The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Looking for unusual ornamnetals

Ive been doing some work for a local organisation and we are looking for unusual plants to spice up the selection

some are not uncommon in metropolitan parts of australia

while others im not sure if they are in australia at all

this is an opportunity to find local plants in parks and gardens and swap with me for other stuff. i can pay postage but the budget given to me is so small (Thanks johnny) that i can spend anymore than postage really

but we already have some planst and can do any trades i need to. ill put a stocklist on my blog once its done

Ive found a good looking place for carnivorous plants

http://www.triffidpark.com.au/

now looking for the range of butterfly ginger lillies -Hedychium

http://arboretum.sfasu.edu/gaylilies/hedychium/index.htm

Wandjina is kind enough to send me some Albizzia

Has anyone seen the Canna hybrid "african sunset" about?

canna_phaison.jpg

more to come...

Edited by Rev

I could probably send you a few cuts of Perilla magilla if purple is your thing.

thatd be sweet!

so how does it ovewinter?

round here the frost come in winter but its suprising what gets frosted back and comes back in spring

or just gets away from it by canopy cover

for example - bromeliads

we maust have accumulated 2 dozen types in a few weeks from community donations

and there are many more around here in spite of the frost

theres also some really spectacular and unusual hibiscus - which ive been hyrbidising myself now as well.

some photos of plants ive collected and propagated for them

oldies but goodies

post-11-1143181595_thumb.jpg

Canna hybrid

post-11-1143181524_thumb.jpg

Hippeastrum

post-11-1143181393_thumb.jpg

Ipomoea carnea

post-11-1143182315_thumb.jpg

White crocus

post-11-1143181337_thumb.jpg

Hibiscus syriacus hybrid

post-11-1143181259_thumb.jpg

Cats whiskers

post-11-1143181471_thumb.jpg

Belamcanda sinensis

post-11-1143182424_thumb.jpg

Various bromeliads

post-11-1143182479_thumb.jpg

Spider lilly

For the last few years ive concentrated on whats on the insides of plants

but im regaining an appreciation of how they look on the outside and the stimulating visual environmnet they create

Cats_whiskers.jpg

double_hibiscus_front.jpg

ipomoea_carnea.jpg

Pink_belamcanda.jpg

Hippeastrum.jpg

february06_002.jpg

zephyranthes.jpg

pink_brom.jpg

spider_lilly.jpg

Cats_whiskers.jpg

double_hibiscus_front.jpg

ipomoea_carnea.jpg

Pink_belamcanda.jpg

Hippeastrum.jpg

february06_002.jpg

zephyranthes.jpg

pink_brom.jpg

spider_lilly.jpg

Edited by Rev

I reckon it'd be fine.

The things look like they'd root in a bucket of gravel and all that entails.

It seems pretty hardy in all respects, except if you let it dry out too much it won't die, but it loses its other nice colours (white, green, different shades of purple) and basically only stays purple until you prune it back or something. It's a weird plant :P

PM me your postage addy. :)

unusual plants, hey?

i checked my local nursery today and they have a canna which looks very much like the african sunset, i will buy one next time around.

other unusuals plants:

kalanchoe spp, the one with the gigantic leaves.

heliconia spp.

doriantes excelsa (native!!)

musa ensete.

maybe more will come to mind later...

Edited by planthelper

kalanchoe spp, the one with the gigantic leaves.

got access to that one too

post-11-1143275796_thumb.jpg

that doryanthes excelsa looks great. anyone know where to get seed/small plants?

or D palmerii?

Musa ensete looks great - but how to get seeds or rhizomes? (remembering im doing this on the cheap or free)

can seed be collected from public plantings anywhere in Bris?

I just got a large head chockers with Strelitzia nicolae seeds

also

Has anyone propagated mandevillas before? any tips?

kalanchoe.jpg

kalanchoe.jpg

Edited by Rev

Sorry to hijack but does anyone what exactly this one is..

post-710-1143277361_thumb.jpg

Musa ensette ( or Ensette ventricosum) normally from seed - I've not seen them sucker - Try Adelaide Bot. Gardens or Perth Zoo if you have a friend check for you. . Nth NSW and S.E.Qld a bit tricky with restrictions on cultivation of ornamental bananas and relatives.It doesn't seem too heavily policed although ten years ago I had some M.textilis destroyed by banana inpectors 'cause they couldn't I.D it. Mandevilla laxa -seeds or cuttings ; M.amabilis'Alice Du Pont'- cuttings ; Dipladenia cvs. Red riding hood etc. -semi hard cuttings all benefit from bottom heat under glass but not essential. IBA and NAA also help. Hey I remember seeing Ensette in flower last year at the entrance to Suffolk Park Caravan Park maybe there's fruit , I'll check next time I'm over that way.

Ensete ventricosa only propagates from seed. It is NOT a Musa. The cheapest I've seen a plant was few months old seedlings for about $20. Usually they are well over $50. My first plant cost me $200.

Prices will come down though as there are more fruting generations.

They grow for 7-12 years and then flower and fruit, followed by collapsing in a pile of rotting stinking compost. A large plant can be as big as 12m, but I have seen one flower in a large pot after 6 years and only 2m. The 12m plants could crush a roof when they collapse, so caution is advised when planting them.

Gecko, if you saw a plant flower last year then it would be dead now.

We've got a few plants for sale, ranging from 6 months to 4 years old and ranging from $20 to $120. We don't mind if we don't sell them, as the seed is worth a lot more and ensures a better distribution.

I might have to get a cheapy or 2 off you then T as the $20 or a bit over mark is ok

i like the idea of them as visual impact in a nursery.

Like the sarracenia, like stage and elks, like batplant etc they would be strategically placed

for ambience - but also for sale

Its a cooperative arrangemnet. The organisation is charitable and has good community support

i get a retainer but theres fringe benefits.

The community has been quite forthcoming with botanical materials, i have donated bits of nearly everything in my garden too so the selection is getting quite good and space limited

i do a lot of driving around off my own back but i also get the kickbacks of increasing my own collection in the process

and through this so can you

though not strictly ethnobotanical theres some funky plants out there to give a home to

so if you are out and about keep youre eyes peeled because you can find opportunities in the most unexpected places because while you cant leave a bag of shopping unattended or worry of thieves

the most valuable plants set seed or suckers only to rot on the ground or be crowded out

people are botanically blind to opportunity

ive found motherlodes several times and in some cases the benefits have been substantial

so... keep looking and when u find something take advantage of it - and email me cos ill trade you for a portion to use here