The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
smogs

associated health risks

just wondering what sort of health risks a mycophile might endure? i just got a fungal infection on m tongue, seeing as im not asthmatic, a smoker, heavy drinker, or heavy tea/coffee, diabetic i think its probably someway related to fungal stuff.

Was wondering how bad it is to breath in the nasty green clouds that appear when getting rid of an infected jar, obviously i try to avoid it and do it outside but should i be wearing 1 of those dust filter thingies?

i cant imagine fungal spores in your lungs being good... warm, dark, damp

!

eep, those clouds don't sound good, PC your funky jars before opening!!! especially heavy contam ones.

I'm not well experienced in the field, but anything where you are growing unwanted nasties is definately a health risk. Sorry i couldn't be much help, definately wear a GOOD mask if you aren't going to PC the hell out of bad jars. It's a pain PCing contam jars but at least it gives a bit less stress.

thats a good idea... have you tryed this? does it stop the spores being a fine powder still? maybe i should open the jar and boil it in water so it turns into a paste thats nasty but more safe

:)

This reminds me of the stories you hear of people infected with AIDS and other immune supresing disease. Like this guy had the roof of his mouth split opening from a mushroom(s) growing up there.

Yeah I do it with all my jars that have run into problems so far. I think rev/bm or another good myco person was the one who mentioned it so i've just stuck to it. I've never let my jars get too infested though, as soon as anything shows I PC straight away when i've got the time. I then empty the grain straight into the closed compost when they are done.

I incubate in my room at the moment so am very cautious of letting anything harmfull grow too long even if the polyfill is doing it's job, don't want those little fellas in my lungs nor on my walls/roof.

I dont know much about this - although a common mold that infets mushroom substrates is aspergillus (more common green than trich btw) and this one can really fuck you up if it gets into your lungs.

The dudes at the mushroom farm walk around snorting mold spores all day and they seem fine but stamets says its all bad

best to just chuck them.

hmm i might pc them from now on

im lazy with checking on my cultures... i find things happen much faster when u dont watch them :)

I find once you PC it, the grain seems alot more moist so it shouldn't puff into a powder when you empty it. Maybe if it doesn't work try injecting some water through the polyfill before the PC to get a bit more moisture in, everytime i've done it you can't see any sign of contam after the cook.

Might even be worth wearing a mask on top of all that anyway just for the hell of it. This is going to be a life long hobby, maybe even backyard business in the future for me, so i need these lungs and my health to last the distance.

What do you do BM? (if you plan to keep actual jar)

PC for half the timeit took to sterilise it

dispose of the whole jar if using recycled jars

or

wear a mask and spoon/shake out into a pit in the garden (or rubbish bin for flat dwellers)

rinse out jars with hose and drop into a soak tub with bleach to finish it off

If you're running low-fi would the mickywave do the same job?

Water added of course (don't want to hear the crackle of the magnetron do we kiddies?)

nuking works but do you want to do it in a piece of equipment you cook your food in?

Good point!

Um Smogs...that does not sound good!

You definately don't want a fungal infection.

Out of precaution, did you go to the doctor to get diagnosed and if so did they check you out fully as fungal infections aern't that common in healthy people. ie; fungal infections can also be a sign of poor immune function.

Have you been well otherwise?

yeah i went to doc... had a swab done and tested at lab

came back as some general fungus thats easy killed

also im sucking on anti fungal thingies and its pretty much dead... just a little bit still there

and no im nice and fit!

thats why i think it was mushroom related rather than some other thing