The Corroboree
Eikel

Second opinion on Acacia ID?

I'm trying to identify the acacia species I have on my property.... this one looks to me like obtusifolia, would you guys agree?

Thanks,

-- Eikel.

post-1371-1136890044_thumb.jpg

to me it looks like A.longifolia, maybe even A.floribunda.

I wouldn't say A. floribunda at all... the phyllodes are too large.

Does very much so resemble A. longifolia though.

It LOOKS like an obtusifolia...but the tips are not as blunt as obtusifolias usually are, and the phyllodes do not look as thick... the flowers look different... but it may well be, I doubt it is longifolia, which is a more lighter green, thinner phyllodes and has different flowers...

Julian.

it's impossibel to say looking at a photo like this.

as julien say's, it looks pretty much like obtusifolia.

best would be to have it proper id'ed by your local herbarium.

i might add two more things, obtusifolia has branches allways comming of the main branch with the same angle as an equal sided triangle.

sometimes one can smell the charasteristic smell associated with this accacia by setting light to a phyllode or a bark sample, once alight, blow the flame out and smell the amber...

a photo of the whole tree and one closeup of the bark would be helpfull.

do the flowers have 4 or 5 petals?

do the flowers have 4 or 5 petals?

How do you count petals? They're little balls of yellow fluff on a branch/stick. :huh:

As requested, here's pics of the full plant, folage and internal trunk/branching and a close up of the folage on the plant.

post-1371-1136963192_thumb.jpg

post-1371-1136963287_thumb.jpg

post-1371-1136963333_thumb.jpg

And incase you guys are bored :D

Here's some pics of another one I can't seem to ID.

post-1371-1136963458_thumb.jpg

post-1371-1136963483_thumb.jpg

post-1371-1136963601_thumb.jpg

I am far from an expert, but I am pretty comfortable in saying that it is definitely not an obtusifolia.

The shape of the tree just doesn't look right. Also the anastomising of the veins does not look right. Obtusifolia phyllodes are very distinctive.

It LOOKS like an obtusifolia...but the tips are not as blunt as obtusifolias usually are, and the phyllodes do not look as thick... the flowers look different... but it may well be, I doubt it is longifolia, which is a more lighter green, thinner phyllodes and has different flowers...

Julian.

What's wrong with the flowers? Longifolia has spikes. From the first pics the spikes look interrupted like obtusifolia, though the bit on the left shows the spike complete and the others look to be just maturing so appear more obtusifolia like, but should fill in by the looks of it.

Looks very much like a longifolia to me, it's appearance is quite variable through Vic especially phyllodes.

It appears to have 2-3 primary veins, with anastomising. Phyllode narrowing gradually toward its apex.

When where these photos taken? Alot of longifolia around here has already dropped seed. Any pods on these ones?

When where these photos taken? Alot of longifolia around here has already dropped seed. Any pods on these ones?

The first pic (the one of the flowering branch) I took yesterday, the branch however has been sitting in my filing cabinet waiting to be ID'd for awhile (few months).

The second and 3rd set of pics were taken yesterday, of the plants in question.

After checking a few more comparitive pictures and talking a bit more with you guys, I'm fairly certain it is Longifolia, now, any guesses on the second plant? I'm not even 100% sure it's an Acacia (didn't see it in flower).

The first pic (the one of the flowering branch) I took yesterday, the branch however has been sitting in my filing cabinet waiting to be ID'd for awhile (few months).

Sounding more promising to be longifolia in that case aswell.

Seed pods would more than likely have fallen off by now, any remnants of them present on the tree or scattered beneath? Or do you remember what they looked like and can key them up with ID pics?

Ist pictures: Longifolia, or floribunda, Flowers look like floribunda, beacause they are not as tightly packed as those on the longifolia spike, which looks like a yelllow rod. Also flowering quite late for december, flowers could be old

leaves look more like longifolia

2nd pictures: floribunda i'd say

How do you count petals? They're little balls of yellow fluff on a branch/stick. :huh:

A pocket loupe is an indispensible tool for anyone doing any botany work - no matter how basic. Even a 7X should allow you to count the petals on an acacia 'ball of fluff'. The number of petals narrows down the possible species quite nicely. It will also show if the species you have is closely related to the tryptamine carrying species (and hence worth further investigation even if it isn't obtusifolia).

btw, the number of petals will be identical to the number of sepals and to the number of stamen I believe. In slightly wilted flowers the petals usually can't be counted and you might have to resort to the other parts. Hence, carrying a loupe with you in the field is a really good idea as you can inspect the flower while still on the tree.

you are right, tort a good magnifying glass is a must.

soory for sidetracking...

i love my paraphenelia!

having the right gear, contributes for halve of the fun you can have!!

i mean like the dancer becomes the dancer, by putting on the costume, or the worker by putting on his steelcaps and workcloth.

somehow getting my paraphenelia together stimulates me towards the work which i will perform.

say, i'll do some peres loph grafts.

i search for my razorblades and if i can't find any i take them out of a throw away razor.

than i get the humidety chamber ready, sometimes it's a bucket with a sheet of glass, a softdrinkbottle cut or a brocoli box covered with seethru plastic.

than the tweezers, mangnifying glass and the rest of it.

than once the setup is complete, i have one more cup of tea or coffee or a softdrink, after that "i am all hyped up" to do the work.

the magnifying glass represents an extansion of our body, a superman like extension (i can see x times better, i can touch without getting spiked!! {get it?}) and it's good to think and feel that "we are super humans", as reaching a god like or superman type stage, without becomming a megalomaniac is what life is all about.

do you know how almost every sience doco starts with the person looking thru a microscope?

well get your mangnifying glass out and act the same way,

i bet ya, it feels good!!! :rolleyes::lol: