The Corroboree
tripsis

Researchers Produce Successful Cocaine Vaccine For Mice

Researchers Produce Successful Cocaine Vaccine For Mice

January 4, 2011 12:13 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Researchers at Weill Cornell Medical College have produced a vaccine that prevents mice from getting high on cocaine.

The vaccine combines bit of the common cold virus with a particle that mimics cocaine to create an anti-cocaine immunity in mice.

“We’ve developed a vaccine which elicits antibodies that is immunity against cocaine and so that this was done in mice,” said Dr. Ronald Crystal, the study’s lead investigator. “When we administer the vaccine to the mice and give the mice cocaine, they don’t get a high. They don’t run around and get all excited. It’s as if they never saw the cocaine.”

Crystal, chairman and professor of genetic medicine at Weill Cornell, said ultimately the goal is to develop a vaccine for humans. He believes the vaccine might be the first to help cocaine abusers battle and break their drug addiction and may help treat other habits like nicotine and heroin.

The antibody immune response produced in the lab mice sequestered the cocaine molecules and prevented them from reaching the brain, which also prevented the effects of cocaine such as hyperactivity.

“The strategy for this vaccine is to block the ability for cocaine when you inhale it to reach the brain,” Crystal said. “The vaccine binds up the cocaine in the bloodstream so it can’t reach the brain so you don’t get the high. So if people take cocaine, and they don’t get the high, they’ll stop using cocaine.”

The vaccine effect lasted for at least 13 weeks—the longest time point evaluated.

The vaccine works terrifically in mice, Crystal said, but they must determine whether it is safe for humans. The researchers must then do human trials and determine if the vaccines works for humans like it does for mice.

If all goes well, the vaccine could be ready for human testing within two years, Crystal said.

“Cocaine is a terrible problem in our society. It ruins a lot of lives. There is no treatment,” Crystal said. “If we can develop an effective vaccine, that’s a real positive step.”

Source.

How many years until its mandatory?

yeh my thoughts exactly... this technology like any other has plenty of potential to be mis-used and abused!

Just like cocaine itself... how ironic

• Like 1

next they will make a vaccine that totally eliminates our ability to get high... then what?

not meaning to be cynical... this could have plausabile and positive uses but i can't help but show a lack of trust for the powers that be for some strange reason

I personally think if they were to create drug-immune humans, we would slowly die off, and be spiritually lost.

yeah for sure eventually they will create it into our genetics form ppl who got tricked into takin it there of course will be those who dont get it done and our brain apparently has all the drugs in the world built into it if there was just some way to tap into it we wouldnt need to even take drugs

there will still be virtual drugs we could take in a virtual 3d simulated world oh yipee :BANGHEAD2:... more and more human brain robots for sure...

Everything has the potential to be abused. I agree what it could be used in a very wrong way, but it also has great therapeutic potential. One can only hope if the vaccine proves successful on humans, that those in power do not try to make it mandatory at birth. But perhaps it's a good thing? What are the benefits of cocaine for both individuals and society?

What are the benefits of cocaine for both individuals and society?

This is true, lets just hope they don't try it on more beneficial tools.

yeah dosent mean coke is bad thou just the ppl addicted to it can couldent keep their shit together which is probs pretty common but yeah still dosent mean every one else should miss out every one should be alloud to try anything at least once and make their judgement from that not from all the propaganda they feed u

• Like 1

I think it's an great option for those that feel as though their coke use is out of control and are ready for a change.

I don't think it would even become mandatory, population wide vaccines are far too expensive, and the cocaine problem affects a very small percentage of the population.

I can see it as an excellent option given to addicts in exchange for avoiding gaol time, for example.

common cold virus with a particle that mimics cocaine
The vaccine effect lasted for at least 13 weeks—the longest time point evaluated

For some reason modifying "a bit" of the common cold virus to last 13 weeks sounds scary to me :blink:

For some reason modifying "a bit" of the common cold virus to last 13 weeks sounds scary to me :blink:

They did not say that the virus remains for 13 weeks. It's an antibody immune response. They're actually saying that you will not getting another cold (high from cocaine) for at least 13 weeks.

Never realised antibodies had the potential to bind to drug molecules and target them for metabolism.. Interesting technology.

It it quite interesting. I wonder why we don't normally just build up a long-lasting immunity to drugs?

makes you think about when our next flu virus hits...

Everything has the potential to be abused. I agree what it could be used in a very wrong way, but it also has great therapeutic potential. One can only hope if the vaccine proves successful on humans, that those in power do not try to make it mandatory at birth. But perhaps it's a good thing? What are the benefits of cocaine for both individuals and society?

Rock and fuckin' Roll for one.