The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hajuu

Mushroom hunting.

Hey there.

Uhm. just today I had my first magic mushroom experience (off bought mushrooms), and I was wondering if it was still mushroom season down south in WA? I'm up around Perth and thinking about heading down this weekend if someone can fill me in on some details on a) where to find some down near dunsburough/bunbury or something and B) what to look for and c) if it is still actually season for them or not...

Cheers.

It's comforting knowing you've enjoyed it, but do you realise how incriminating your post is?

People are not going to help you break the law, it's that simple.

No offence, but you've got lots of reading to do, use the search engine, and go through all the posts in the appropriate forum, there is heaps of knowledge already available.

There is room for zero error with wild fungi ID.

People tend to be a little short around here when you incriminate yourself. Your incriminating post draws attention to us all, please change it.

Another thing to note is that people don't like to give away 'their' hunting grounds (draws attention from several types of unwanted sources) and I;m pretty sure it is against the forum rules.

Thirdly everyting you have asked about can be found by searching the forums, by not searching first and asking second you will tend to annoy some of the more senior members here (the ones who have much of the knowledge). It was your first post, so you'll probably get away with it if you fix it nice and quick.

I suggest you change your post, and check out the wealth of information in this forum by searching through the many and varied posts in the Mycology Section.

Given that you have asked where should I look, what should I look for, and will I be able to find them when I get there. It seems that you need to do some research (there are a lot of *VERY* poisonous mushrooms around, some of them only give you one chance). It wouldn't be very good (for anyone) for you to tell them in the emergency ward that the people on that forum said "I can eat any mushroom that doesn't make a penny tarnish"... just before you die.

With that said, people here (IMO) are very friendly and will gladly 'help' you. They do expect you will help yourself first.

You should investigate:

- Which mushrooms are found in your area (including poisonous, edible and the ones you want to *photograph* [magic ones] and look-a-likes)

- Their normal growing environment (wood, dung, grassland etc)

- What they 'look like' (so you quickly *guess* if they are your target)

- Correct identification techniques (so you can be sure [or sure that you are unsure] of what you found).

There is a post about mushroom identification (either here or eba or shroomery) which will tell you what you need to do to get the more knowledgable people around here to help (or better confirm) you find.

Failure to prepare, is preparing to eat a poisonous mushroom (or something like that).

The season is still cranking.

Friends of mine went picking yesterday and found the biggest patch they'd ever seen.

Unfortunately they were spotted by our law-enforcing friends and had their fresh and delicious-looking bounty confiscated :(.

Hajuu, If your interest in finding is strong enough, then you shall find. I searched for several years before I found, all the time building a greater respect fot the prize. (a little tip *Dont go by a description , (they are brown, go blue ect...All the mushrooms look like that when you dont know exactly what you are looking for. * A picture would be of great assistance, however the only sure and safe way to accumulate this knowledge is to befriend someone who knows.. You need a guide to find your first shrooms. Goodluck

LurkiestLurker:

That was a great post, very informative for a newbee.

medicinedan:

Sounds like you had it hard mate, I found a patch on my own after a few months of reasearch and then probabaly about 3 weeks of solid searching during the very end of the season so it was very far and few between.

By that time your so familar with what to look for its not as hard and your constantly looking for potential patches or area's to come back to while yur out and about.

Ive got a list of about 15 paddocks to check once things get warmer again., (Eastrn-coast season)

My best advice is to go the the Erowid mushroom vault and look in the australian section. lots of good info and color pictures there.

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online...ooms_aunz.shtml

Thats a standard 1st post dude lol i remember mine lol Alot of People come in here asking for mushrooms, Lsa etc. Hang around show interest do a hell of a lot of research and keep at it :D Go to a local Ethno meet and find some ppl with similar interests :) If u have persistence You shall find what your looking for Hajuu :D

Ok lol... I get the idea.. just one thing.. if I was theoretically to go looking... would I have a decent chance of finding some in bunbury?

By the way.. im fairly sure that the law states that even though possession is illegal, after they have been consumed, they are not.

[ 01. July 2005, 12:59: Message edited by: Hajuu ]

quote:

Originally posted by Hajuu:

[QB] Ok lol... I get the idea.. just one thing.. if I was theoretically to go looking... would I have a decent chance of finding some in bunbury?

Try inland and further south. The spot is very well known. I'm sure you'll be able to find the exact location somewhere in this forum.

[edit]

[ 04. July 2005, 13:43: Message edited by: macro ]

cops seem to come down harder on perth pickers than any other state

never heard of busts or patrolling picking areas in any other state

Yeh WA does seem to have it in for Pickers :( Havent really heard much about the other states does anyone have any info on bust's in other states?