The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
LurkiestLurker

Google Earth as hunting tool

Some of you may already know about this but google has this funky world view satelite map program that just became free.

I have been using it to scout out some 'hunting grounds'. If your searching in an area where they have high quality satelite images (you'd be supprised), you can pick out individual cars on a road or individual trees).

I've been using it to locate areas of interest (low lying, close to creeks, near existing walking trails) all within 15 minutes of my doorstep.

It spits out long/lat and GPS co-ordinates. You can also plot journies and mark areas of interest for later study.

Within 20 minutes of locating my suburb (which can be tricky), I was able to find several potential sites all within 1km of road side parking.

It could also be used to relay (if you really felt the need) locations to others (but we all know the problems that can cause).

NOTE:

You'll need a fat internet connection (dialup will take a while) and you must be online to use it.

They apparently have a paying service that gives you better access (plug in your gps, higher quality maps) but the free version is AMAZING!

http://earth.google.com/

Hope you find it as useful as I have..

I recently downloaded google earth. It is a psychedelic experience on it's own. I was playing with it and did consider these kinds of uses but none of the maps I was looking at resolved clearly enough to be all that helpful. But finding my house was fun!

quote:

Google Earth downloads temporarily delayed

Thanks for your interest in Google Earth, but we're sorry we can't offer you a download right now. As you know, Google Earth is in beta, and we're still building out our ability to take on new users. We're making good progress, and expect to be able to accept new downloads shortly, so we recommend you check back daily at earth.google.com. We hope to be able to welcome you and other new planet surfers soon.

We appreciate your patience,

The Google Earth Team

Dam , sounds like fun ! Oh well it the last day of the FY so i really should be working anyway.

You also have to use Windows.

I don't have it :P

Oh this is fun. I spent the last hour or so tracking down my house, then my families house in canada and then my old school, and i even found the rock in a park where a gnome of mine first did shrooms so long ago :D

I have the google earth installer if downloads are still on hold. If anyone can offer server space it could be made available.

[ 02. July 2005, 07:24: Message edited by: creach ]

Linux, FreeBSD, BeOS, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, and a few others

yeah i also run linux (suse)

and what a shame they dont make it available for linux/unix or mac

[ 02. July 2005, 07:48: Message edited by: hebrew ]