The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mr toodly

Kratom seeds

I'm just wondering what to do with this clump of seedlings.

Someone mentioned (without seeing the photo) to wait till the stem hardens to seperate them but I think by then they may be giving each other some real trouble.

I should put a claim in to Fract about his over viable seeds..Ha! :blink:

And to think I still have 2 out of the 3 pods I got from him.

clumposmspeciosaseedlings2nw.jpg

Edited by Spliff

I just put them on the surface of the soil and sprinkled a little sand over them. Kept them damp with a sheet of plastic wrap over the top. Spliff, those more developed plant from the previous photo page one, how old are they? How much light are you giving them and how many hours a day? I separated my tiny seedlings right away but they don't seem to have grown any since so I may have done it too soon.

The 3 larger ones in that picture were placed on kitchen paper and germinated March 5th. They were just a few seeds in the bag that had fallen out of the pod so I did a quick test with them before opening any pods. After they germinated I put them in the clear plastic box and gave them about 10 hours of direct sunlight filtered through the box and then put a fluorescent over them for about another 7 or 8 hours at night.

Most of my seedlings began getting their second set of leaves yesterday. I'm afraid it's time to break out the fungicide also. I notice I am getting some green mold growth clearly obvious on the white perlite chunks.

shinerxx-kratomseedlings4.JPG

Edited by shiner

They look to be in great condition.

I don't think the perlite getting a little mildew on it is a problem as that isn't the dreaed damping off.

That said it is a sign that to excess water is lingering in the top soil.

Hi,

I have recently ordered some Kratom seed pods from Fract. Am crossing my fingers as to the

viability after being sent to New Zealand. Will post up reports once I have started trying to

germinate them. Heaps of good information in this thread.

Thanks.

They should be fine if they are from Fractamist as his seeds are in shells and not loose.

Mine were shipped to East Asia and they were very viable.

Edited by Spliff

Now here is an odd situation. My little kratoms all have round leaves and the ones in the pictures are pointed at the tips much like mature kratoms. Not only that but the leaves fold up at night and spread out during the day. I got the seeds from two different sources and they both look the same. I'm wondering what the deal is.

Stoney, did you get those seeds from Fract?

Do you mean that they only have two rounded leaves?

Mine all had rounded leaves until the second set appeared.

As for folding up at night, mine don't. Could that be something to do with humidity levels being low?

I got my seeds from fract and from another source. All seedlings appear to be the same. With a few exceptions, all have rounded leaves. I did notice a few that had pointed secondary leaves like the ones in the photos. The leaves do not come out in pairs, they come out one at a time. I see a couple plants that have formed branches. They close up at night and open during the day. Even the ones under 24/7 light do this. Humidity levels are very high here so I doubt that's it.

Has anyone else noticed this? It might be I have a different species but since I got them from the same source as others, that may not be it. Maybe they will all look the same after they get bigger. Something is very odd.

I'm starting to think I have two different species here. They may both be varieties of kratom or one may be something else altogether. I mixed the pots up from the different seeds but I have a separate batch of only Fract's seeds that should be coming up soon. The pods looked the same and the seeds looked the same. The ones that close up may have been the "mellow gold" plant that was around a while back or some other closely related plant that isn't kratom. The ones with the pointed leaves are developing more slowly than the ones that are round leaved and close up.

I'm just too lazy right now to jump through all the hoops to take and post a photo. I'm still working on my taxes and have a lot of other projects to do. I'll do it, I plan to take some photos and i'll figure out how to post them here probably this coming week.

Mmm- seed grown kratom. Now THAT'S extremely cool! Congratulations to all of you! :worship:

I also got kratom sprouts, i have so far 9 sprouts from 1 single seedpod. thanks for good info, followed advices and tek here and i now have kratom in my collection. awesome :)

I've come to the conclusion that the plants with round leaves which came up for me were actually weed seeds from the potting mix. They were the ones that folded up at night and grew very fast. I was fooled because they were so tiny at first, just like the real kratom. The seed leaves looked alike also. It was only after the later leaves came in and they started branching that I was sure they were false. I do have a few of what I believe are real kratoms but they are growing slowly and are pale.

I do have a few of what I believe are real kratoms but they are growing slowly and are pale.

I had that problem with the seed I raised for TC all those years ago. A few of them germinated pale and weak and never made it past that. Good luck Stoney!

Mmmm, pale seedlings?

Are you giving them extra light at night and do they get enough light in the day?

Mine are in a South facing window with direct sunlight on them for 4-5 hours a day and even after that it is bright. They get a lamp on them till about 2 am or until I crash out.

The only problems I have encountered with these seedlings are some of them have gone brown and withered away. I am not sure if this is damping off or too much light. I doubt it is damping off as I think that is a white fungus.

I managed to seperate that bunch of seeds.

largepot3fw.jpg

Not much growth but I think that is the temp which is around 15-20c right now.

Once we hit a constant 25c temp I think they will take off.

kratomseedling5as.jpg

This is a sick seedling which I have seen about 4 of up to now.

After this they just disappear completly.

Could this possibly be damping off or something else?

sickseedling7hw.jpg

Edited by Spliff

The kratom sprouts are green but not a rich deep green as I would like. They get light 24/7. I planted 72 seeds from Fract on april 8 and none have come up. I placed them on the surface of the soil in a seed starting tray with constant high humidity.

I thought I would post another updated picture here to add to the compendium of information on Kratom seed germination. I have a huge growing problem on my hands. I have to separate these seedlings ASAP. Some are getting their fourth set of leaves now and are getting the characteristic Kratom color and leaf shape. So far I have thought about scooping out the largest with a small teaspoon and replanting or scopping out the smallest and replanting or ditching the smallest altogether which I really do not wanna do. I really need some suggestions on how I can keep most of these buggers alive. I lost less than 5% of the ones I planted since germination.

The largest leaves are about the size of a USD quarter.

shinerxx-kratomseedlings5.JPG

Edited by shiner

Shiner, I used a pair of disposable chopstics that I shaved down to a small flat surface to insert under the soil and gently raise the seedlings. It was quite easy to seperate the roots without disturbing the soil around the main roots.

Might be a better idea than a spoon which may break many of the roots.

best if you allow your seedlings to get to 2 set stage before repotting. The stem should be slightly firm by then.

If the larger ones crowd the smaller ones, simply remove leaves from the large ones so that the little ones can catch up. Fertilise plenty so they do not need to compete.

Mmm, seems that Mitragyna Speciosa seeds retain their viability a little more than I thought.

Five days ago, I sowed the remaining pod of seeds I had which I received in February 3 months ago, I just looked and most of them have germinated.

Seeds germinating 3 months on.

seedsgerminating3monthslater6r.jpg

Seedling at 3 months. Roll on summer.

largeseedling8ci.jpg

Migod that is soooo sexy :worship:

Hey,

My 5 seed pods arrived from Fract about 13 days ago. The seeds were sprinkled on high-quality potting mix

inside plastic containers and have been misted daily with water and kept in a hot-water cupboard on cloudy days otherwise put outisde in the sun. The plastic conatiners are large and see through with clear tops. It has been about 12 days with no signs of germination. How long is the average germination time??

Cheers

About 10 days I think.

Although these seeds that just had plastic cover over them so they got light germinated in much less time even though they were older seeds.