The Corroboree
Yeti101

Bottles for Home Brewing

If any of the members in the Newcastle area have any glass empties that might be used for bottling home-brew and are happy for me to call in and get them in the next week, let me know :lol:.

I found the plastic bottles sold for this purpose at Kmart to be much easier to work with.

I have some of those as back-up, so obviously it's not super-urgent. Personally I'm not that fussed either way, but some people are a bit funny about beer in plastic bottles.

for surewhen i brewe beer i used the plastic bots that came in the coopers pack.

was the best coopers sparkling ale ever.

Yeah, well, everyone still drank the beer (even after complaining about the bottles). Maybe I just won't worry about it.

the gas escapes over time from the plastic bottles.....no good.

The Coopers ones are coated in nylon(?) to stop the gas being lost, so it's mainly petty aesthetics :wink:

id go glass, there must be a reason U BREW ITS and the big corps only use glass, there was a thread here about plastic bottled water i think.......for me i only drink stubbies when i can, i find the cans taste metallic and bottles of plastic coke taste different.......besides the gas leaking issue/non issue.

my friend owns a u brew it and he sells the king browns to italians and co who use them for sauces, he cant get enough king browns fast enough before they walk out the door.

i think the amount i have thrown out over the years i could have amassed a small fortune, its still kinda amazing WA or some other states dont have the 10c recycling places........its weird its only adelaide.

What do you mean it's only Adelaide? I thought that SA was the last state to bring it in...

The doctor who is the head of Coopers Brewery is one of the biggest Liberal Party donors in South Australia.

If you want glass bottles just look around apartment block recycling bins (esp. on bin night) for pop-top longnecks being thrown out. Should be able to find plenty, some recycling bins are absolutely full of them and apartments sometimes separate glass so there are some bins full of just bottles and you don't have to dig down or anything. That way you recycle them directly. Doesn't make a difference where they come from after you sterilise them anyway, just remember not to leave a mess if you unpack anything. Once you have enough for a couple of batches at a time you can just collect any you come by casually and have a permanent supply of free, recycled glass bottles. Good deal.

think i got half a dozen under the sink for ya mate, but they need serious washing, but milk crate of them in the garage has been exposed to insect bomb...

atleast the plastic are cheap and pre-sterilised.

Edited by C_T

The doctor who is the head of Coopers Brewery is one of the biggest Liberal Party donors in South Australia

but fuck they make good beer. when i was a drnkin' man, sparklys where the only beer i would drink. 2 longs and ur shelackered, absolutely beautiful taste. First ever time i ever had a breakthrough cacti adventure, i stashed 2 longys in the freezer before i downed the tea. Anyways 1/4 way into the adventure, after the big initial rush, i remembered the longs (bout 3 hrs into it) got to the freezer, tripping balls, opened it, and there they where. In perfect condition, covered in ice crystals, perfectly chilled, JUST before ice formed in the beer. Remember it so clearly, quite a few yrs ago now, the whole bottle was frosted, drinkng that perfecto bottle of sparkly at that point of the adventure was truly a sublime moment, and made me a coopers man fo life. I was crying with appreciation of how much a rad beer it was. Literally tears where coming out. Now i dont drink at all, but im thinking this summer im gonna hafta stash a few sparklys in the freezer again after a long days work. Coopers Sparkling Ale forever :wub:

I did brew it, in bathurst theres a mad homebrewing place run by this old beerbellied dude who winds heaps of brewing comps. He had his version of the sparkly in a fridge in his shop gave me a taste and it was even better than a normal sparkly. Gave me all the gear to make it, had like these erb satchels i put in the brewing container and all. My first anbd last brewing attempt, and i shit u not i made some cre dela crem beer that made me the coolest kid in school amongst my beer swilling mates. Uber strong. One of my friends drank two longs at another friends place and ran outside to spew, ran into and speared himself on an agave plan, was yellin out to us to help him get of it but we couldnt hear him. anyways he pulled himself off and passed out on the lawn part from shock and partly from bein so gorroted on 2 of my longys. I stuck to old mates recipie to the word but me bein me chucked in a fair bit of xtra sugar. Still was the bomb and i feel pretty proud about that batch. Still resides in folklre arond these parts haha

I have always got my bottles from community recycling bins. Crown lager bottles used to be good. Dark brown, thick and pop top. Best part they are free and you feel good for actually doing some recycling

i re use the normal screw cap bottles, they sell these days, i re use simply the twist tops aswell, works well.

and i agree, the only beer one can be proud of as an australian is coopers, but even coopers was modyfied a few years ago, and since that time it has less % alcohol, what a pity.

europaen beer, i miss you. :(