The Corroboree
ENtiTY

Ipomoea purpurea??

Question

Just wondering if this Ipomoea is purpurea. Its growing all through my yard :). The seeds from the pink flower are a creamy light tan colour while the seeds from the purple flower are black.

post-2785-1202278668_thumb.jpgpost-2785-1202278695_thumb.jpgpost-2785-1202278737_thumb.jpgpost-2785-1202278759_thumb.jpg

The purple flower is actually a deep irridescent purple if your standing in front of it and not looking at a picture. Camera made it look blueish. The leaves on the purple flower plant were heart shaped as well as that 3 point shape in pic2. Also the stems are slightly hairy changing to very hairy at new growth.

The purple flower looks like it has light eminating from its throat :P. Oh, and their not MJ leaves in the pink flower pic, just stinking ol roger :innocent_n: .

Re the seeds, just for the sake of knowing, what is considered a dosage for Ipomoea purpurea? No interest at all in sampling, just interested to know how potet these lil buggers are. I've done some research and its left me more confused, albiet a lil more enlightened, than before. Some sources state 400-600 seeds others 200 to 400 :scratchhead: . Fair variation there :blink: .

Thanx peeps

post-2785-1202278668_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1202278695_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1202278737_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1202278759_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1202278668_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1202278695_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1202278737_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1202278759_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

not sure the pigs hoove leaves are purpurea...the one with pink flowers are they all pink? could be a I.violacea

ipomoea hederacea for the purple one maybe.......hederacea,ivy leaved?

i have a very similar pink one but it has black seeds.......would like some of yours please?

t s t .

The pinks were growing with some purples but seemed to be a seperate plant. I was trying to determine that one myself, when I found the different coloured seeds I figured it had to be a seperate vine. Its as hard as buggery trying to track a fricken vine in scrub. Pics were taken in between down pours as well so everything was drenched. I'll have a better look tomorrow when/if things dry up a bit.

The other thing is that I couldn't find any ivy shaped leaves on the purple vine growing with the pink vine. The purple flower in the picture was taken at a seperate location to the pink vine.

I'll see if I can get some more seeds of the pink, couldn't spot any more ripe pods but I didn't get to far in there as it was wet.

The purple/blue one is I. indica. It's activity is unconfirmed to my knowledge.

Indica? I thought it didn't seed in Australia :scratchhead:

found a very dark pink ipomoea on a local fence,took some seed and grew it.

up came my black seeded pink,over 90% and only a few of the very dark pink.

assumed it was a hybrid reverting to original form.

the tri type leaf to the lower right of the top right pic,is that from the purple mg?

t s t .

T st, if you mean the pic with the purple flower in the top left corner and the 3 point leaf in the bottom right corner then yes tat is a leaf belonging to the vine that flower is on.

The pink flower vine has a purple flower vine growing with it. They entangle at a couple of points but after much rumaging through the scrub they appear to be two seprate plants. These two vines are growing in a shady, sheltered spot and have only the heart shaped leaf. The purple flower is identical to the one in the picture. I was thinking that only the plants growing in full sun get this 3 point leaf?

There aren't anymore ripe seed pods of that pink flower vine as yet but shall be soon enough. If you want T st I can send you some of the ones I have now, won't be many, but you won't need many seeing as its a weed :P.

A foaf has expressed interest in giving the possible 'indica' seeds a bio. Can any MG veteran recommend a seed count to start at? The foaf was thinking around 300 to 400 using an aqueous extract. Bear in mind that this foaf has no LSA experience or with anything else other than with cubes.

I've seen plenty of seeding I.indica and possible hybrids of that and I. cairica or something else around SEQ, esp in wetter steamier microclimates... should have between 3 and half a dozen big hairy seeds in papery brown pods when ripe. Leaf form is a bit like some hybridised passionfruit... big ovals or ducksfoot, varying from specimen to specimen and light/nutes etc.Plenty of bogans have tried eating them, most ended up with a severe case of the shits and thinking they were going to die. Taste testes indicate a lot of slippery bitterness, cyanogenic glycoside family of things usually does that on my tongue. I'll admit that a potted Poinsettia of mine once tried downing a few of em , crushed, after a lot of chewing... nothing noticeable but I think I might have pissed a lil more than usual lol. Might be some goodies in some local forms but I think it's at the more shit than sugar end of the Ipomea spectrum. I read something awhile back about the seed husk of HBWR... haven't explored that avenue with I.indica.

They're a very very invasive plant, sometimes theyll even drown out lantana scrub, which is no easy feat. Purdy though esp on overcast days when they seem to glow as if backlit.

VM

Edited by Vertmorpheus

The pods have 6 black seeds that look identical to the Heavenly Blue seeds I have here. The seeds are rough and have no hair on them at all.

Foaf says that he's going to do an aqueous extraction on 9grams of seed, which works out to be around 400 seeds, and see how things go.

yeah maybe suggest to ya foaf that he take a known MG seed and one of the unknown MG seeds, nibble crush n chew up just ONE of the knowns, give it a while to get over the taste, then try the unknown one... its amazing how well the tongue can spot differences in levels of compounds esp saponins and glycosides, etc.. course, if they taste almost exactly the same, that might tell em something too ;)

I suspect theres a fair bit of crossing goes on with these things, someone buys a nice one from a nursery then pinches cuttings from the scrub, etc.. woldnt the world be easier if everything came labelled? :P

Besta luck,

VM

Yeah foaf decided to air on the side of caution due to the known vasoconstrictory effects and started at 30 seeds, blended and soaked for 20 minutes in distilled water in the fridge. The mix was then filtered and then downed on an empty stomach. No real taste to the brew and some slight effects were noted. Sort of an intoxicated feel. Different but not different. Kinda hard to explain. Only really noticeable when moving i.e. turning your head or walking around. Lasted maybe an hour and a half or so.

Foaf will give a greater amount a crack a few days later.

is the common Ipomoea around Sydney all Indica?

here's a few pics from recent travels,

24104664591_4f28e43f92.jpg

24177155226_fa647a69de.jpg

24120087402_b74155c7c1.jpg