The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Bar Owner Sent To Prison After Drink Kills Patron (USA)

HUTCHINSON, Kan. -- The former owner of a bar in Kansas has been sentenced to nearly four years in prison, for the death of a woman who died of alcohol poisoning.

Prosecutors said Juanita Goodpasture, 31, died after she was served a red, yellow and green concoction called the "Stoplight Challenge."

The $15 drink was so potent that prosecutors said people who bought it were given their money back and a T-shirt if they could remain coherent 30 minutes after consuming it.

Billy Scott, 34, apologized to Goodpasture's family at his sentencing Thursday. He was convicted of involuntary manslaughter last month.

Goodpasture had a blood alcohol content of 0.43 when she was found dead at her home in July of last year.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press.

DEFINATELY not responsible service of alcohol! :saufen2:

im curious, if she died at home how could the bar keep be atributed to the death. whats to say she wasnt kicked out,went home and pissed up there. prolly y he only got 4 years. i think in the US its a $250,000 fine and a loss of your liquor licence for minimum of 10 years.

this also got me curious because a few years back, i was at the tamworth country music festival. went to a wolverines gig. got really really really blind that night. my old man stoped buying me drinks about 2 hours before the gig finnished. on the way out there was a breath-o-lizer machine, get a straw, put in a dollar and blow. i pulled up .41. got me thinking so i look at the doseage

Alcho Blood Level Chart

Heres the link if anyone is curious also

The following is the recipe of the "Stoplight Challenge," taken from a drink card entered into evidence during the trial:

Step One: Green drink

Mix 1 oz. of melon liquor and 1 oz. of vodka (can use Apple Pucker Schnapps in place of melon) into shaker, shake well, strain into a rocks glass

Step Two: Yellow drink

Mix oz. of vodka (use Galliano, if available) into shaker, shake well, strain into a shot glass or rocks glass

Step Three: Red drink

Mix oz. of Hot Damm and oz. of Bacardi 151 rum (can use Cherry Pucker in place of Hot Damn) into a shaker, shake well, strain into a shot glass or rocks glass

i can do more damage with my absinth spoon tied behind my back. :P

Why aren't judges charged for manslaughter, when they send people to prison and then they are killed by a fellow inmate who just doesn't like the look of them?

Seems to be the same reasoning to me.

Somthing else may have killed them, but they never would've died had the judge not sent them to prison.

I think the real issue is that people need to take responsibility for their own actions. Sure, the bartender serving this drink is irresponsible and should probably be banned from bar work and the bar should be fined, but jail???? No way. This woman was drinking with her sister and her mother and they were playing drinking games. Of the four people involved it seems to me that the bar tender carries the least responsibility.

In the early 90's there was a pub/club in Caringbah, NSW that had a vintage leather-bound barbershop chair that clubbers could recline in while buxom, scantily clad girls poured straight spirit combos, a bottle in each hand, straight down the throat of the (paying) punter. The limit was four 'shots' in the chair at a time, which equated to 8 actual standard spirit measures. All in the space of under five minutes.

Then there was the old 'test tube factory', originally a very underground joint in Martin Place, where (also scantily clad) girls (this time in nurses uniforms, often sans undies) would sit on your lap and 'inject' hi-po-rocket-fuel type concoctions into any horny men's mouths from a big-assed barrelled syringe (without the needle). Also offering 'test tubes' of dye-treated glow-under-blue-light high level alc shooters. The only limit was the amount of dosh some people were willing to spend. Ironic that the bar moved to Kings Cross, and became a lot less sleazy......

In NSW, the 'responsible service of alcohol' law has put a stop to such blatant quick-time overdosing.