The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

ID help?

I've looked thru the Fungimap CD, I've looked through a field guide, an' I'm stumped. OK I'm not the brightest cookie in the box ( see? ) when it comes to fungi, but this one turned up in the woodpile out the front, growing on Euc forest bark.

For a minute I thought it was Stropharia rugosannulata, but it doesn't have the scrappy ring on the stem. Spore print is white, and no blue staining is evident. Do any of you more clued up types have any idea? Or do I not have enough info?

smcap.JPG

smgill.JPG

smwhole.JPG

ye have provided no clue as to size. my first instinct would be to disregard because of its similarity (at first glance) to a.phalloides. but to the the budding mycologist that could be seen as a bit of a cop-out.

Where are the similarities??

There is no Ring and there is no volva... Amanita is therefore ruled out. So yeah it is a bit of a cop out :P

My guess would be Pluteus spp.. which has pink spores...

But more info is needed.. sizes of cap and stem... texture of the cap..slimy?? how firmly is the cap attached? A general good all around description... just grab a fungi book and copy the way they do it...

Other than that my little pocket guide hasnt got a good enough key to work this one out... also having a fresh specimen would be handy..

Definitely not gourmet or medicinal though... imho

This species seems to belong to pluteus genera (by its general form and above all by its rotted wood substract) but I am not sure 100% cause I don't see any pink coloration on mature gills on the photo. If you have seen any slight pink coloration on the mature gills, this species is well a pluteus but to determine the precise species a little more research is necessary.

'Spore print is white, and no blue staining is evident. Do any of you more clued up types have any idea? '

My guess is Marasmius, although the gills are to crowded. The hidden forest website might give you more info.

The only pink spored mushrooms ive ever found on woodchips were Volvariarra (sp?) but ive often read about pluteus species.