The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Eikel

Germinating Trichs or Lophs

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if I could lean on your intellects and knowledge regarding cacti germination.

Thus far I have been through 12 Lopholora Williamsii seeds and about 20 Trichocereus Panachoi seeds with no luck whatsoever.

I've tried the following:

- Cacti/Succlent potting mix, mixed with perlite and propogation sand at ratios 50% mix, 30% perlite, 20% sand. Seeds were scattered and covered with a thin (5mm or so) layer of propogation sand 3 months later and still no germination.

- Rockwool cubes with seeds placed in tiny indentations on the top of the cube, out of 10 trichs, 1 germinated and died within a week (turned into transparent type jelly stuff).

- Seed-raising mix and perlite at a 50/50mix in tube-stock pots, not even a single germination.

All attempts to germinate were in a humidity chamber with CF's for lighting, or outdoors in a mini-greenhouse with 5-6hrs direct sun each day.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? - media in all cases was sterilized before sowing the seeds.

Thanks,

-- Eikel.

Don't cover the seeds. If you are doing it indoors you need to mist the soil surface daily to keep it moist but wet, and keep the airflow and humidity up, as well as bottom heat.

Check the ethnobotanical wiki link in my sig, both the Lophophora and Trichocereus sections have propagation methods by members of this forum.

EDIT: Keep it up though dude! I completely cooked all 24 seeds of my first attempt, some here might remember it, it was my first post on the forums :P

I'm stupid, I can't do it.
Nice to meet you stupid, you know if you can't then you can't, but maybe you just haven't yet. And since you asked you can't be a stupid person, asking when it can help is a sign of being smart, so you must go by stupid as a name, because it obviously fails to describe you.

Anyway I have had luck with lots of mediums, coir and perlite or verm and perlite, equal parts, work well. I surface sow and then mist daily and drain the containers well. The daily misting can help wash away things that may hinder or inhibit germination, and if using tap water the chlorine can help keep contamination out of the picture.

I have had a lot of luck just sprinkling seeds on a moist medium and covering them and waiting. Your mediums sound interesting but I have used none of them. I also wonder about your seed quality, I have no idea where it came from but quality can vary.

If you don't give up then it is only a matter of time before you prove you can do it.

Have faith, keep at it. Ive been trying for a year to get good results. I put a tray full down a month ago for three germinations. I also nursed 2 lophs through a winter germination to have my dog eat them, sux.

yup definetly dont cover and only use a spay bottle or bottom water, a hose will wash the seeds into the soil.

i dont like perlite, normal cactus mix works well, add some lime to increase pH and seive mix to give a fine surface. also keep out of direct light.