The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bloodbob

nutmeg mace dosage

you're talking about raw mace?

it's conservative - but start with 250mg : )

assess side affects and work up from there

Edited by coin

you're talking about raw mace?

it's conservative - but start with 250mg : )

assess side affects and work up from there

Hrmm, I've searched the forums for the same question (albeit slightly different) but it's so convaluted with chemical compositions, off topic leadings and overall vagueness that I was going to start a new topic, but found this one and thought I'd just append my Q to it.

What would be the best method for obtaining an effect from either the Nutmeg Resin Extract or Mace Essential Oil's as sold in the SAB Shop?

I've read as much google as I can take without turning into a chef, starting a fragrance shop or wanting to blow up google (read as - useless info for the most, and unhelpfull info where anything was found).

From the searches here, a lot of information relates to the dried powered nutmeg itself, and not the products in the shop. I know there was talk of rubbing the oils into a muscle group and then excercising these muscles, if i read that properly - which is often not the case ;) - but Im wondering if anyone has any history of the products here and how they used it?

Do you add it to an oil burner and just enjoy the fragrance, mix it with an inactive herb and smoke it, combine it with a beverage and drink it, gulp the stuff down and wait, plug it (ouch), ingest it sublingually, rub it on your favourite muscle (ahem) and excercise vigorously or contemplate the products and meditate on it?!?! ;)

Just looking for some info that so far I've not been able to find using the search engine specific to these products.

B)

Oh HYPOTHETICALLY of choarse.. If one were to do this.. 8]

Edited by badwolf

There's a few decent threads on this, but the between the lines nature may baffle... also, it's hardly a "conventional" thing, despite being quite worthwhile in some peoples books... maybe half the magic, but many, many times less karma! So "take this amount and it will ahve this effect" content will always be slim.

Starters, NOT for pregnant ppl, anyone wanting to be pregnant, anyone already experiencing very heavy flows, etc (I know most ppl here own a pair of testies, but it's pretty important to chuck that in). In the west indies etc, raw mace fruit is eaten as a psychosnack, but generally accepted that baby on board ppl should not indulge. Not that it makes an "efficient" abortificant, you're just as likely to end up wit ha very very high needs child.

Personally, maniacs I know typically start at a quarter of a whole aril / a healthy pinch of nice waxy powdered stuff.If it doesn't clump in the bag before being opened, powder that is, it's usually shite. Nutmeg doesn't get a look in too often as its very lil up for its amount of down, mace is the stuff. Oil is harder to find, and newer gen nutmeg essential oils seem to have the top taken off em leaving just spice and warmth but no sparkle. Bastardos! You can get mace oils, good ones are usually priced as such but then, even the exxey stuff is definite value for money. (dont forget it does also smell great, can be used in cooking, brewing, air fresheners, etc).

Try googling ahimsa oils.... good stuff, though some lines have slipped in the last few batches (they seem to do their best but as they say, what happens upstream is hard for them to keep on top of).

Oil wise, for either, half half with a light carrier.... rub a "sorry it came out a bit fast" amount onto your calves... take a brisk run around the yard a few times, apply it, give it 10 minutes and a few big glasses of water later, take a walk around the block until you notice the difference.

Smoking mace (cheap supermarket bagwise, Maharajahs Choice is pretty good, not superfresh but pretty good) is interesting... some like it, some don't. It does contribute a nice waxy-soapy-mediciney edge to smoking blends, and a sparkle all its own... probably not very good for you, somehow. The blue bagged herb stuff (cant remembe the name, packed in toowoomba, about 3 bucks for 50gs at most shops) was very, very, very nice but I can't find it anymore.

I find half a 0 cap of good mace powder (even the "shabby" stuff is all of 70 cents for 5gs) adds and interesting edge but needs directing, otherwise it can become a generalised agitation thing... nice, but pay attention or it can be missed. A full cap (around a g, from my understanding) can be very profound esp with a nice long walk to start the evening.

Lovely before bedtime ;) Apparently very tasty too.

GOOD mace arils (the closer to whole youu find them, the better they tend to be, as a rough rule) are lovely, tonguenumbingly delicious to nibble... I find an 8th of one of those chewed not swallowed (spicalicious!) an interesting side serving with a nice cup of tea or coffee.... a quarter to a half in a cup of special cocoa is nice too.

In foods, I have no idea how heat etc would interact with things... I guess you could make some Protest People (like gingerbread men, but with more mace) and keep cook temps superlow and lots of fats, etc. It is used in a lot of foods, jamaica and of all places pioneer american cooking (around Shenandoah, etc) used a LOT of it. But then they liked their sassafrass tea and otherwise seem to have lived off apple-butter and schnapps, so gods bless em.

There is a KICKARSE jamaican choccy cake recipe around (maybe at recipesource.com?), loaded with goodies, if the ingredients list is about a page long its the right one. There is also a three ingredient fruit cake you can make with just sr flour, orange juice and mixed fruit... tasty holds together well, crying out for a huge spoon of something in it though.

Like anything, the higher you want to get the harder it might hurt if you fall over... but its nice for low level walks in the park, love, and other indoor sports. To be safe, I'd probably avoid alcohol and other liver-heavy things before, during and a lil after. It's all a bit debatable from what I can work out, but you only get the one liver, you might as well be nice to it.

I'd like some native nutmeg skins, keeping eyes peeled in them thar hills but no joy yet. Apparently the inside is lousey for anything (insipida for a reason) but the mace is meant to be tasty.

Run all that thru your critical whatnots, works for me, you might poo out your liver, or end up joining the liberal party :P

Never bought the stuff from SAB (arils that is) but they seem to travel well in general, youd almost have to go out of your way to find bad ones around here it seems... maybe try your local pacific/indian/asian grocery place too, for bulk lots. The only "bad" ones seem to be ones in lil bags in fruit shops etc, where htey have the spice rack facing the sun in the window :rolleyes: I'm sure T made some fruit cake with em before having em loaded into those groovy lil jars, anyway.

edity... if the nutmeg xt is any good, and T doesn't get to go to herbal heaven if it's not, so it would be, I'd probably start off with a lump the size of a matchead on a pipe of neutral plant matter, and pay a lot of attention. mace, nutmeg, galangal all seem pretty nice when smoked at very low levels, too much and youg et overwhelmed with soap taste but a lil in a blend makes for avery nice hash edge on the exhalation... lovely ;). Can't recommend what to ingest of em, as theyre probably just for incense purposes anyway... its a lovely xmassy scent though better suited to about July, here.

nutha edity bit... some ppl report nutmeg to be more stoning and less uplifting than mace, which can be much more clear, sharp and organised. Probably varies with livers, though.

VM

Edited by Vertmorpheus

Picture of Nutmeg fruit w/ seed

So the "Mace" is the plupy fruit part? And the "Nutmeg" is the seed, right?

Why is Pepperspray sometimes called "Mace"? Pepperspray is based of Capsicum I thought... being you know... "Pepper-spray".

So the "Mace" is the plupy fruit part?

Mace is that bright red webbing that covers the seed. It dries to a caramel brown.

The off-white stuff would be the 'pulp'.

And the "Nutmeg" is the seed, right?

Yes, the nutmeg is the dark brown kernel.

Why is Pepperspray sometimes called "Mace"? Pepperspray is based of Capsicum I thought... being you know... "Pepper-spray".

That's correct. I've wondered about this too. Anyone know? Maybe something to do with that nasty medieval weapon?

isn't "Mace" an old brand name of spray?

which can be much more clear, sharp and organised.

Have tried nutmeg, but never mace. Around 10g of supermarket nutmeg to try it out after hearing rumours about it.

Tried it a few times, always worked, rank as to swallow.

Took a fairly moderate time to kick in most times, and lasted a long time, but like VM said, it is pretty stoning. But in a wierd sort of way.

Always left me feeling pretty rotten the next day, and took a few days to be totally recovered, nothing serious but just a slightly altered state.

Used to go well with drinking, really ended up being in a state of mild delerium (not sure if that's the right description but it seems about right.)

Like VM says though, probably not the best combo for the liver.

Peace,

Mind

try googling "mace pepper spray history" teotz.

FTR, mace is the wasxy web under the fleshy outer "fruit' part of the nutmeg fruit, nutmeg is made from the seed in the middle. The fruit on the outside, ppls just eat it.

Mace has a sharper, higher scent wheras nutmeg is more earthy and rich.

VM

Edited by Vertmorpheus

maoi's will potentiate the effects of nutmeg, but be extreemly carefull if you want to try this avenue.

some people respond a lot to those combos others far less.

just had an idea, maybe having some caapi or peganum, and than trying the "rub in oil on calves" methode could be interressting. same with sass oil!

Sassafras oil contains a very high amount of safrole (85%+), and as such, is often watched. Many years ago I bought a quart and mixed a bit with other herbs for a smoking blend. It worked quite well, but due to the suspected carcinogenic issues, I can't recommend it.

About the carcinogenicity: Sasha Shulgin says that because of the way animals metabolize things in their livers (I forget which animal was used for the testing) they are susceptable, but not humans. We use a different metaboplic pathway, which does not break down the oil into carcinogenic components.

250mg? I think the maximum amount of oils in mace is 14% compared to 15% in nutmeg so I think that's a little off.

That's correct. I've wondered about this too. Anyone know? Maybe something to do with that nasty medieval weapon?

Mace is chloroacetophenone, a synthetic lachrymator 'tear gas' chemical weapon. Pepper spray is, indeed, capsicum resin.

Mace is called mace because the original chemical weapon marketed as 'mace' was actually methylchloroacetophenone.. MethylchloroACEtophenone

Mace is called mace because the original chemical weapon marketed as 'mace' was actually methylchloroacetophenone.. MethylchloroACEtophenone

thanks!