The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Neoshaman

Kratom an effective way to quit many things

I was recently speaking to a friend overseas who has quit smoking cannabis , he use to mix all his sessions and has been smoking for close to 15 years around 2 grams per day was his consumption before quitting probably use up to a pack of 20's in week for mix purposes , upon quitting he experienced many of the symptoms associated with tobacco withdrawal aswell as a general edginess which he feels relates to the cannabis but is predominatly suffering from tobacco associated withdrawal symptoms he has been using herbs such as blue lotus, wild dagga, delosperma, kanna , prickly poppy etc.etc. to take ther edge off he advises these certainly help but definitely do not kill the cravings or help with sleep

Out of need to get a good night sleep he decided to chew a leaf from his kratom plant , one singler leaf was so effectivee it killed all cravings , and he tells me he had his best night sleep in years not just since he stopped smoking weed I have read Kratom is effective for dealing with Opiate withdrawals , however due to what i have been told by my friend it seems it may be a good way out of a bad cannabis habit and even effective to combat tobacco addiction obviously this is just one persons experience so I'm not amking any definitive conclusion from this but does anyone else know of reports where Kratom is used to beat other addictions apart from opiate or what is your opinion of its effectiveness in such situations as from my understanding Kratom is not all that addictive when taken in small doses,

I mean its rather useless information here in Oz cause there is no fucking kratom, it being illegal and all however i'm sure the overseas forum users could find the information beneficial

hmmmm wonder how one would go trialing it to combat addiction after all University of Queensland done it with ibogaine probably a bit beyond my league being a Business post-grad although I think its an area thats worthy of further investigation

Very interesting. One of my overseas friends is trying this, I'll let you know how things go.

Keep in mind that Kratom itself is somewhat addictive. Swim had a severe problem with alcohol, which he used Kratom to successfully quit.

While Kratom is certainly a much safer and easier monkey to juggle than alcohol, he has so far been unable to quit Kratom. He is tapering his dose about 20% every 2 weeks, but at one stage was using 45 grams Maeng da daily.

Weed is not physically addictive. As a daily user of weed swim can stop whenever he needs a break without any problem other than boredom, but with Kratom the withdrawals are very real.

Swim would certainly recommend Kratom for breaking serious addictions such as opiates, amphetamines, tobacco and alcohol, however would strongly discourage it for use in quitting weed.

Edited by tryptamine

It sounds like your tapering off too slow, its probably adding to the addiction. When I broke my tobacco addiction (with no replacement drug) I tapered off incrementally too, but did so over a period of 4 weeks and while it was quite unpleasant I could tell I could have done it in 3, possibly even 2 weeks and still succeeded. If you reckon kratom is less addictive than tobacco why are you tapering off over a period of half a year!?!

Christ, I now have an urge to go out and kill all my kratom trees :lol:

It sounds like your tapering off too slow, its probably adding to the addiction. When I broke my tobacco addiction (with no replacement drug) I tapered off incrementally too, but did so over a period of 4 weeks and while it was quite unpleasant I could tell I could have done it in 3, possibly even 2 weeks and still succeeded. If you reckon kratom is less addictive than tobacco why are you tapering off over a period of half a year!?!

Christ, I now have an urge to go out and kill all my kratom trees :lol:

Sorry, I meant to say 20% above, have edited now. Swim has the kids every second week so he tapers his dose when they are not around.

I am sitting on the fence as to whether kratom is more or less addictive than tobacco. It is certainly healthier. While it is somewhat addictive Kratom does not appear to have any noticeable negative health effects.

Swim is tapering slowly to avoid risking the urge to have a drink to stop the anxiety he feels when cutting back to quick. He also enjoys kratom a lot and is hoping to be able to go back to occasional usage eventually. He has used kratom daily for a couple of years now and has found more positives than negatives. The main negative is the time consumed in preparation and the tightening up of restrictions regarding supply.

Edited by tryptamine

Would Kratom help more with the physical or the psychological addiction with opiates?

Would Kratom help more with the physical or the psychological addiction with opiates?

I would assume it has enormous potential for both, especially physical.

Sucks I missed the Kratom bandwagon when it was still legal :(

Sucks I missed the Kratom bandwagon when it was still legal :(

IME, you didnt miss much. there's much better stuff out there

I found kratom to be terrible when using it to battle opi8 WDs. The stimulation and anxiety it brought out coupled with an increase of the cold sweat on my back and leg pain was horrible, it seemed to multiply the effects of WDs and was of no use whatsoever, the only thing it did was make me bounce of the walls and crave a taste more than i was before i had it. I happily obliged my poor lil opi8 receptors that day.

This of course all happened on mumu island where everything is legal :P

One problem is Kratom has a short duration. I have heard opiate addicts find it frustrating to wake up in the night with withdrawals and needing to re dose.

But Kratom extract has been claimed to have been used successfully in NZ as an alternative to methadone, unfortunately I am not sure of any other details of these trials however.

Keep in mind different strains of Kratom have a different chemical makeup, so some strains may be better suited to different applications than others.

Re: alcohol - Kratom just plain removes the desire for a drink, amazingly effective IMO. Swim has not had a drink in a long time and feels the best he has in years.

As an added bonus, Kratom seems to exhibit some of the Uncaria families immune system boosting qualities. While swims wife has had several flu's and other bugs this winter, swim has slept beside her and remained in perfect health, not even so much as a sniffle.

Its a tragic shame that legislation will likely come before we have a chance to fully realize the benefits this plant has to offer mankind.

The main negative is the time consumed in preparation and the tightening up of restrictions regarding supply.

Tryptamine, I'm curious about the prep time. Fos just chewed it. Are you talking about some kind of curing process, or just the time it takes to pick the bits out of your teeth? :P

Tryptamine, I'm curious about the prep time. Fos just chewed it. Are you talking about some kind of curing process, or just the time it takes to pick the bits out of your teeth? :P

Takes Swim about 3.5 hours daily to consume his am and pm sessions, each consisting of boiling the leaves for 20mins, straining and drinking, then repeating 3-4 times.

While toss n wash would speed things up, Swim likes the fact that a good boil would likely sterilize any St East Asian floor scrapings his supplier may have included in the powered plant material ;)

He tried using the so called 15X extract (realistically about 5X) and this was great, unfortunately supply run out :(

I assume chewing would only be viable with fresh material, not sure?

Cant you just stew up a weeks supply and freeze in 1 day quantities and thaw one every day? Like when you get home move tomorrows ice cube to the fridge so its melted by morning sorta thing.

Tryptamine, I know Fos just chewed it dry. However it took a lot of chewing and fos couldn't have much without wanting to :puke:, so it was a very mild effect apparently; sort of energetic but quite dreamy at the same time (especially when walking). I can see why boiling it up would be easier and more efficient, but I don't think it's necessary if you prefer a fairly mild effect like my fos does. I reckon your mate would have become used to much more concentrated doses, so wouldn't get much of anything out of chewing it dried.

have been told chewing is unnecessary.....just quid it......can apparently be taken out for later reuse if not required.10 mins or so to come on.

t s t .