The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DuG

amazing recivery

OK picture this. I went away for a 10 month holiday leaving all my little cactus under the care of my parents. I left them notes on how to look after them, but really thinking how can you stuff up looking after cactus?

Well I came back to find that all my cactus had shrivelled up. One container with 30+ loph babies completely dried out with no survivours. 2 other pots of lophs very dry and only half still alive. and all my potted trichs very thin. So i watered them all, and oh my god do those trichs now look better. overnight they drank up the water and look normal now. my little loph still look sad but are getting stronger by the day.

I guess what i am trying to say is that cactus are really tough...... pity about my other plants :(

i know just what you mean. im still nursing my lil ones since i went away for 2 weeks in xmas. the point is noone can love your plants like you do. next time i will have a timed watering system

I had a similar experience. I went on a 2 week vacation, instructing my supposedly competent and not half-retarded roomate on how to care for them. As in, dont water at all, just leave them be. Apparently he opened the closet door one day (yeah my collection was small at that time :) ) and when he shut it, he unplugged the light. So for 2 weeks my cacti were in complete darkness. When I came back, they had all grown about 2-3 inches of complete etoliation, and worse yet, the tips were COMPLETELY white. Not a single speck of green, just completely white. Luckily they didnt die like some of your seedlings did, but to this day that section on all of my cacti are very thin and weak. Ive had several snap at that point, which I have found allowed them to root quicker since it's so narrow

Like myname said, no one can love your plants like you do

You guys have got me all worried now, I've left my plants with my mum as I'm currently just staying with some friends looking for a new place. I'd better go check on my babies this weekend.

Yeah no one looks after your plants like you do. sit and talk to mine almost every day.

Mine are starting to grow again. its great seeing fresh growth at the tips

Sorry to hear about your plants DuG.

I've had my plants mistreated while on holiday too. I find it upsetting and annoying that the people you ask to do a simple task like water a plant every two days or so can lack the ability to understand how much these plants mean to you just becuase they don't mean anything to them. Hence why some of my plants and pots have been whipper snippered like a weed. :uzi:

Edited by Qhorakuna tantani