The Corroboree
teonanacatl

fluoro help

ok i set up my fluoros in a 2 tube fixture, and turned them on, about 20mins ago and now they are really hot, i anticipated some heat but this is more then that, it raised the temperature of a thermometer 30cm away from 35 to 50, is this wrong lol? the ballast is second hand so maybe i should chuckit.

i noticed in the fixture where you stick the pins of the tube in and turn there are a number of stops you can turn to and each has an image, is there one i should turn it to?

It could be a dud ballast.

You could try replacing it with an electronic ballast. They run much cooler than magnetic ballasts. Or, you could wire up the ballast remotely. Often doe on Aquariums.

it raised the temperature of a thermometer 30cm away from 35 to 50, is this wrong lol? the ballast is second hand so maybe i should chuckit.
Sounds reasonable to me considering your ambient is 35'C.... does the ballast buzz or smell?

i noticed in the fixture where you stick the pins of the tube in and turn there are a number of stops you can turn to and each has an image, is there one i should turn it to?

90' from where you slotted them in :wink:

haha yeah i figured i was over reacting, no smell, only a slight hum that can be heard when i stick me ear close. thanks anyway hahaha