The Corroboree
sethomopod

Scale on Cactus

Hello Everyone,

Please have a look at the pics a tell me what you think.. :(

I cant see any bugs or critters that might be making it.

I say this because it comes off like a scale when you scrape it with your thumbnail.. just like 'scale' found on Mangoes....

It has spread fairly quickly and I'm starting to get worried!!

Any help is appreciated!!! :lol:

post-5455-1240416151_thumb.jpg

post-5455-1240416193_thumb.jpg

Edited by sethomopod

Hi Seth! Yes it looks like scale! Get yourself a brush and brush like there´s no tomorrow! :wink: This should help! bye Eg

Fantastic! Thanks very much!! Good karma comin' your way! :)

Its rare that people react so positive because of a scale diagnosis! :lol: Enjoy your stay on SAB! bye Eg

• Like 1

Is there a spray that we use for scale....I'm not one for pesticides but I would like to know what peoples choices are with sprays and scale...ones that really work with no damage to the plant.

Is there a spray that we use for scale....I'm not one for pesticides but I would like to know what peoples choices are with sprays and scale...ones that really work with no damage to the plant.

I am with you bud there is always a natural alternative, I have cut them off before when it just starts and this seems to work ok

im hesitant to use it, however some large cacti nurserys i have visited (a large 1 in coffs and Orana Cactus) use white oil spray. They insist that it doesnt harm the cacti. I will use it next time if i get some scale on some pachanoi and report back the effects.

their tip was not to coat the whole cacti, just target the scale infestation.

im hesitant to use it, however some large cacti nurserys i have visited (a large 1 in coffs and Orana Cactus) use white oil spray. They insist that it doesnt harm the cacti. I will use it next time if i get some scale on some pachanoi and report back the effects.

their tip was not to coat the whole cacti, just target the scale infestation.

Cool I will give it a try and report back thanks Jono

White oil works a treat.

Home made stuff is just as good as the store bought sprays, much much cheaper aswell!

White oil hey? cool.. I'm gonna go at it with a toothbrush first, see if it works... I'm a little worried that I may just move the scale around more by brushing it. I'll see how it goes. I'll keep postin...

I've tried picking them off with my fingernails..in fact I started growing 1 nail extra long to slide underneath and remove them...but when you start to see more and more and start leaving small scars where they have dug in I think a spray of some sorts may have better results...I just went out and bought some Antiscale..it's a concentrate so its diluted in 10ml per 2 litres so I bought a 1 litre spray bottle and will use 5ml mixed with water and spray a few of the cactus I have with a few scale on em and let you know how it goes.

post-4860-1240461747_thumb.jpg

scalespray.JPG

scalespray.JPG

Hunab Hu, that Chemspray Antiscale is a white oil with an added organophosphate insectiside. I'd try using straight white oil before spraying OP's around. Maldison is probably one of the safest OP's to use but its still toxic to some extent.

sethomopod, if you have other cacti that aren't infected with the scale it would be a good idea to isolate the infected plants or move them away a bit so it doesnt spread.

Nice thread, what the heck is white oil??

^^^^ youre a fucking funny cunt like PD...anyways hey Sethomopod can you re name your thread to be something like .."scale on my cactus ..what to use" it will make it easier to find in the search engine when others look for scale and what to do...just be nice is all...

okay carry on all you comedians.

H.

^^^^ youre a fucking funny cunt like PD...anyways hey Sethomopod can you re name your thread to be something like .."scale on my cactus ..what to use" it will make it easier to find in the search engine when others look for scale and what to do...just be nice is all...

okay carry on all you comedians.

H.

Can do Hunab.. Good idea..

very nice thread! B)

white oil:

take a little bit of olive oil, or i guess any oil (sunflower, peanut, etc.),

add water,

add minute ammount of dishwashing detergent,

mix all three virgorously, and a foamy thing white oil will be produced.

now if you combine all of what has been said, one might,

peel off most scale by scraping with the nail,

than treat only the affected area with white oil,

than use the tooth brush and scrub off all the scale.

make sure you get into every tiny crack (the inmature scale hides out there!!), and brush the scale off.

than wash whole cactus with handwarm water, and than keep checking on them every few day's.

most off us, would not use any chemical stuff on our cacti, it's just unethical, as you might end up eating it.

very nice thread! B)

white oil:

take a little bit of olive oil, or i guess any oil (sunflower, peanut, etc.),

add water,

add minute ammount of dishwashing detergent,

mix all three virgorously, and a foamy thing white oil will be produced.

now if you combine all of what has been said, one might,

peel off most scale by scraping with the nail,

than treat only the affected area with white oil,

than use the tooth brush and scrub off all the scale.

make sure you get into every tiny crack (the inmature scale hides out there!!), and brush the scale off.

than wash whole cactus with handwarm water, and than keep checking on them every few day's.

most off us, would not use any chemical stuff on our cacti, it's just unethical, as you might end up eating it.

Great advice Planthelper! thank you!

sethomopod, just out of interest there is a little big that lives in (and produces) each scale, that's it's home. some other basic facts about scale: ants move them around because they excrete sugar which the ants feed off so always watch out for ant activity. if you scrub them off, alive, ants might carry them back up.

i don't have many cactus or know the difference between PH's home made brew, but white oil that you buy is diluted petrolium, i'm sure there was a thread where people suspected it caused sun damage so maybe apply the white oil late in the afternoon just in case.

I was once told that white oil isn't great for cacti and succulents - something about it clogging up their stomatas....

I always initially opt for less toxic methods of pest control (soapy or methoey water), but if the bugs really go on a rampage I'll use Bugmaster (carbaryl) on ornamentals, it is like dropping a 50mt bomb on bugtown. It obliterates all the pests that cacti and succulents seems to be cursed by (i.e It kills anything with more than four legs) :-0, especially mealies. Excercise extreme caution when using any of the nasty chems though!! (Gloves, mask, goggles, etc)

Edited by Stitches

Just sprayed some white oil on a cactus that I have that has scale. I will report the effect I just got the cheap stuff from the $2 shop export quality in a can. I have the mixable stuff but I have too much study to stuff around with that.

post-1140-1240491771_thumb.jpg

White Oil! A natural pesticide!

:o LOL

Just remember with white oil it should be reapplied every seven to ten days until the scale is taken care of. One application isnt enough.

Ive never had a problem using the stuff, i mainly use it on my smaller ornamentals, never seem to get scale on the larger plants

Edited by PD.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I decided just to go at it with a toothbrush, hopefully not damaging the skin too much! I'm gonna try and only use chems as a last resort. And thanks Thunder for the tip about the ants carrying the little critters back up the cactus! I'll keep and eye out for that.

Hopefully all goes well, I guess I'll keep throwing up pics so people can see some sorta progress (success/failure). :wink:

p.s. sorry about the out of focus Peruviana

post-5455-1240640789_thumb.jpg

post-5455-1240640833_thumb.jpg

Edited by sethomopod