The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
_e_

Australian import laws, Swedish import laws???

Well ive been doing a bit of research on the net and im having trouble finding the legislation relevant to importing smoking paraphernalia and ayurvedic medicine into australia from india, and moreso the importation of ANYTHING into Sweden..

The best i came up with was the aqis icon databse which isnt exactly user friendly and makes it a bit difficult as much of the ayurvedic medicine has traditional plant/content names and most preperations have PLENTY of different ingredients..

I also cant seem to find pages relevent to whether smoking paraphenalia can be imported as smokign paraphenalia or whether chillums and water pipes classify as 'drug paraphernalia', and also, which states are more kosha to import to, as from memory paraphernalia laws vary state to state...

The swedish side of things is even mroe difficult, i want to know if i can import mhrb and such things to sweden, and if so, what about cacti from peru? e.t.c....

My partner seems to think that sweden is very relaxed and i even remember Torsten mentioning something about analogue laws being minimal to non existant... so if anyone has any good links or personal insight please share... We are going to BOOM this year and id like to make it a special one.

Guest Mexicali

Aloe,

I have family in Sweden and know some things about their laws...they are stricter than ours!

So let's just leave it at that, without discussion on their government :wink:

Importing the paraphernalia you mentioned into Australia is complicated:

Wood products (chillums) need be declared and go to post-entry quarantine. If you decide to do it, declare it as a DECORATIVE FIGURINE, not as a chillum! ^_^

As far as glass pipes go, they are illegal in Australia, so just leave it alone.

Question: Why import INTO Australia when you can buy all these things IN Australia?

chillums are made of clay, and of course i would declare them as ornamental.

Glass pipes are sold EVERYWHERE quite openly, and mostly as 'tobacco' or 'herb' pipes... so no i dont think they are illegal. And i intended to say they were ornamental as well if need be.

Also the reason i want to import is because i have a number of friends running stalls who have asked me to get bulk pipes for them as india is the place to get them cheaply, and the craft is quite superb if you find the right people.

And my partner is swedish too, but her perspective and experience may differ to yours, she says they are harsh on many things yes, but totally naieve or unaware of others... im looking to play with the 'others' category, thus need to gauge what exactly it comprises.

thanx for the input

The best i came up with was the aqis icon databse which isnt exactly user friendly and makes it a bit difficult as much of the ayurvedic medicine has traditional plant/content names and most preperations have PLENTY of different ingredients..

With any import yuo have to consider 3 levels of authorities - independently!!

First quarantine, then customs, then state legislation (mostly drug laws, but also some dept of health laws).

With herbal medicines you will have to provide the botanical name of all ingredients. This might sounds ridiculous, but keep in mind that for example a piece of Solanum somethingorother herb in that preparation could carry a virus that could wipe out the tomato, tobacco and capsicum industry as well as affect native species.

Customs usually doesn't have much to do with ayurvedic medicines unless they contain one of the customs prohibited drugs.

Dept of health of that state may also have restrictions on some medicines/herbs.

I also cant seem to find pages relevent to whether smoking paraphenalia can be imported as smokign paraphenalia or whether chillums and water pipes classify as 'drug paraphernalia', and also, which states are more kosha to import to, as from memory paraphernalia laws vary state to state...

I don't think this is a customs issue as drug paraphernalia is state law. However, be aware that state law are technically much stricter than what most believe them to be. For example, in NSW it is still illegal to possess a bong! Police have discretionary powers I believe, but these ared esigned for reducing paperwork in regards to individual offenders. Importing a whole heap of stuff may well cause you problems.

The swedish side of things is even mroe difficult, i want to know if i can import mhrb and such things to sweden, and if so, what about cacti from peru? e.t.c....

Sweden has some of the most stringent drug laws in the world!!!! I mean, they are the ones who passed the anti-euphoria law (and I am not talking about the drug itself). But for some curious reason they don't have an analogs clause. This doesn't hel much though as their drug laws are pretty comprehensive and judges have been known to jail offenders for possession of substances even though these substances were not actually scheduled. if the judge is satisfied that a substance is substantially similar in structure and effect then he can sentence on that basis. In effect it has put the analogs clause into the discretion of the judiciary.

We are going to BOOM this year and id like to make it a special one.

Sweden has some extra special sentencing laws. Longer than any other european state. But worse is that they actually apply them regularly.

mm looks like we will have to take a drive to a more 'comfortable' european country/neighbour in order to prepare for boom... maybe norway, or even portugal itself...

hey T ud be able to hook me up with some good contacts in germany right? and it is 'the home of ethnobotany' according to christian raetsch...

Was thinking that the chillums/glass pipes e.t.c would need to be imported to victoria as i understand nsw is a no no... maybe south aus would be even safer....

Its juct that i know of many apothecaries/smoke shops and even corner stores that stock the glass pipes from india and themark ups are usually ridiculous (except in a coupel of places i know of where u can get them for as cheap as $15)... quite a few friends want them for their stalls and chillums are a rare commodity in australia (at least good ones anyway).

As for the ayurvedic medicine, im getting in touch with the ayurvedic medicine council of australia (not that name but something close to it) as they are constantly importing stuff from india and maybe i can chuck mine in with one of their shipments.

cheers for the info T.. and the warning

mm looks like we will have to take a drive to a more 'comfortable' european country/neighbour in order to prepare for boom... maybe norway, or even portugal itself...

Just don't go to denmark!

hey T ud be able to hook me up with some good contacts in germany right? and it is 'the home of ethnobotany' according to christian raetsch...

I only know the ethnobotanical herb trade there and that is VERY restricted. Your best bet is holland.

I have a cousin in Amsterdam, he may be able to help! certainly show you around a bit!!, theres much better places to go than amsterdam, some of the beach towns are really laid back, and you don't have to experience the red light sess pit, unless you wan't 2 :saufen2: