The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

boiling down plant extracts

you know that crust that gathers around the edges of the pan, what do you do with it? i normally add a bit of water and disolve it all again.

as i was boiling down some plant extract i noticed the apperence of what appeared to be black turds, and they grew. i was curious so i tasted some and they were sweet, so its my belief that they are sugars that burned. anyone else got an opinion?

kinda a random topic but its one of those things lol

sure I got an opinion...

of course I wouldn't do this since it's some sort of extraction and probably illegal but a FOAF said that he quite often boils his ethnobotanical plant extracts down to a paste before consuming them as little rolled-up tablet-sized balls ...

he says it definitely works...

just beware not to burn the paste, that may harm the alkaloids (or whatever)....

it depends on weather or not your using distilled or de-mineralised water if water at all. but most likely if using tap water you will get a crystaline deposit from around the edges of the pot/pan. altho somtimes, depending on tech used, it could be alkaloids but more likely mineral deposits