The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
trucha

Knize pics

Knize emailed me this photo page last year.

Its copyrighted but he granted me permission to reproduce it.

Please compare to what is at his website.

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/gallery...Trichs_2004.jpg

For anyone who wonder this is Karel Knize fom about 20 years ago. (From the back cover of his 1982 catalog)

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/gallery...pics/KK1982.jpg

242 is just a vauge collection number for a location, not even a species.

Then again I sure would like one of each.

[ 27. July 2005, 22:15: Message edited by: Archaea ]

Did Knize made this overview? A lot of them look not how they supposed to. But apart from the mislabeling, all look Great. It seems to be very exciting to order plants from Knize. You never know in Advance what you get. I seriously think about making an order there. If it wouldn´t be so expensive...Has someone made experiences with larger orders?

I hear its about $1000 for an order,

I am considering going in with a friend on one.

Yeah, as there aren´t any cactophiles around here,so i´ll have to carry the 1000$ on my own.

what concerns me is that the plants will be shipped to my nearest airport. I don´t know how that works as i didn´t ordered plants in such quantities before. I hope you only need one Cites/Phytosanitary Certificate for the whole shipment. Otherwise this would be very expensive. At what time in year is Knize selling his Cuttings? I only found a plant and a seedlist on his website.

The only advice I have for dealing with Knize is to spend at least a thousand dollars with him and make him think you will want to buy more. This will get a great assortment of plants. Largely unlableled.

Assuming he does not drop dead or something of course.

He claims 200 is the minimum order at his website but its not suggested to try this.

Send him an email and ask for his Trichocereus cuttings list.

Also if you want to stay sane in dealing with him: be patient and prepared to willingly ACCEPT such things as being double billed for freight, for CITES documents and more asorted nonsense. It works out OK in the long run MOST times. He usually includes more than you actually order but its definitely a grab-bag situation (he says there is something like 60 cv forms of peruvianus or something- I forget the exact number right off). All bets are off for small orders.

I have a couple of horror stories dealing with him where only luck made it work but am glad that I did. I suspect had I spent more money with him it would have gone better.

I feel that I got a fair price for the cactus received despite all of the hidden costs, assorted aggravation and the approx. one year delivery time.

It was Knize who sent me the composite page of photos and text. I did not edit it at all.

I don't know who did his website (I would hope Knize knows what is on it) but if you notice on the page I posted here there is the one picture that is shown twice.

He does not respond well to me. Small wonder of course.

[ 28. July 2005, 07:57: Message edited by: trout ]

TN 3rd edition part B note #76...

But he is in the list of people you thank and/or give credit to.

Now that you mention it 340 and 338 on that page look identical, as in the same picture made to look different.

Oh wait you were talking about 1688 and 1911, but 338 is a close up and wider version of the picture 340. Even the smudges on the glaucous bloom are identical in shape as is the triangular scar tissue on the lower right!

[ 28. July 2005, 06:28: Message edited by: Archaea ]

I'm thankful Knize is there despite how much confusion might come with him.

He is seemingly nuts to deal with but successfully ships live cacti worldwide.

For one reason other than having such a nice selection in potential:

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/gallery...K339_column.JPG

This is NOT Backeberg's clone.

This is pachanoi KK339 or some version thereof sourced from Knize as a cutting. The hand is in the background for scale.

Having more genetic diversity of good forms is a great idea. Even if the collection data possibly sucks.

Icaro's Matucana peruvianus seeds are another awesome introduction.

A problem with 340 and 338 being declared the same plant is so many of Knize's plants look like this. (And neither one looks like the seed grown material of either KK number)

Some of these generic looking pachanoids seem different if side by side but often those differences would be hard to define except in trivial terms such as shape of the mark above the areole.

Of course KK340 is also Knize's number for cuzcoensis..

Only one CITES certificate is needed per order but I found I had to pay for it again in order to claim the shipment AND he sent it freight on receipt despite billing me for the freight. Plus he shipped to someone OTHER than me meaning I had to pay for it to be shipped from them to me (or drive 5 hours one way) on top of the the rest. Some semblence of my order did in fact finally arrive though.

All I am saying is expect the worse and you will probably be pleased with what you get in the end. Expect to deal with a normal situation and you will become quite stressed.

He will take orders anytime but shipped to me in August and in October.

[ 28. July 2005, 08:05: Message edited by: trout ]

In the photos they are identical plants, only the one is a modified photograph of the other. In fact between 338 and 340 there is only one photograph involved. I can make one photograph from the other using a photoprogram like Gimp.

That 339 looks good.

I only have 10 Icaro seeds (not from Icaro) but I do have plenty of seed of the Los Genteles peruvianus, this is supposed to be a line cultivated for 3,800 years.

I know what you are saying though about pachanoid look alikes. And I am down to buy some cuttings and seed from the fellow.

[ 28. July 2005, 08:11: Message edited by: Archaea ]

You're probably right. Knize is a trip.

For the hell of it I did it.

I wish I had had a more high resolution photo to begin with as one is a little blurry.

Silly Knize, I wonder if he put together that photopage himself?

gallery_931_35_4358.jpg

See that little triangular scar on the lower right? And where the blue is worn from being held?

[ 28. July 2005, 08:26: Message edited by: Archaea ]

Haha, nice work Archaea. Stupid Knize. :rolleyes:

plug plug

I brought in heap of Icaros seed

check out my webstore

plug plug

easier than importing yourself anyway and available in small quantities 25+ seed

Thanks for your informations. The things you told are a good and worthy help when dealing with knize.Now I know in advance what i have to expect. I expected that orders below 1000$ are not getting handeled reliably. Until the next shipping dates of Knize, there´s enough time to lay aside some money. Nevertheless it´s a lot of money you have to spend at once.But I´m very curious what i´ll get then.I feel almost like a child in the candystore. I hope he doesn´t go out of business this year :)

[ 28. July 2005, 21:16: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]