The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
cisumevil

What is Eileen?

Hi Everyone / Ed :)

Just wondering if anyone can clear things up for me!

What is Eileen? What kind of Trich?

Thanks

and id like to add a question, where can i get a cutting of her?

many thanks :D

Guest Mexicali

:)

Trichos are MALE ^_^

Nomenclature:

Everything ending in -us is male

Everything ending in -a is female

Everything ending in -um is neutral

:wink:

In other words, Eileen is a transvestite B)

Well, I must admit, I didnt know that, thanks Mex. Ill stop calling my trich's girly names now, maybe thats why a couple of them are so unhappy with me.. LOL

lol i never realised taxonomists took it upon them selves to not only attempt to divide and redivide and move plant species by physical traits into groups which may or may not make any logical sense but increase their ego and standing in the botanical world but that they also defined the plants as male or female. Its funny that youmention it though as some trich species then make no gender sense:

Trichocereus arboricola.

ive seen lophs sold as Lophophorus before aswell.

as far as im concerned itsa trivial matter as most people when theyget to know their plants find either male or female properties, i have cacti which i would call maleish, in fact i find sexuality canchange for me.

as you can see im really just procrastinating about study so feel free to dismis my comments soas to give me nothing to replyto later on tonite when kinetics is calling:)

Nomenclature:

Everything ending in -us is male

Everything ending in -a is female

Everything ending in -um is neutral

Sort of like, penis (gots the right sound I think), vagina, and rectum?

:D

~Michael~

What about indica and sativa, just two species I know of that that defy that rule. A male sativus or a hermaphrodite sativum?????

I rekon many botanical names r designed to confuse rather than define.

Did you konw taht it deons't mttaer wihch odrer the leettrs in a setnnace r, as lnog as the frist and lsat leettrs are in the corerct palce, Tihs is beuacse our birans dno't raed wrods one ltteer at a tmie, but rtaher we see tehm as wohle wrods.

cool huh?

njaa

:ph34r:

Edited by naja naja

I think he was taking about genus name rather than species name which is what sativa is.

I think he was taking about genus name rather than species name which is what sativa is.

Nah I'm pretty sure it's species name, genus is far too broad. This is not the first time I've heard about the us,a,and um. I have done a few years of horticultural latin myself, but it's not like I could ask the teacher about sativa and indica, although I have seen indica used for many other genus aswell, from what I understand it literally means ("from india").

But it doesn't matter this is an eileen thread, sorry for goin off topic.

Naja

ed once told us that he was given eileen as a cutting by his mother, hence eileen!

so we don't know how it came into excistance.

maybe it's the product of a cross between a bridgesii and a pachanoi or an other trichocereus.

eileen is a very fast grower, maybe this is a result of x-breed virgor.

there are other bridgesii around which are said to be very potent aswell, one is called bruce (forgot which member found this strain).

so basicly what eileen is is a mistery, maybe bridgesii, maybe bridgesii x cross.

i am no expert on cacti, but all the true bridgesii that i have seen so far where smaller in diametre than the other pedros. maybe bridgesii can get as fat as pachanois, i don't know, if not than this would be a further indicator that eileen is a x cross. so i ask the experts do normal bridgesii get as fat as pachanois when mature?

and boy does Eileen get fat, I got a cutting the other day and it is litteraly as thick as my thigh and as long as my leg!!! I shit you not.. what a beast! I only hope to grow her that well!

Who knows, I just hope that Eileen and Bruce get to fuck someday, so some of their tender young seeds can get sent to us deprived cactophiles here in NZ!!

Guest Mexicali
. Its funny that youmention it though as some trich species then make no gender sense:

Trichocereus arboricola.

The gender of the plant is based upon the Genus name and not the species :)

As far as Lophophorus goes, lol.......well it doesn't go! ^_^

It's important to try and keep nomenclature up to date....there are over 9000 species of cactus and they keep getting moved from genus to genus. Regardless.....

Plants are given Latin and Ancient Greek names and it is in the nature of those two languages to discern the gender of a plant (item/thing) by its spelling. Therefore, the endings -us (Ariocarpus) signify a male plant, since -us in those two languages is used to denote something male, and so on with female and neutral.

Some languages are much richer than English, which has the same article for males, females and neutrals (the boy, the girl, the chair)

B)

Guest Mexicali
Sort of like, penis (gots the right sound I think), vagina, and rectum?

:D

~Michael~

YES MAN!!

You hit the nail on the head :)

Guest Mexicali
Nah I'm pretty sure it's species name, genus is far too broad. This is not the first time I've heard about the us,a,and um. I have done a few years of horticultural latin myself, but it's not like I could ask the teacher about sativa and indica, although I have seen indica used for many other genus aswell, from what I understand it literally means ("from india").

But it doesn't matter this is an eileen thread, sorry for goin off topic.

Naja

Sorry to burst your bubble bud, but it's about genus.

Gender of a plant is ascertained by its genus name and not the species name.

So say someone wanted to come on Eileen would she require them to shell out 200?

IIRC last time reshroomED put some Eileen up for sale he/she was worth $10/1lb, so that someone should write to reshroomED and get on the list, he may, on the off chance, have some spare but if not he will no doubt have some next spring.. only one way to find out :)

Ill have some for trade in future but they are about 2 yrs off.. he, he, he.

may as well keep this in the same thread...

can anyone tell me anything about the TB 'Con' strain? how does it differ from other bridgesii? recently purchased one from SAB, lovely little cactus too, thanks Tort.

Con , bruce , eileen

its no official designation

its just a name we ascribe to a clone with a history worth recording

besides seems nicer than clone 11a/2b/88-5 ;)

eileen is distinctive in her fatness, rate of growth, disease resistance and tendency to go spineless

most other bridge clones ive seen look much of a muchness as its a characteristic of most trichs to shapeshift

so whatever magic lies beneath if i lose a plant tag theres no way i can be sure whats what - except with eileen

Thats cool, I'm always happy to be corrected. 99% of my plant latin knowledge is now overwritten by animal latin and taxonomy. Bastard studying all that time to find out I'm super reactive to dusts and pollen(ie, hayfever) which meant no horticultural employment for me.

:ph34r:

The gender of the nomenclature, or word gender, or the biological gender of the plant as a function of its genetic seuxal identify?

What is the gender of our specific epithet?

The names are Latinized with fixed rules, but the words themselves used in specific epithets need not have any Latin origin. Likewise some argue a clear distinction between Latin as a language and the latinization of botanical and binomial nomenclature. For example the use of the binomial names is not in the context of a phrase or a saying, neither are the words in a Latin context as far as usage in concerned. Though they are Latinized their static nature accommodates their use in numerous languages, not as Latin but as the words themselves.

I do not consider the names latin in any literal sense, and despite the intention of descriptive terminology the epithets are not necessarily descriptive. When I use the name Trichocereus bridgesii I am not including a Latin phrase or name in my sentence, I am including a proper name.

The nomenclature does not determine biological function or the genetic sexual content, the gender of the words applies only to the words and thus would only arise in connection to the word or symbol itself, the cactus as the depicted subject of the name can also have a female name applied to it, in that context the name would be a she in reference, though the specific epithet itself would still carry male connotations.

At least that’s my understanding…

When I use the name Trichocereus bridgesii I am not including a Latin phrase or name in my sentence, I am including a proper name.

BTW - who was Bridges?