The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ajna

my new T Pachanoi

hmmm looks familiar...you in perth by any chance?

brisbane actually. there was another one there almost identical in appeance, and a spach too B)

Plant the baby!! Much more rewarding...Plus they are fast growing so you can get best of both worlds eventually.

where did you get it ajna?

i have looked a few times around brissy, most of what i got are from SAB or my local shaman gomaos!!!

gomaos rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally avoid chopping a cactus straight from the plant shop. For the simple reason that to them the cacti are ornamental, and hence they have no problems with using chemical ferts and in many cases some very harsh pesticides, to keep the plants 'healthy' and pest free.

What is that red stuff around the base of the plant? Looks like some kind of spray or dust...could be chemical.

The safest way to go is to only chop plants you've owned for at least a year or so, and not used any chemical pesticides or dodgy fertilizers on them for the time that you've owned em.

But a nice cactus none the less. How much was it? Today I saw in a garden centre, a rather pathetic pachanoi, about 35cm tall and only about 4cm wide, for $50!!! And another one only just a little bit taller for $65. I was shocked and disgusted. Hah. I wonder who actually pays that for them? Probably yuppies who have plenty of cash and just want a cactus to go beside their jacuzzi.

brisbane actually. there was another one there almost identical in appeance, and a spach too B)

I'm in brisbane too.

Whereabouts is that nursery?

doh i forgot!!!!!!!

good score man!!!!

What is that red stuff around the base of the plant? Looks like some kind of spray or dust...could be chemical.

that is dust from the red clay/soil it was in before i repotted it, nothing nasty :)

this cactus was $60, not a bargain. measuring in about 65cm x 10cm

$60 bucks is quite good imo

where abouts was the nursery?

Hi,

i´m with zee_werp because of the chopping! I would strongly disadvice you to ingest any kind commercial cactus material because you can never know the exact degree of contamination with Insecticides,fungizides,...

I´m sorry if i sound harsh but but it would be very sad if you and your girlfriend would aquire some serious liver disease as Birthday Present.

Most of the commercially available Cacti have a very high grade of Contamination and you should let them grow for at least 5-10 Years! Seriously! Some growers treat them consciously with long living Pesticides to make them impossible to ingest. The High Rate of Cancer within the Group of Cacti Breeders is very alarming. Especially during the era of the long living pesticides!

For Most Breeders the commercial interests prevail as they don´t expect that someone could ingest a cactus. It´s likely that plants which live as long as cacti have witnessed at least one or two Treatments with pesticides during their life. In Addition Cacti are enhanceing toxins and decompose them very slowly!

It looks very identical to a number of T pachanoi I have. I have never seen a scopulicolis that was glaucous or had long spines. There seem to be two very distinct species getting called scopuliclous.

I don't know why you would ever want to cut it, it is lovely.

Hi Archaea,

i was unclear about that. I actually meant Trichocereus scopulicola var. Rio Mizquiensis aka Tr. Riommizquiensis pictured in Trouts San Pedro Book S. 215. But i´m not sure if it´s glaucus because of the b/w pics. BestRegs

It is a bit glaucous actually, and I understand why you might see a resemblance. I wish I new more about the riomizquensis, perhaps Mike or Trout has some information?

I have one that I might take a picture or two of today.

It's certainly a standard T. pachanoi. The T. riomizquensis, as the name suggests, would come from the Rio Mizque valley of central Bolivia, somewhat in between T. bridgesii of La Paz in the north and T. scopulicola of the south (Tarija), but to the east a bit. T. riomizquensis does have an appearence of being somewhat intermediary between these two species, but the provenance of the plants in collections isn't absolutely certain.

Here's mine from NMCR, a plant which probably came from Knize. I also have one that came through the French C&S Society, but which has much more affinity to central Peruvian Trichocereus.

~Michael~

post-19-1128877543_thumb.jpg

Here is my SS riomizquensis. I'd love to get a cut of this to you next season Mike.

It is a fast grower. I need a tripod for taking pictures, I love slower shutter speeds but don't have the steady hand close up slow shutter speeds mandate.

I could imagine the plant you show being intermediate between bridgesii and scopulicolus.

These pics might be slow to load for some...

post-1018-1128879796_thumb.jpg

post-1018-1128880135_thumb.jpg

thanks for the commercial cactus warning, guys. there's plenty of other ways we can celebrate the day without having to destroy this (particular) cactus ;)

edited

Hey ajna, keeping the location a secret hey? Good move!

nice cactus

definitely a pachanoid

65 x 10 for 60

incl the 2 side pups

and its healthy

not bad

Cacti beyond seedlings stage are rarely cheap. Like any advanced plant it take several years and care to get to that size

what poisons if any do you guys use?

I use the contact fungicide mancozeb on black rot applied to the lesion.

most cacti never get it so its use is limited

and i use rogor (dimethoate) as a soil drench on very susceptible specimen plants those always seeming to be mammilaria and chamaecereus. Its a systemic and the only way ive found to deal with root mealies. Id never use this on the trichos just in case it accumulated in their delicious fruits

scale gets soap and or pyrethrin wipe