The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chilli

Small flowering Pach

This Pach I just bought has these flowers appearing on it, even though it is quite small: about 85cm high...

post-1250-1134025124_thumb.jpg

From what I can gather, if I stick some pollen in there there's a chance it may set seed, which I would like to do. Does the pollen need to be from another variety, or just another cactus?

Does anyone have some pollen they can send me before these flowers open? Of course, half of any seed I get would be yours, and these are some very healthy specimens.

Oh yeah, and can anyone tell me how to actually do this, or point out a link that talks about it? Any estimates as to how long before the flowers appear?

Thanks.

"Any estimates as to how long before the flowers appear?"

About 3 months from first appearing.

Probably a waste of time X'ing with pachanoi, how about X'ing with some of those New Zealand "Juul's" :wink: - that'd be cool!

As for pollinating UTFSE and search "pachanoi pollen & flowers", it's all there. ;)

Edited by strangebrew

I agree the juuls is cool but hardly a waste of time with pachanoi

lets not forget that pachs have regularly topped 1% in tests and some equla or exceed 2%

Pachanoi has fallen from favour somewhat due to the lacklustre material available in the past but i still believe in it.

keep growing from seed people. keep sourceing new seed collections

Pachanoi has traits of hardiness to climate and disease and growth rate that surpass other more trendy species

There would be good reason its remained in constant usage for theat least the last 4000 years

and i have pollen of pachanoi

lots. harvetsed fresh today

PM me

Edited by Rev

i'd be happy to send you some pollen from my juuls which has flowers opening in the next couple of days. I'm up in auckland. I'm sure zeewerp can send you some juuls and scop pollen also. I'm itching to grow the future spawn!!!

a little off topic but has anyone tried the flowers yet??? every floral part above the receptacle except the stigma could be removed and still produce seed and then you also get the flower.

Macro flower's are a very big possibilty in a couple of months & since the species is so slow growing rather than X'ing I think I'll give it a whirl if it's a goer - 3 for starters.

When I said X'ing pachanoi was a waste of time I was thinking that there is a greater chance of them being the same clone rather than something like Juul's but then again the range of plants in NZ seems good. There's nothing wrong with good ol' pach at all. :wink:

Thanks for the answers, everyone...

Is there a greater chance of getting seed depending on what pollen is used? Eg. would crossing with Juuls make it less likely to get seed than crossing with another Pach?

Also, what is the overall likelihood of getting seed, and would it be inreased somewhat by having another flowering plant... the reason I ask is that there is still another one of these babies for sale that also has some flowers beginning to appear, and I am considering buying it...

BTW Rev, did you get my PM? I'll be heading to Perth in a week, and would love to get something definite sorted before then, because I just keep spending my money on these damn cheap cacti.

Oh well, it could be worse I suppose...

Oh yeah, one more thing... from what I've read, i gather that its possible to use different pollen on different flowers on the same plant? If so, it will make deciding which pollen to use a lot easier... I will just use one of every kind I can get!