The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Legba

Speeding is essential, say bikers

Source

RIDING at double the speed limit, "bending" road rules and "pushing the limits" are just part of riding safely, according to many Australian motorcyclists.

An investigation into the behaviour of riders has revealed a belief among many motorcyclists that breaking the law was actually safer than abiding by road rules.

According to the study by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), “some riders considered (bending the road rules was) an essential part of maintaining their safety”.

“The concept of pushing one’s limits on the motorcycle was a common theme in the discussions and appeared to be considered a normal part of riding behaviour,” the ATSB report said.

Stunts not uncommon

The report said that while young men were more likely to admit to performing “stunts”, there was no clear demographic for riding at high speeds.

“Both males and females, older and younger, appeared to enjoy riding fast,” it said.

“Most riders interviewed did not appear to regard riding at very high speeds - (for example) more than double the speed limit - as intrinsically unsafe.

“The general consensus seemed to be that safe high-speed riding involved planning the time and place so as to minimise risk.”

Skilled riders "overconfident"

The ATSB said a better rider training program was needed to reduce “risky” riding behaviours, but it admitted that there could be some consequences to providing more skills to riders.

“It is possible that rider training may cause some riders to become overconfident in their abilities, resulting in a discrepancy between their perceived and actual limits.

“Therefore, rider training initiatives which improve a rider’s skill may benefit from the addition of a personal education component which provides riders with higher-order planning, cognitive, and self monitoring skills.”

The Psychological and Social Factors Influencing Motorcycle Rider Intentions and Behaviour report also recommended that more be done to change the attitudes of motorcyclists.

'Speed Kills' Frank Zappa

He also thinks hes guitar is trying to kill yo mama :P

but seriously...damn bikers! cluttering up our streets and polluting the air, not to mention all the multiple fatalities they claim on the road!

comeon...really?

its true!!!!

you speed to get in front of idoits that either cant read road signs or simply have poor observational skills while driving.

personally they should be encuraging people to ride seen as they have smaller engines use less fuel, create far less carbon emmisions.

i mean whats the point of having a 5,6,7 litre v8 when you gecan burn most v8's with somthing as small as a 2 stoke 250. or a 600, 750 4 stroke?

i'd rathe have the option of jumping off a bike rather than hit another car in a frigging tin coffin.

conan 80% of the fatalities from motorcycles are intalialy caused from car drivers. if you have to go to court with a motorcyclist better have a wittness, becuase most veiws in court are for the motorcyclist.

people get in there rolling lounge suite, turn up the music and fucking switch off to concentrate on driving.

Edited by jasemateau

people get in there rolling lounge suite, turn up the music and fucking switch off to concentrate on driving.

Aye I have a feeling that whenever on a ike more attention is Demanded just due to the exposure, you're outside the thing! Also agree that bikes are much better on the environment unless everybody carpools all the time maybe.

Yeah I have to agree to a certain degree, well not pushing limits around corners and such but to keep away from drivers. Too many times I've had some idiot tailgating me on my bike and I have to break the law to feel safe..

I think that the increase in deaths on our roads is mainly driven by rising fuel costs, many families would be struggling to make ends meet so mum or dad who probably used to ride back in the day hops on a newer faster bike that they are not used too, and also having more motorist on the road..