The Corroboree
Yeti101

Federal Government set to introduce short-term ban on synthetic drugs

Selling some synthetic drugs will be illegal around Australia, under a plan expected to be announced today by the Federal Government.

Assistant Treasurer David Bradbury is expected to announce a nationwide ban on a list of synthetic drugs under consumer law for up to 120 days.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-16/federal-ban-on-synthetic-drugs/4756820

This is the list of products included in the NSW ban, which is reportedly the same list used in the federal ban above.

• The interim ban applies to goods known by or containing any of the following goods (including any colourable variation of the name):

• White Revolver
    • Ash inferno
    • Kyote
    • K2
    • Kronic
    • Black Widow
    • Buddha Express Black Label
    • Iblaze Tropic Thunder
    • I blaze
    • Galaxy Ultra Nova
    • Skunk
    • Circus Deluxe
    • Vortex Inferno
    • Herbal Incense
    • King Karma
    • Montana Madness
    • Sharman
    • Iceblaze
    • Slappa

Further, the interim ban refers to any good that is:

• equivalent to the goods in the above list
    • supplied or offered for supply and represented as such an equivalent,

whether or not the relevant consumer good is supplied with a disclaimer to the effect that the consumer good is not intended for human consumption.

Edited by Anodyne

Damn crazy legislation covering brand names which may change and multiply like the weather.

Such arbitary legislation.

Many vendors may rightfully claim that their products are not equivalent to those of their competitors.

Damn crazy legislation covering brand names which may change and multiply like the weather.

Such arbitary legislation.

Many vendors may rightfully claim that their products are not equivalent to those of their competitors.

Yeah, maybe as long as they don’t refer to their product as ‘Herbal Incense’. Maybe if they called there product ‘dream herbs’ or something, with instructions on the back that state the product is not for human consumption but instead should be placed under your pillow at night to induce vivid dreams.

Lol, maybe a little creative thinking is all that is needed here.

Anyway, it’s actually kind of ironic, this whole ban started over an incident that involved a synthetic hallucinogen and had absolutely nothing to do with synthetic noids, yet they seem to have specifically targeted noids, WTF.

To be honest, (imo) I think the only arbitrary aspect of this is how they blamed the synthetics for the dudes death in the first place. I mean lets face it, anyone who gets mega high and decides jumping out of a window sounds like a good idea, clearly has some serious issues and were on there way out anyway.

How instantly they attack drugs, one death out of however many people taking drugs and they freak out. Yet something like climate change, which has the potential to disrupt millions of lives and fuck with the farming system, is almost completely ignored.

Politicians seem so out of touch with reality it's not funny. They are like petty morons, only willing to tackle the simplest of ideas

eg Fun = Bad.

Honestly, I have such a low opinion of our species (as a whole) and it doesn't improve over time.

Even the newly formed Guardian Australia hasn't covered this topic any where near properly. Maybe it's time to write a few letters?

I'm so sick of how quickly politicians jump when it's persecution, like drugs or refugees, but when it comes to serious issues they piss about and never get anything done. I'm so annoyed about this it's just one more highlight showing how pathetic our political system really is.

I was thinking of writing some letters to my local members after the oursay.org question had been posted in the senate and an answer received. With the ban being in place for 120 days we've got 120 to make a difference, or at least try. I'm sure if everyone who voted in that campaign and a few more wrote letters, maybe even called them, they'd listen to us more.

By the way, anyone voting for the 21st century Australia party keep in mind that a friend of mine emailed them asking for their stance on drug law reform and called their head office. No answer was received on email and she was told that the person she originally emailed gets back to you really quick. So I suppose that's their stance, silence just like all the other excuses for parties. I have to admit I thought that a few of their policies were actually good but now with that I have no idea who to vote for. We need some sort of crypto-voting system like akin to bitcoin so that people can vote on the issues and thus politicians are made for the most part redudtant, they certainly don't have much power as much as just being a spokesperson for the people as was originally intended.

Edited by Shamanistic

Such outright discrimination.

What say the federal govertnment anounces a 120 day nationwide ban on the sale of alchohol.

• Like 1

While most of me is appalled at the idiocy, lack of discrimination between unrelated drug-classes, and outright mistakes that have been made by authorities over the whole "synthetic drugs" issue, there's a tiny part saying "hey, if they keep fucking it up this badly there will be all kinds of useful loopholes when they eventually get around to banning them"