The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kindness

Should we do a thread on IDing subs?

Sub ID thread  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seems to be alot of people trying to ID subs for whatever reason? Seems alot of people are interested in looking at spores or avoiding hallucinogenic mushrooms or something.. so in an effort to provide adequate information should we put together a guide?

Edited by meanies

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=13771

unfortunately it has never been finished but the sub part is there...what would be good is to have shots of subs in all their different conditions after weathering...as they can look kinda weird after ceratin weather conditions and are not always seen in their pristine condition...actually most of the ones my friends find are not is such a great condition as per the pics in that thread.

but yes a full on guide with pictures of environment and more pictures and spore print colour etc would be great.

thinking perhaps also of including some information about basic mushroom structure the sydney fungus collectors mob seem pretty good and have a few .pdfs that are worth looking at which could be included:

http://www.sydneyfungalstudies.org.au/arti...tmacrofungi.pdf

this following one in particular would be great to see people have a go at filling out before posting the question, "is this a sub" :

http://www.sydneyfungalstudies.org.au/arti...ata%20Sheet.pdf

I'd be willing to try and compile some stuff if others are willing to also chip in.

mz

guides are good, but I don't think it will stem the flow of ID request threads. I have looked at many pictures and guides for identifying subs, and yet have twice requested IDs. It's just the security of knowing someone with more knowledge than yourself thinks your mushrooms are correct and arnt likely to kill you.

Fair call, just might help some to feel more confident in knowing what to look for.

Just found this cartoon from 1894:

post-3725-1244538064_thumb.jpg

It's just the security of knowing someone with more knowledge than yourself thinks your mushrooms are correct and arnt likely to kill you.

Nothing wrong with that. The community would rather support those unsure by helping out with IDs whenever possible, indeed given the response rate to ID requests it seems to be a pretty successful system. That's not to say that a positive ID or two means you should chow down on your find of course... I would rather trust my own judgement than trust someone elses...

I personally think the ID section should be a last resort in a way; by which I mean that those requesting the ID should already have the knowledge to be confident themselves that they have the right shroom. The truth is that in regards to identifying Subs, a picture and description is not accurate. I know we all have to start somewhere, and for me that somewhere was here too; but I know I have been much more cautious and informed than others who have posted requesting IDs. Some of the ID requests are so far from the desired specimen it's shocking :slap: I guess that in itself demonstrates the need for better info on subs. It's all here already, but people are lazy and can't be bothered searching...

More info on Sub ID is a great idea, it all helps.

The more info on mushroom identification the better, but the frequency of positive (subs) id's with little info and based upon poor/old-shroom pics that I read lately worries me.

Positive id is hazy even with a good pic, spore-print,micro and macro characteristics, habitat, etc.

I'd advise people to be very careful in this regard, and ingest no shroom based solely upon a "confirmed id" from any net fora.

Been crook lately so haven't been out this season, but a quick check at a nearby pine plantation tonight showed tons of half-dried gallerinas that would easily pass for subs to those not conversant with them.

"If it doesn't stain blue (not sort-of blue or blueish, but a nice deep royal blue) I'd toss it" is the best advice that I can offer.

ed

which subs? sub-pans or psilo-subs?

I guess I'm a yes, cause I dont know any winter ones up the tropic zones. help.

activating a thread primarily based on ID purposes could be risky in terms of ramifications, could you narrow a particular misadventure to a single thread function, if you left it alone and somewhat random in terms of mushroom id replies then could it be never implied that the corroboree was the sole reason

lol 3 votes for 'get stuffed meanies this thread sucks'

santiago your last post makes me think of an over protective parent whose kid dies of alcohol poisoning. shouldn't we try to provide the best information so people can avoid misadventure, rather than letting people misadventure freely whilst our hands remain clean? our hands would be cleaner if we tried to help people ID so my hope is that the resident mycophiles do this thing.

May I suggest some photos be added to the gallery or the the existing ID guide that show a side by side comparison between Galerina and Subaeruginosa spore prints?

I say this because it is often put forward that one of the best techniques in differentiating the two species is by comparing the spore colour (Rusty brown = Galerina, Black/purple = Sub).

This is can be a very subjective judgement call, one that may be the deciding factor in what someone consumes or doesn't consume and in this case, as we know, a bad call is fatal.

Does anyone have a shot of a Galerina Autumnalis print?

I found this but it wont let me hotlink. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ophis/3025543452/

Spoons, it's a good idea, but there are a few issues. The main one is that the difference in spore colour might be misrepresented on many peoples monitors. Unless the original capture is perfectly white balanced, and the viewers' monitor is perfectly white balanced, the colours won't be accurate. You could argue that the difference between the colour of two spore prints will always be the same, but that doesn't represent the colour well. I'm not suggesting we shouldn't do what you have suggested, just that it's easy to be mislead.

The reality is that such a thread is primarily going to be used by those to lazy to use the search function. All of the information that would go into such a thread already exists on this forum to be found. My point is that if such a thread is created, it needs to be a detailed definitive guide that covers all aspects so as to educate and inform aforementioned lazy shroomers beyond a simple ID.