The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
holymountain

Acacia? Id please

hi everyone

someone told me once to look for acacia's that have brown tips on their leaves. went for a walk the other day and found what i think is an acacia. have included some phots some have flash so might be a bit bright. not sure myself as i'm completely new to identifying acacias. any help would be much appreciated as usual.

SL372352.jpg

SL372357-1.jpg

SL372359.jpg

Hey, definately not an acacia...the flowers are not furry balls, spikes or rods. Looks to me like a Hakea species...

Hope this helps

Just checked out Hakeas on the web...looks like the specimen in your photos is Hakea salicifolia (willow-leaved hakea)...flowers in spring and has pale white flowers which form in dense clusters. Come to think of it I have a young shrub of this species growing in my garden which has brown/red tipped new growth...

A good book i would reccomend to you would be: Native Plants of the Sydney District- Fairley A. & Moore P. 1995 Kangaroo Press

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Native-Plants-Sydn...n/dp/0864172613

I can't find it available on amazon in Australia, but a lot of bookstores will order it for you. A lot of librarys in the region have copies too. There is a paperback as well as hardcover.

It is thorough, and explains the basic keys neccesary when identifying a plant right up to detailed descriptions and keys for accurate ID.

A must for bush regenerators and serious native ID'ists.

it doesnt look anything like acacia obtusifolia

From the flowers, it's looks like a Hakea, or (less likely) a Grevillea. Definitely not an Acacia.