The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Shroom-Aura

Panaeolus antilarium or papilionaceus

gallery_513_2_83499.jpg

gallery_513_2_125317.jpg

Found my first Panaeolus (i assume) species last week. The black spores around the stem where the veil was means they have to be Panaeolus. However these specimens were fairly dry and difficult (for me) to identify. According to Paul Statmets book P. papilionaceus, P. campanulatus, P. sphinctrinus and P. retirugis are synonymous. However these lack the toothlike remenants of veil that are disctinctive of this species. So anyone know what species i found? And if its a good indicator of psilocybin producing species being in the area

P.Antillarium usually is more white when young. Did you see some young ones without the black blotches on the cap?According to the pictures i saw the lamellae aren´t usually that black as the ones on your pic!

P. antillarium developes some black blotches when mature, so the shrooms on the pic could actually be some but i have doubts!

I personally don´t think that they might be P. papilionaceus as these normally have a completely different coloration.Brown to a reddish brown or cinnamon. As you mentioned, they also lack the typical remenants of the veil . I´d Sporeprint them, they look interesting to me.

Unfortunately there were no younger specimens the only ones I found were these. Yeah I think you are right EG they are probably antillarium. Maybe the gills go darker as it ages/gets weather beaten, like the blotches on the cap. I didn't take any home to spore print (too dry??) but the print would no doubt be black, you can see a black spore deposit around the top of the stem in the second photo. Next time I'll hopefully find some fresher specimens to make id-ing easier.

wasnt it true that one of these species has a reported low serotonin content?? Eat heaps and find out - they arent poisonous providing your sure they have a black spore print

Hi there,Im new to these forums so forgive me if Im out of turn but how many mushies is heaps B.M. ?

all Im going by is what I read on this forum and stamets book but I reckon I got at least one if not two panaeolus species at our local stable.

antillarum & subbalteatus(I hope)

hey bm antillarium is the hysteria fungus, does that have something to do with the serotonin? i dont like to eat large amounts of any kind of mushrooms let alone unpalatable ants and i could only find less then ten in my "field". heres some pics today of almost fresh specimens (cracked caps) found metres away from the previous ones. these look a lot more antillariumlike to me.

gallery_513_2_85226.jpg

gallery_513_2_63680.jpg