The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
THP

Aussie Mycology/Mushroom Supplies

Hi guys quick guide for those looking to get into monotub grows to give you an idea of where to get supplies and what to look for. I went overboard in most areas though so you should be able to easily cut the cost by $100-$200. Especially if you have some of the items around the house already. Also please note I am not in Eastern states so had limited range of items/stockists to choose from (I also couldn't be fucked hunting around spending time to save a dime here and there)

I did spore -> agar -> grain jars -> monotub CVG spawn

207504362-mycoaussie.png

Total was ~$501.

Spore prints - stick to domestic and I've left a clue on how to attain them. Mason quart jars can be found at BigW/Woolies apparently (other ones work too).

For your grains, can go to your local bulk health food store or otherwise, I just bought them from aussievetproducts with discount sihpping codes from ozbargan.

Agar Containers can get from anywhere really, just get it under 150ml (75-100mL is prob sweet spot) and make sure it's PP5 (look at the bottom of the container where the triangle is and if there's a 5 its PP5 - means it can resist breaking during pressure cooking etc)

Saunders Malt Extract, don't have to use this for Agar nutrients, can use milo (sports drink), dog food or whatever else.

The 70L all set storage container from bunnings was closest I could find to a 60 quart monotub (general AMerican standard tub). It's a bit bigger than that so you can add more substrate if you want when spawning.

I had a drill at home to use for holes in the monotubs, for the Still air box you can use a coffee can or so, heat it up on stove real hot then press it into the tub till it melts the plastic, may have to repeat few times if you didnt get the can hot enough. Take off the coffee can lid before heating.

That's about it, you can hit up aquaponic/hydroponic stores for your coco coir, gypsum and vermicullite or just go bunnings but they sell it only in bulk.

Pressure cooker got off ebay and it can cook up 10 quart jars at once otherwise any other cooker should do fine (hopefully 15psi) but may have to do multiple cycles to get all the grain jars done. Also came with bonus 6 regular quart mason jars which came in handy

These links will be handy (shaman australis is especially handy for Aus specific mycology things - use the search function):
http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26449
http://aussimushroomsupplies.com/

• Like 4

I thought your post was going to be about www.aussimushroomsupplies.com haha

I noticed you posted a link to them at the bottom of your page, though didn't use them in your purchases.

I have shopped with these guys before and can say I was quite happy with the range, price, and service.

Especially for the harder to find mycology supplies :)

Also be careful with the coco coir brick from hydro store. Coco that is intended for agricultural use, usually has trichoderma added for the benefit of plant roots. Not beneficial for mushrooms though. I can also attest to the easywetta stuff being crap.

Best bet is pet store coco.

I know you said you weren't worried about cost but if you go to a landscape supplies or eBay you can get 100L verm for about $30.

Looks like you are all sorted though THP, have fun :)

• Like 1

Is there any particular tek you used or was a it a mashup of certain methods to make your own? Great write up by the way.

Yeah I posted a link to AussieMushroomSupplies as they're pretty handy/convenient, I didn't order from them due to having to wait for shipping but noticed they had a good range of selection and good prices. Also comes in handy when trying to organize what you need for different parts/areas of the growing process.

N yeah for sure take care with the Coco coir used, the 'Coco Peat Brick' was recommended to me by another user on these forums and it worked out well :)

Cheers on the Verm tip, will look into that if I get into this hobby deeper

In terms of teks it was a mashup, I used these threads a lot and modelled Frank's 12 steps with a few variations.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19140341

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17897163

• Like 2

Good write up THP, as previously mentioned large bags of verm can be obtained via ebay/hydroponic/agricultural stores, just make sure you get the correct grade, if not a food processor will grade it down for you (just wear a mast as the dust is nasty).

• Like 1

Must say I agree with Etho, getting the right grade verm saves a lot of work later on

• Like 2

Bricks of coir are heavy so if you order online try to find a site that has free shipping with larger orders.

My last order I bumped it up to 30 bricks (10 3-packs) that weighed over 20 kilos, but I got free shipping.