The Corroboree
Leo^

New Active Ingrefient in Codral Cold and Flu

My mate told me he tried these new codrals and he was feeling weird and hallucinating slightly all night.He offered me some so I had a look at the new ingredient and it appears to be DXM instead of psuedoephedrine. Gee that woulda mixed well with my ssris :ana:

yeah, last time i had a terrible head cold i was given those. felt a bit strange after i'd taken them, but it was when i smoked that it became quite intense. it took me a couple of days to check the packet, but sure enough it was DXM. which also explained the wierd muscle spasms i was experiencing when yawning, reminding me of darker days in the past :puke:

:wub::wub::wub::wub: I love DXM when I get sick. I don't bother with it any other time, but it does make being sick kinda bearable. I just love to drift off to sleep after a hard day's couging and feeling miserable. But being hypoglycemic, what I can't handle is the terribly sweet syrup all DXM is in. I also seem to react poorly to guaifenesine. The only DXM syrup without yucky additives isn't being stocked by our local chemists - must have been too popular with the locals kids :rolleyes:

Having it in pills rocks!!

Ok, I'm interested.

What else is in these pills? Paracetamol or anything easily OD-able?

Just did a quick search on epharmacy... all there codral cold and flu contained the regular codeine and pseudoephedrine.

The only cold and flu I found that had DXM was one by Parke Davis ( is that the right company? I dunno...stupid lack of short term memory) and it was available by prescription only.

-bumpy

the new ingredient replacing pseudoephedrine in codral cold and flu should be phenylephrine. the other ingredients are paracetamol and codeine, and an antihistamine similar to chlorphenarimine (i think) in the night time.

the old pseudo cold and flu tablets are now being regulated, and packet sizes larger than 6 pills will be script-only next month.

Just did a quick search on epharmacy... all there codral cold and flu contained the regular codeine and pseudoephedrine.

The only cold and flu I found that had DXM was one by Parke Davis ( is that the right company? I dunno...stupid lack of short term memory) and it was available by prescription only.

-bumpy

just checked the one's i have, they are actually Panadol brand non-drowsy Cold & Flu tablets.

30mg pseudoephedrine, 15mg dxm, 500mg paracetamol.

These drug cocktails kinda freak me out. The one that puzzles me the most is the dextromethorphan/guaiphenesin combination. If you have a chest infection and require an expectorant to help remove the puss from your lungs, why would you also take an antitussive at the same time? Doesn't it just defeat the purpose of taking the expectorant?

The one mentioned in the last post by ajna: pseudoephedrine to dry up mucous membranes and perk you up. If you're sick this will prevent you're body dealing with the bacteria/virus in your nose and throat, and will also encourage you to put more stress on your body because you don't realise how sick you are. DXM to prevent you from coughing, thereby keeping puss and bacteria laden mucus in your throat/lungs. And finally paracetamol...um...does paracetamol actually do ANYTHING? Supposedly it's an analgesic. Even on the odd chance that I has a runny nose, a dry cough, and a headache all at once, I wouldn't take this sort of cocktail. I sometimes take guaiphenesin to help out a chesty cough, but I actually see a purpose in that. As far as OTC analgesics go. They're useless. I get severe back pain quite often and no OTC painkillers can even slightly reduce it. If I've got a slight headache or a bit of an ache here or there, I'd rather just ride it out than bother wasting my money on OTC painkillers.

Back to the point of this thread...If a dxm only tablet became available in Australia, I would still only buy the syrup. Dxm is insanely easy to extract, and I can put two bottles worth in one 000 sized gelatine capsule rather than having to swallow scores of gelcaps. When I did my fourth plateau experience, I actually managed to fit 3x200mL bottles of extract into one 000 capsule.

Edited by ballzac

Gee that woulda mixed well with my ssris

I dosed DXM (2nd-3rd Plateau doses numerous times) whilst on Effexor, and also whilst on Luvox.

No medication interaction. No serotonin syndrome. No death.

Personally I choose to never go near that stuff again. Yucky yucky chemy blech. Not a K fan either.

oohhhhh thanx for that news! I had some wicked insights on the 2nd plateau, wouldnt mind going back sometime without maryjane, she was distracting me with her giggling antics (but I still love her more than anything :worship: )

Just a friendly remind paracetamol can destroy your liver quite easily and you won't know till its too late. So don't go eating to many of those pills.

Just a friendly remind paracetamol can destroy your liver quite easily and you won't know till its too late. So don't go eating to many of those pills.

When I had meningitis a few years ago I was on 4000 mg of paracetamol a day for a month. I wasn't told of how damaging this could be at the time and wasn't offered any other pain killers (which, when it feels like there's an alien trying to escape from your spine, paracetamol really is fucking pointless!)

Anywho, The first drink I had after hospital just about killed me and I was spewing for the next 3 days :puke: It wasn't till a month later that another doctor told me that any alcohol or drugs could potentially kill me because my liver would be "very weak".

For such a widely used drug there really needs to be more said about its negative effects, needless to say I don't touch the shit any more, BAD memories + what little effect it once had has now deminished :ana: