The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Early season??

thanks for the correction, I had heard of them referred to as death caps by a friend of mine years ago while picking and was wary ever since.

I saw a picture which looked identical to them afterwards (probably innacurate photo) & thought he knew what he was talking about. Oh well it's better to clear that up now rather than later.

thanks again.

Death caps are generally Amanita species

there are dozens of Amanita species in australia and so far all are mycorrrhizal species growing in the vicinity of trees

They occur at the base of trees where they form a symbiosus with the tree roots

they are not free living - such as out in the field

The macrolepiotas do bear a superficial resemblance to amanita but there are differences. juts a few key ones easy to spot - like that dettached annulus i mentioned

heres M dolichaula - note size - big shrooms and quite imposing in the moonlight 'specially if youve already eaten some other types :D

normal_macrolepiotadolichaula_small.jpg

and a south western relative found under a casaurina

macrolepiotakonrad.jpg

that's them.

thanks for the pics there aren't too many pics of them around on the net, not in comparison to death caps.

if anyone's keen on going for a field trip round newcastle / central coast PM me.

Hey all, im back. What happened to EBA? The URL is a dead link now. So has anyone from SA found copes yet or know if they will be popping up soon? There has been a lot of rain and hot weather so I reckon it should be time. I've only ever found subs this will be my first time looking for copes. I heard they are rare in SA so what do you think my chances are?