The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bsm2wr

Light and Mirrors

Is it possible to reap to the full benefits of an HPS light by bouncing the light from it onto plants via a (large) mirror. Would the lumens reacing the plants still max out at around 40K and would the wavelengths reaching the plants stay the same?

I am by the way having problems finding a way to position my light and ballast above my plants without erecting an hideous wooden scaffold.

bsm2wr

Mirrors are generally are avoided because they cause hot spots and can burn the plants. Other reflective materials are used such as Panda Film or Mylar. Alternatively you could paint the room in flat white paint

apparently mylar is easily obtained as its that shiny stuff on the back of christmas wrapping paper?

Mylar is only better than flat white paint (which has 80% reflection) if it is completely flat (curves and bends reduce reflection). This is difficult to achieve for only 5-10% extra reflection, and probably not worth it.

Mylar also gets dirty and needs to be cleaned on occasion.

Flat white paint (or flat white posterboard from the newsagency) provides high reflection in an easy way.

Remember, if it's glossy or shiny and not "flat" then you don't want it.

Whilst on the topic of hydroponics I am wondering what lighting cycles people are using for the promotion of roots on cuttings???

Have just purchased a 130watt Fluro (one of those nifty ones with the coiled globes) which is amazing for vegative growth and want to adjust the cycles accordingly!

It seems that Dutch Master have some amazing products or claim that they do at least.

Does anyone have any experience with them??

18/6 (light/dark) should be fine. Depending on the plant you are cloning though, 130W may be too much for plants withouta rootball...

seeing as this seems to be a solve my hydro lighting problems thread i will go ahead to :) for cactus seedlings im thinking of using 3 X 120cm 36W cool white fluoros or possibly 4 so that periskiopsis can be grown on the other side and connected so i can turn each one off individually. can anyone reccomend anyhting different? also where is a cheap place for fluoro ballasts or fixture thingys?

Hey Teo,

Have found that electrical wholesalers are good for that style of thing, should be able to find them in the Industrial section of your area.

or

recycling centres have some good finds every now and again!

Thanks Sina :)

Use compact fluorescents, not the tubes. Compacts generate warmth which helps the young cacti grow better in my experience.

Sure, but intensity always is. It's up to you in the end though.

I think a good rule of thumb is 50W/sq ft.

cool :) i will have a look at prices for them. i think either will provide enough intensity for babies. thanks fellas :)