather and doing fine so far. i did 3 batches. 1 tray in vermiculite 1 tray in expanded clay pellets and 1 bag of sphagnum moss. seems though that fresh seeds just germ super easy regardless. I almost regret putting down about 1000.

• Like 1

I almost regret putting down about 1000.

cull, a lot. i know cebil (not vilca, but it would be the same), it's a super weed tree, grow only a few.

edit: sorry, sell like hell! :)

it's a most wanted, hehehe...

Edited by planthelper

cool weather can kill the seedlings very quickly. I'd keep them protected and inside.

i dont cull, at least not intentionally.

cheers for the warning, i will keep them in the greenhouse during winter i think.

Irie,

Just noticed flowers, high up!

Hopefully, photos in a week or two!

Respect,

Z

• Like 2