The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
AndyAmine.

What size pressure-cooker takes 1/2pint jars?

I was hoping someone could tell me what size pressure cooker is needed to fit 1/2 pint canning jars safely. either high or volume would be fine.

Secodnly, does anyone have a good source for canning jars in S.E QLD or the Nth Coast?

Thanks in advance.

dolmio jars work good i hear!

Canning jars are the perrenial problem for the budding mycologist. The best compromise is to use drinking glasses and make an alfoil lid. But a better idea is to can the whole canning jar idea and go bulk!

Has anyone ever seen a place to obtain Microboxes from? You dont have to be in a "as clean" environment with these

Thanks for the info fellas, Ill keep it in mind.

I kind of want to stick to jars for the moment, I've found some at an aussie online store so I guess Ill just order them.

I would still be very greatful if someone could tell me how tall a 1/2 pint canning jar is or what size cookers people are using though?

Im guessing 6ltrs and up or 30cms+ (vertical) is the way to go?

Just make one dodie303, there's lots of designs on www.shroomery.com but all it really is in its basic form, is a clear storage box with some holes cut out of the front or sides to fit some long armed washing gloves.

Here is a link to a thread at EBA where is was recently discussed.

EBA link to glovesbox discussion

[ 03. June 2005, 10:05: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]

save yourself the trouble... cakes suck big times

casings are much easier and more robust

plus you get bigger yields.

its only an extra 2 weeks or so depending on your species

Yeah, cakes are really not worth it - I wish someone had told me that the first few batches I did, because once you discover the power of the casing you will not go back.

nah dude

this is better

electric!

allamericanelec_25x.jpg

"75X Electric Sterilizer

1349 Cubic Inches

41.5 Quart Liquid Capacity

120 Volt 50/60 Hz, 1650 Watts/13.75 Amps

- - - Or - - -

240 Volt 50/60 Hz, 1650 Watts/6.88 Amps

(Orders outside of the USA please contact us for shipping arrangements.)"

http://www.mycosupply.com/cgi-bin/shopper....tion&key=ALSS01

no more sittin in front of it for 2 1/2 hours

i bought 1 from here and they are very good

only downside is that the timer doesnt go for more than 1 hour and also doesnt turn it off when the timer finishes

however to get a you euat set n walk away model is going to cost u 10K plus plus

just under 10x the price of this model and will a heap of Fkn electronics n fancy gadgets waiting to go wrong on you...

thanks for the link tho - good for spare parts

[ 06. June 2005, 08:22: Message edited by: Rev ]

I forgot about you showing me that one, more space then an autoclave of the same price and just as good for myco.

Hmmmm, your a fucky lucker.. I can only hope to be able to afford one of those in the future, if you ever decide to sell it you know where to find me .. LOL :D

Im looking at the following ones from the pressure cooker center. Im wating on a reply to let me know which ones can hold 15psi.

Hawkins, 6.5 litres Alu. Standard $80

Hawkins, 8 litres Alu. Standard $90

Hawkins, 10 litres Alu. Standard $105

Hawkins, 14 litres Alu. Standard $149

Silampos - Classic, 6 litres Aluminium $85

Silampos - Classic, 8 litres Aluminium $99

Silampos - Classic, 10 litres Aluminium $120

Silampos - Classic, 12 litres Aluminium $135

[ 06. June 2005, 11:39: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]

I contacted the pressure-cooker center regarding which cookers could reach 15psi and I thought the reply would be helpful for others.

Thank you for your enquiry and yes we can help you with an appropriate pressure cooker for your needs. However the only pressure cookers available in Australia that reach 15 psi are the

following:

All Hawkins models, ______(15.0-psi)

Evinox Rapid, ___________(15.4-psi)

Evinox Europe, __________(15.4-psi)

Silampos Superquick, _____(16.8-psi)

Fagor Duo, _____________(15.0-psi)

No Classic style pressure cookers from any brand come even close to 15psi

[ 06. June 2005, 12:58: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]

Don't get too picky unless you're planning some serious science. If it's a pressure cooker it'll do! I've got two, one which came from an opshop and one from the swapmeet. The first doesn't seal properly and definitely doesn't reach 15psi. However it still makes decent PF cakes for my edibles (only slightly higher contam rates than the other one).

Its a matter of finding one thats big enough, all the ones Ive found in Op-shops etc have been the 4ltr variety which is to small for upright jars.

You should be able to get spare parts for your leaking cooker through the link in one of my above posts.

If Im paying more than $40 I may as well spend twice as much and get a new one that can do what I want. The Hawkins 10ltr looks like the way to go.

Well andy if u ever do need a u beaut one like mine let me know and we might as well import as one order and save on shipping

they are such good value ill prob end up getting a couple more over the next year or 2 if biz goes well

(no more work to run 3 p/c's than 1)

hmmm but can the house circuitry hold the load?

These guys are in Victoria , they don't have the electric one but they seem to stock some big pressure cookers http://shop.centre.net.au/index.html?cat=0...C0008LR&it=prod

Sorry this link has already been posted above. :o

[ 09. June 2005, 00:15: Message edited by: 2b ]

Thanks for the help anyway 2b, and Rev, ya never knmow.. I tend to get pretty passionate about my hobbies so ya never know.. :)

Unless I can find one in an opshop which hasnt happend so far, I think Ill save up for the 10ltr Hawkins model, it can hold 15psi and is only $105. better off paying the extra $15 for another 2ltrs.

For what it's worth Aldi have a 7.5L that holds 13psi for sale at the moment for $69.00. Works fine for me.

creach:

Yeah, cakes are really not worth it - I wish someone had told me that the first few batches I did, because once you discover the power of the casing you will not go back.

yeah true. Vermiculite casings are easiest for the newb as they are inert

however ill have to put up my design of a halo-bubbler

reconciles cosntant aeration, filtration and humidfication in one - and u build it from shop bought stuff

itd make cakes more feasible

quote:

however ill have to put up my design of a halo-bubbler

Kinda like a cool mist humidifier ?

do you place it under the perlite/geolite with the holes facing upwards to push the dead air up or do you place it ontop of the perlite with the holes facing downwards to push the air down and out?

Yeahy, I finally found some canning jars.

I found them at Kmart as suggested, they have Cucinaware 250ml widemouth canning jars for $1.50 and they have the 2 piece threaded lids so you dont need to cut the lid at all if you want to add a filter..

The have 2 types of 250ml jars, one short and squat and the other thin and tall. I bought some of each so I guess Ill find out which is best.

Has anyone here used fritted filter discs instead of tyvek or pollyfill?