The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
indigo264nm

Sceletium Fermentation Question

A bit over a week ago I decided to ferment one of my Sceletium plants, using the method shown on Herbalistics. When I made this decision the weather was very hot and sunny, but the following day the weather decided to go very overcast and rainy. This continued for about 6 days but the past couple of days have been nice and sunny again.

My question is, how do I know if it's ready??? Can it be overfermented???

if you've had them in there for over 6 days it will be ready, it really gets to a stage where you won't notice that it goes any further, it just sits at it's stinky, brown, sloppy mess stage :) Keeping it in there for over 8-10 days and I imagine nasties may start to breed (esp. if you open it a lot to check it and fungi/bacteria slip in), but i'm not sure. Open it and get a sense of the smell, it will help with later fermentations you make as you can recognise the 'ready smell'. The darker/cooler days slow things down, just like with home brew.

Should be about right then... I opened it up yesterday and a bit of gas was released however, but I think it should be ready.

Thanks for the reply.

Figure I'd open this up again since Herbalistics is currently down and that was the guide I was planning to use...

Before I proceed to ferment another lot I would just like to check my method is correct...

Basically I just pick a decent quantity, give it a good rinse in a collander, let it sit for a little bit to dry out and then whack it into a jar and leave in the sun for about 4 days opening the jar up every day or so to let the gas vent out??? Is it wise to leave the stems and root ball in with it as well???

Also does anybody know if there is a huge range in potency between Sceletium emarcidum and S. tortuosum???

Figure I'd open this up again since Herbalistics is currently down and that was the guide I was planning to use...

Before I proceed to ferment another lot I would just like to check my method is correct...

Basically I just pick a decent quantity, give it a good rinse in a collander, let it sit for a little bit to dry out and then whack it into a jar and leave in the sun for about 4 days opening the jar up every day or so to let the gas vent out??? Is it wise to leave the stems and root ball in with it as well???

Also does anybody know if there is a huge range in potency between Sceletium emarcidum and S. tortuosum???

As I understand it, the woody parts of the plant (roots and stems) play an important role in the fermentation process. I like to give the plant material a good 'blitz' in the blender to speed the fermentation process up and make it easier to dry out...

Cant comment on potency.

A bit over a week ago I decided to ferment one of my Sceletium plants, using the method shown on Herbalistics. When I made this decision the weather was very hot and sunny, but the following day the weather decided to go very overcast and rainy. This continued for about 6 days but the past couple of days have been nice and sunny again.

My question is, how do I know if it's ready??? Can it be overfermented???

:lol: Lol,I did exactly the same thing on exactly the same day as you with the same weather pattern

and have been pondering the same question.Only difference is that when it got cooler at night I

put mine on the hot water heater to try and keep the fermentation going.My jar is sitting in the

sun right now for its last day.

Don't forget to bruise the leaves and stem etc. Blended is even better if you can. The fermentation process is used to get rid off the high oxalic acid content in the plant so over fermentation shouldn't really be an issue other than giving nasties more of a chance to get in.

My sceletium has been growing uncontrollably all summer, I've been propogating a whole lot of plants but still I don't know what to do with it.

How much plant matter would be needed to make up a few good doses?

My sceletium has been growing uncontrollably all summer, I've been propogating a whole lot of plants but still I don't know what to do with it.

How much plant matter would be needed to make up a few good doses?

i am led to believe that a medicinal dose is very small.

Any idea in gram weight? or general plant size?

Any idea in gram weight? or general plant size?

i do, but it has slipped my mind... it is on herbalistics website... but it is down right now, sorry

Reproduced from the Herbalistics web site some time ago (thank you darcy!), no pics sorry but apart from that it's all there :wink: :

*edited at the request of the author*

Will post link to page when the Herbalistics webstore reopens tomorrow :wink:

Edited by dqd

i ve seen it mention there is a season to harvest scelly, any ideas, experiences anyone ?

one the rain sets in i get a lot of rot, so i suppose to cut em down befor the rain.

a bit off topic, but does anyone wish to sell me correctly processed kanna for a decent price? regards, Shroomy

I find I need at least one teaspoon of powdered material mixed in a glass of water. I think I will ferment some more sceletium emarcidum in a few days and I will be using the woody stems however this time I will throw them out after fermentation as I really hate chewing on wood and find the stems never have any alkaloids in them. They also Fcuck up your blades on your powderer if you want to turn ur sceletium into powder.

does anyone know levels of oxalic acid in frsh/ unprepared, and fermented prepared? can this prove to be toxic in prepared kanna?

does anyone know levels of oxalic acid in frsh/ unprepared, and fermented prepared? can this prove to be toxic in prepared kanna?

I think the whole point of fermentation is to remove the oxalic acid so if it has been prepared properly there should be none to stuff all. If some remains, drying at low heat in an oven is supposed to drive off whats remaining. Oxalic acid has a distinct smell (stink) and you will know if there is any left over after fermentation when you drive off the remaining moisture in the oven.

As far as levels in unprepared scelly I'm not to sure but I think as with all plants this would vary depending on growing conditions.

I think the whole point of fermentation is to remove the oxalic acid so if it has been prepared properly there should be none to stuff all. If some remains, drying at low heat in an oven is supposed to drive off whats remaining. Oxalic acid has a distinct smell (stink) and you will know if there is any left over after fermentation when you drive off the remaining moisture in the oven.

As far as levels in unprepared scelly I'm not to sure but I think as with all plants this would vary depending on growing conditions.

Fermentation will also make for a more desirable alk makeup, for scelly plants anyway...