The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

the possibility of another El Ninio!

yep, what that last guy said! damn we've had it dry in the south, rainfall way below average for the last year or three.

It's been a weird year weatherwise, but there isn't much indication for another el nino. 4 out of 7 models predict some form of warming, but really they are just guessing - all models have been shown to be quite useless in predicting el nino across the June phase.

The most worrying sign is that the Australian model is fairly convinced of an el nino and this (IMHO) is the most reliable model.

This is usually one of the soggiest times of the year for us in the subtropics. Lots of rain, some late disintegrating cyclones and not enough sunshine to dry the soil. Daniel and I were just talking about it today how low the creeks are and how dry the soil is. It has been a dismal 2 years to try and start a botanic garden....

Its been ridiculously dry here in Perth, well into autumn theres only been one or two days with very light occasional showers...

You want to try driving out west of Canberra, through the burnt-out pine forests - it looks like a lunar landscape. This is part drought, and part the impact of the clearing that has been performed. If you ever wanted evidence of how well-adapted eucalypts are to fire, this is it. Most of the gums are still standing, whereas the pine is completely cactus.

Now, one of the reasons I raise these issues is because I am after information. Having recently moved to Canberra, I have to start all over again to find the mushie patches. In very broad terms, how far does one usually have to travel, ie, Brindabellas, coastal plateau, or even snowfields way?

we used to go up the Brindabella's.... although that was quite a few foggy years ago, so I can't be much help with directions.

not sure how relevant this is to mushies though... i mean ... yeah sure but maybe chill space??

Originally posted by Mesqualero:

not sure how relevant this is to mushies though... i mean ... yeah sure but maybe chill space??

You must have some VERY special mushies up there if they pop up in decent quantities without decent rain

El nino and la nina are probably the most important natural factors on either end of the scale in regards to wild and natural mushroom growth. Indoor cultivation makes many people forget that....

And the new BOM update is out. SOI has dropped dramatially in the last month and predictions of el nino are still above average. The new MJO might be starting this week which might see a bit more tropical monsoonal activity and hence a bit more moisture coming down the east coast or down through the Qld inland. This 2-3 weeks phase is likely the last chance for decent tropical and subtropical rains for this season.

Yeah true but what I meant it isnt specific to mushies is it... :P Rain is required in general for most of the relevant plants :)

why wait for rain,get out there and rupture water mains.

JK,following my advice is both dangerous and illegal,not to mention strenuous and silly.