The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Help with sourcing Calcium carbonate????

What you're saying doesn't appear to make any sense. Assuming the 34% said calcium and not calcium carbonate then that equals about 85% calcium carbonate. The 74% neutralising is probably a figure that desfribes the quality of it's neutralising ability in soil, relating to purity and finesse of powder

And that assumes calcium carbonate is the only calcium compound in it.

What you're saying doesn't appear to make any sense. Assuming the 34% said calcium and not calcium carbonate then that equals about 85% calcium carbonate. The 74% neutralising is probably a figure that desfribes the quality of it's neutralising ability in soil, relating to purity and finesse of powder

And that assumes calcium carbonate is the only calcium compound in it.

I know it doesn't ake any sence thats why I had to ask you guy's/gals.

It DID say CALCIUM CARBONATE, not just calcium. I corenspond all info, correctly, as I see it so it makes as much sence to you as it does to me.

So is it what I want or not?

You can buy it for rock climbing, but it's expensive and I don't have a store here that sells it.

When I used to rockclimb I would get mine from a pottery supply shop.

Don't know what they used it for but was put on to this by another climber.

Bones,mollusc shells,egg shells,caltrate tablets.

Would gypsum do for your project?

25 kg bags are cheap as chips.

dude

go get some garden lime from the hardware store

or superfine aglime at the SBS/IAMA store

cheap as anyway you look at it and you can use teh excess on the garden and in compost to sweeten it

Gypsum is ideal if you want to buffer the pH without changing it much, if you want calcium ions without the alaklising effect or if you need sulphur in a mix

for example if cooking grain or sawdust then gypsum is great

a mix of lime and gypsum can be used in coir casings because coir isnt that acid

but if you are using Peat moss then u need Lime

i may make a mistake but the gist is thus - in decreasing scale of burniness factor

Quicklime - Calcium oxide - ouch. you have a body to get rid of??

Brickies lime - calcium hydroxide - used in the lime soak pasteuristaion methods

Aglime - Calcium carbonate - the good stuff

dolomitic limestone - Calcium carb with lots of magensium - great for planst but no good for shrooms

Gypsum - calcium sulphate. In WA they have natural deposits which are good and clean. Over east insist on natural mined gypsum as teh industrial grade (from flues) is loaded with heavy metals like arsenic!

Calcium Carbonate can be found in packets/box's of "Damp Rid" at any good hardware store or supermarket.

cool, thanks guy's

Should be able to get my hands on it now.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone have an idea on what would be making up the remaing percentage in garden lime if it says that it is 34% calcium carbonate?

I'm assuming the remainder would be made up of just inert material?

Thanks for your help guy's

Calcium Carbonate can be found in packets/box's of "Damp Rid" at any good hardware store or supermarket.

That's calcium chloride. Calcium carbonate isn't hygroscopic

Just out of curiousity, does anyone have an idea on what would be making up the remaing percentage in garden lime if it says that it is 34% calcium carbonate?

I'm assuming the remainder would be made up of just inert material?

I'd assume you're just not familiar with reading fertiliser labeling as I'd very much doubt a product with 34% calcium carbonate can legally be called lime.

If the bag said something like this:

Analysis (dry weight basis) %WW

Calcium (Ca) as Calcium Carbonate 34.0%

It does not mean it contains 34% calcium carbonate it means it contains 34% calcium in the form of calcium carbonate. Like I say that's about 85% calcium carbonate. If the rest was magnesium carbonate I think it would have to be labelled dolomite, so probably mostly inert.

It sounds like a cheap product with only 34% you should expect over 38%. If you're worried about the non caco3 portion spend a couple of dollars more on a 'premium grade', it should say that on the bag.

Just to clarify, it doesn't have to say dolomite to have magnesium carbonate in it. If it's gardeners lime than theres a 99% chance itll have magnesium carbonate in their as well as calcium becoz its hard to separate the 2 and it's expensive to do so.

O.K. here it is.

th_658_DSC02484.JPG

th_445_DSC02485.JPG

Not the same shop or product but pretty similar. I was wrong it does say calcium as carbonate.

Is this stuff alrite for my 50/50+ mix or 60/40

or do I need to source something else?

5 to 1 id say its fine

if not then i suggest going to an agstore and getting a bag of Aglime

32% calcium i sover 80% calcium carbonate. You won't find limestone any purer than that in Oz. Mined shells might go up to 85 or even 90%, but then you also have sodium contamination, so this is never used for gardens.

my lime is listed as 90-95% pure.

I don't remember how expensive it was, what impressed me was how fine the powder was, and as such much greater neutralising ability. I hope it doesn't have sodium chloride in it. I go out of my way to not use any fertilisers with potassium chloride. Chlorides suck.