The Corroboree

By walled garden I assume he is talking about how Apple are crazy restrictive with their technology and software - allowing very few avenues for true customization and control over devices.

A nice example is the iPhone - where you need to jailbreak (and thus void your warranty) in order to install third party software. In other words if you want to install apps, you are forced to go through the Apple market. Otherwise jailbreak - but once you do that you better be prepared to pay a fortune to repair if it turns out there is a hardware defect even if it's their fault.

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

a mac is essentially a unix box with integrated hardware and OS. there is heaps of open source software, never have to buy any commercial products for it if you know what your doing. I've had the same macbook for almost 6 years now and it has been really great. that being said, I'll probably go for ubuntoo next time for something different. the problem is finding hardware that is as good as apple's.

the problem is finding hardware that is as good as apple's.

:scratchhead: Did you mean to say youd have a hard time finding hardware as overpriced as apple?

clearly i'm talking about a personal computer and not a stinking phone. i don't give a fuck if you can't install shit open source applications on your phone which don't work or crash you os. i tried installing beos once, pointless waste of three days that was.

:scratchhead: Did you mean to say youd have a hard time finding hardware as overpriced as apple?

i shopped around recently for a pc, looking at windows laptops that were comparable build (aluminium body), and specs either priced at least or more expensive than a mac.

clearly i'm talking about a personal computer and not a stinking phone. i don't give a fuck if you can't install shit open source applications on your phone which don't work or crash you os. i tried installing beos once, pointless waste of three days that was.

Dude. I was giving one example of one of their devices to explain what that term Walled Garden meant.

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

Off topic but i had my iphone4 replaced 3 times while in warranty after jailbreaking it :)

Jailbreaking is the bomb lol

Have you tried any of the suggestions posted in here yet qualia? Curious to see what the problem was

Have you tried any of the suggestions posted in here yet qualia? Curious to see what the problem was

i'm not the one with the problem.

Dude. I was giving one example of one of their devices to explain what that term Walled Garden meant.

i was actually referring to at0m who posted it originally. and it was half meant in jest. obviously computers aren't something to get riled up about.

Off topic but i had my iphone4 replaced 3 times while in warranty after jailbreaking it :)

Then I happily stand corrected on that one. I've had a friend who had a bit of trouble after jailbreaking with warranty. I do remember something about a court case being one last year re: jailbreaking.

Most of my friends who produce music insist they need macs - I tend to agree with them on that one. Personally I just don't like their products because I like to fuck with my shit so much... even my phone has 5 different clocking profiles for the CPU based on battery life and temperature lol.

i was actually referring to at0m who posted it originally. and it was half meant in jest. obviously computers aren't something to get riled up about.

I ain't riled up. I wouldn't have started a sentence with 'dude' if I was :lol:... generally in the riled up situation I lean towards words like 'douche' and 'jerk' .

yeah apple hardware is expensive but it is well made. i'm not an apple nut or anything just had a good experience with the one apple computer I have ever bought, which has probably saved me money by lasting so long and being so productive during that time. if your going to do scientific computing you need a unix based OS so that rules windows out for many people.

With the Mac you don't have to battle with drivers and other conflicts, everything just fucking works.

Some of the virtual machines are quite good these days and with the power of a modern PC you can run different operating systems at the same time. Choose your favourite OS as a host and run another one or more as a guest/s

My comp wasn't powerful enough to run OSX emulation through windows, but it's installed and running fine as a second OS, just comes up in the boot menu :)

If anyone wants a sus just look up iATKOS

everything just fucking works.

Apple does not allow French characters while entering a "wifi" password. Also it was a huge battle to get my partners mac to connect at all to an unencrypted network. I have had to "fix" many things on that Mac. From what ive seen, they deff do not "just work"

One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't:

1. If everything on a Mac just works, then why does a website called "Mac fix it" exist, assholes? Here are a few choice topics on macfixitforums.com:

-Login window stuck!

-lower caSe "S" key not working!!

-Menu bar keeps flashing

-I can't drag and drop![/indent]

Edited by eatfoo
  • Like 1

^^^ Bahahah serious dude??? I'm a PC user and I'm running Ubuntu as well as LMDE.

However I'm not going to pretend that a PC using a Linux GUI (command line can't really go wrong) doesn't have any bugs or problems. There are plenty of them, but they don't bother linux users because they are generally the type who can fix those things easily without it causing any bother.

Everybody has their preference in this debate and it seems they will defend it to the death.

look what i started. the stupidest argument in the history of humanity comes to SAB

feel my wrath motherfuckers :uzi:

• Like 1

Apple does not allow French characters while entering a "wifi" password. Also it was a huge battle to get my partners mac to connect at all to an unencrypted network. I have had to "fix" many things on that Mac. From what ive seen, they deff do not "just work"

One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't:

You're talking about simple problems though really, and taking what I've stated out of context.

It's not like you need to write your own device drivers or sort out any major dramas with a mac if you use compatible hardware.

When was the last time you fried a monitor on a mac because you didn't know its scan mode or rate?

If you'd seen how complex it was to get Linux up and running with GUI ten years ago you'd understand how complex these machines that we take for granted are. A PC has an enormous no. of possible hardware configurations where a mac a standard combination that kicks a PC's arse so many respects.

The mac I had never caused me any problems, maybe you got a dud.

I actually enjoy a PC because I always have to fix things.

You're talking about simple problems though really, and taking what I've stated out of context.

Not really, you said "they just fucking work". In the context it was in, i still disagree.

When was the last time you fried a monitor on a mac because you didn't know its scan mode or rate?

When was the last time that happened to you on a PC. 99.99% of the time it is auto configured correctly in my exp.

The internet is littered by articles dealing with hardfaults and driver issues

I currently own a 2006 Macbook Pro 1.1, and since some months I have recurrent problems of displays bug or artifacts. I searched quickly around to see that a lot of other users on Mac (iMac or Macbook Pro) also have the same problem due to a problem for the X1600 video card. Apparently it's due to overheating problem, in my case even without warming a lot I have very bad display bugs such as colorful pixel lines, or glitches, and freeze and crash, all of this on Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard.

The mac I had never caused me any problems, maybe you got a dud.

Not a dud. Just a very common problem. In the end my partner was sick of Mac ranting (lack of troubleshooting options ect) that she called customer support who had a list of 10 things to "try".

I can see your point and i do understand that the "stardisation" should make them more reliable. But to use the catch phrase "they just work" implies exactly that. It doesnt imply that a standard build blah blah makes it more reliable then a linux PC 10 years ago, its saying IT JUST WORKS, wich clearly is not true.

look what i started. the stupidest argument in the history of humanity comes to SAB

feel my wrath motherfuckers :uzi:

I have this debate weekly with my house mate lol.

Im not really a PC enthusiast i just dont like the whole "oh your PC is broken, you should totaly just get a mac, they never break and are sooooo trendy"

Im going to quote Maddox again, as it sums up my stance pretty well

]After the recent Apple conference, Mac fans were elated. One person was quoted as saying "I've had a Macintosh now for a total of 35 days, and I'm really excited to be part of the Mac community." Part of the Mac community? It's a computer, not a social movement, asshole! I feel like Apple is not just selling computers, they're selling a way of life, and I'm not ready to be that heavily invested in a product.[/size]

If I want to manufacture biological weapons with my copy of iTunes, I will, fascists. Ditch this bullshit.
  • Like 1

I currently own a 2006 Macbook Pro 1.1, and since some months I have recurrent problems of displays bug or artifacts. I searched quickly around to see that a lot of other users on Mac (iMac or Macbook Pro) also have the same problem due to a problem for the X1600 video card. Apparently it's due to overheating problem, in my case even without warming a lot I have very bad display bugs such as colorful pixel lines, or glitches, and freeze and crash, all of this on Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard.

This is the computer I have, and I had the same problem. Nvidia made a bad batch of GPU's that would overheat and eventually die. Apple got some, as did a whole bunch of other manufacturers. Apple replaced the motherboard on all affected units free of charge irrespective of warranty.

• Like 1

Kind of my point. Macs are subject to the same problems faced by all pc's. Im certanly not claiming non macs to be imune from anything.

Most of my friends who produce music insist they need macs - I tend to agree with them on that one.

There is no reason they can't professionally produce music on a PC, same goes for design and graphics, despite the mac snobbery in some sectors of the creative industries.

I thought I wanted a Mac until my wife got hers and I realized it annoys the shit out of me. It seems like a scaled down PC with frustrating limitations, a patronizing OS and shithouse games... all for twice what you would pay for an equivalent PC!

Edited by chilli
  • Like 3

With regards to computer hardware maintenance I can offer the following observation. Laptops (and desktop towers) suck in lots of dust. The dust transmutes via some arcane process into dust bunnies. The dust bunnies shit in heatsink fans and when they die their carcasses collect in all the little slots and vents that allow the computer to breath. Open the case of *any* computer that is 18-24 months old, draw some eyes on your finger with a sharpie so that it resembles a ferret and chase them dust bunnies out and the computer is good to go again. If it isn't dust bunnies it's probably a desicated electrocuted gecko.

• Like 1