The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MORG

Psychoactive honey

Here's something some of you might find interesting. Full-text paper attached.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR: JONATHAN OTT

TITLE: THE DELPHIC BEE: BEES AND TOXIC HONEYS AS POINTERS TO PSYCHOACTIVE AND OTHER MEDICINAL PLANTS

SOURCE: Economic Botany 52 no3 260-6 Jl/S '98

ABSTRACT

Herein a brief review, with 49 references, of the history and phytochemistry of toxic honeys, in which bees have sequestered plant secondary compounds naturally occurring in plant nectars (floral and extrafloral). It is hypothesized that such toxic honeys could have served as pointers to psychoactive and other medicinal plants for human beings exploring novel ecosystems, causing such plants to stand out, even against a background of extreme biodiversity. After reviewing various ethnomedicinal uses of toxic honeys, the author suggests that pre-Columbian Yucatecan Mayans intentionally produced a psychoactive honey from the shamanic inebriant Turbina corymbosa as a visionary substrate for manufacture of their ritual metheglin, balché.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this say about the stability of LSA? I don't know much about apiculture or mead production in pre-Columbian South America, but it seems the alkaloids have survived the process, something I didn't think likely from what I've learned. Interesting.

DelphicBee.htm

DelphicBee.htm

DelphicBee.htm

yeah,...cool article.... ha ha - first heard of honey from poisonus plants and also once heard of honey from daturas - he he he

There is some speak of lsa being produced by fungus? Honey would be a great place for fungus

Isn't honey actually quite sterile, and somewhat anti-biotic?

I don't think it would be a good fungus host, to be honest....

But I'm no expert. :wink:

you are correct i think benzito.

i heard thaht one of the best ways to store psychoactive mushrooms in damp, humid conditions is to store them in honey. honey wll prevent degredation by other types of fungi or bacteria and preserve sensitive psychoactive compounds within the mushrooms.

i dont think people do it much these days cause it gets messy. drying is much simpler. i think you need to get organic unprocessed hiney for it to work properly too.

Iwrote an article about it , to bad for you guys the site is in dutch. I think it would be very interesting to have a large greenhouse with only one species with psychoactive flowers and have bees in it :)

It is believed that the jews, when they walked through the deserts and God sent manna down to feed them - manna being believed to be psych. mushrooms - read the desciption of manna in the bible? - The jews preserved this manna - for future jews that they may still know GOD - in pots of honey and sealed up.

yea i've heard that one before, so I went to Exodus book ??:?? and realised that its a very plausible explanation, especially as some shroom experiences have a very spiritual feel to them.