The Corroboree

Hi, just wondering if this is a clone A or B and also why it has a ribbed segment with spikes and the other segments are smooth, i recently purchased this one so any feedback, tnx

post-9494-0-85980100-1317445175_thumb.jp

post-9494-0-65262700-1317445193_thumb.jp

post-9494-0-85980100-1317445175_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-65262700-1317445193_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-85980100-1317445175_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-65262700-1317445193_thumb.jpg

we've only got the one clumper type in aus as far as i'm aware, it does elongate into long penis tips with no spines, with usually spines at the base of them which you can see. The spination and smooth parts are just how it grows, normal tbm.

yeah i wasnt sure whether a brigdesii pup had been grafted onto this plant, seems strange that one segment is ribbed with spines and the other segemnt are smooth, but i guess if it is a TBM then it is a mixture right?

The pup will smooth out as it grows. If you look closely at the smooth ones, they will have lines on them that used to be the gap between ribs.

• Like 1

do you know if they are a species as a result of human interference, i.e cloning/cross breeding, or do they occur naturally in nature,.

yeah i wasnt sure whether a brigdesii pup had been grafted onto this plant, seems strange that one segment is ribbed with spines and the other segemnt are smooth, but i guess if it is a TBM then it is a mixture right?

HAH i had the same thought re:graft, when i got my first one as a youngsta, embarrassingly held my ground thinking i knew my shit and was put into line by some of the knowledgable folk. I still cringe about it to this day :blush:

AFAIK the tbm clones in circulation where a result of mass seed sowing and finding a unique seedling in the batch, not sure if the oz one was sown in oz and is unique to the overseas ones, or if it's an imported clone back in the day, ditto with overseas, not sure if the lumping of clones into a / b / hulk (?) etc are similar and multiple seed growns or if there are only say 2 (or 3) genetic lines. 3 i mean, i can't remember if hulk was lumped into an a or b, or if it was distinct all together.

I reckon gunter and kt would know a bit more about em, ey fellas?

Edited by gerbil
  • Like 1

Is that how it started? I didn't know that TBM was not found "in nature" where other bridgesii are - is this true?

Anyhow, both clone A and B are superb plants - we have the clone A here in the USA, so I reckon it'l prolly turn up in Oz as well ;-)...

Edited by nitrogen

To the best of my knowledge clones A and B are distinct.

The plant in the first post in this thread appears to be clone B to me.

There is very little known about the origin of these clones, while they certainly grew from seed at some point, when and where does not appear to be known.

TBM forms seem to have been in horticulture for a very long time.

Backeberg claimed he grew the long prostate growing TBM form from seed. Not sure where the other one came from though. bye EG

Prostrate? As opposed to prostate?

Wen you can grow a long prostate from seed... Well things are getting interesting.

Hi Gunter, i meant the plant that SS sells as Clone A. I will check his book to make sure its definately this one. He encluded a description of "his" TBM so i´ll let you know if i find it.

Prostrate? As opposed to prostate?

Wen you can grow a long prostate from seed... Well things are getting interesting.

Well, it is a penis plant :lol:

• Like 5

I've often wondered if either clone is actually more than one clone, but with the same characteristics. For example, clone B is all over the world and is very common. If such a mutation can grow from seed once, then it could do it again. Perhaps bridgesii has a propensity (for want of a better word) to grow like clone A or B when it goes fully monstrose. If that's the case, then each clone could theoretically be more than one plant, that just appear identical or nearly identical. Normal seed grown plants can be like that, so why not monstrose seed grown plants? It's probably not likely, but it's possible. Surely at some point, another fully monstrose bridgesii will turn up in cultivation. Whether it will resemble either of the 2 (or 3) clones, who knows?

I truly hope that clone A does find its way into circulation here in Aus.

Also, what defines 'hulk's dick' as bridgesii? Does anyone know the origins of it? Is it even a confirmed Tricho?

good points,

not long ago i sent a couple of cuttings from a single plant, clone B, to a friend

the two cuttings were so different in appearance that they assumed that they had come from and represented different plants!!!!

They commented on this and i let them know that a single plant was the source of both of the very different looking cuttings.

I always wondered if that Hulk Dick is not actually the Trichocereus Santiaguensis aka. Spachianus Monstrose. Can somebody please veryify or rule that out? I dont know the Hulk dick and i´m not really sure if i should believe theres a third form. From the name, it could also be a thicker and older plant of Clone A. You know, they can become pretty thick sometimes.

There's a guy who sells cactus from his house in Petersham/Dulwich Hill that has what he calls "Penis Cactus". They look like regular clone B TBMs but he insists that they come from a Cereus peruvianus monstrose. Anyone seen a Cereus monstrose that looks like TBMs?

http://www.cactusped...i_big_penis.htm

Is this the one?

A bio could soon distinguish surely?

I had figured it was different, but looking at it again, I think it actually is. The 'hulk's dick' just doesn't look like a bridgesii to me.

'Hulk's dick':

260510394-the_hulks_dick02.jpg

260510401-the_hulks_dick01.jpg

Lophocereus schottii cv. 'Big Penis Cactus':

Lophocereus_schottii_big_penis_810.jpg

penis_cacti_540.jpg

Lophocereus_big_penis_apex_540.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty sure thats the Hulk Dick plant. Thanks for finally ruling it out as not a Bridgesii. I grew one of them years ago but wasnt aware its a Lophocereus monstrose. I bought it at the oldest german cactus nursery, kakteen haage, as TBM.

Damn it, just noticed those pics didn't work. Just Google 'Hulk's Dick' and check out Google Images for the pics.

yeah looks like the culprit the lophocereus, i came across it recently but still thought there could have been a bridge monstrose version, memory was from a europe or yank forum years ago when they had the three clones together claiming all bridge, but seems likely it was a mix up.

I had figured it was different, but looking at it again, I think it actually is. The 'hulk's dick' just doesn't look like a bridgesii to me.

'Hulk's dick':

260510394-the_hulks_dick02.jpg

260510401-the_hulks_dick01.jpg

Lophocereus schottii cv. 'Big Penis Cactus':

Lophocereus_schottii_big_penis_810.jpg

penis_cacti_540.jpg

Lophocereus_big_penis_apex_540.jpg

Those last 3 pictures might be what L. schottii looks like when grown out in Italy at cactus-art but they for darn sure dont look anything like the L shottii that grows in its natural habitat in Baja Mexico.

And to label it cv Big Penis Cactus just adds more confusion to the TBM side of things.

yeah looks like the culprit the lophocereus, i came across it recently but still thought there could have been a bridge monstrose version, memory was from a europe or yank forum years ago when they had the three clones together claiming all bridge, but seems likely it was a mix up.

Here's a hulk dick that's not an L. schottii :wink:

post-3765-0-34260700-1320383971_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-34260700-1320383971_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-34260700-1320383971_thumb.jpg